Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in soldering:Hot Rod Wrecker Project Update 2/1/15

Hi Folks,

Mike, Thank you buddy :)

Austin, Appreciate your kind words!

Thanks Greg

Hi Jim, thought you would like the new direction.

Thanks David :) :)

Hello Danno, Good to see you still around :D

Thanks Red

Dave, Thank you!

Clay, Thanks and I get by with an assortment of heat sinks and pre planing. For heat sinks I use self closing tweezers, wooden clothes pins and bits of wet paper towel. The planning comes in when deciding how to assemble the pieces. I try to join the largest parts together first, they usually take the most heat applied the longest time. Then work down to the smaller stuff.

Jason, Thank you!

Hi Rob, I'm coming around to your idea slowly but surely :D

Going to go with a hood but no sides. The piano hinge is from ModelCarGarage....

003-Copy.jpg

004-Copy.jpg

006-Copy-1.jpg

Looking good, Randy. Real good.

I see your early post about what you use in soldering, but I can't tell what flux you have there. That seems to be the steaming road apple in my path to a proper solder joint...could you enlighten me?

Hi Folks,

Thanks Derrick, Sorry it took so long to come back!

Hi Brad, Thank you my friend :)

Thank you Chris, I will get you the name of the stuff I use.

Not much of an update, Making up the window frames and shot a little paint on the front end to see how that would look with the copper body...

022-21.jpg

030-13.jpg

more....

Thank you Chris, I will get you the name of the stuff I use.

Not much of an update, Making up the window frames and shot a little paint on the front end to see how that would look with the copper body...

Thanks, I appreciate it.

That's right, your front beam was plastic. I'd think that these parts would blend right in nicely with some of the buffing metalizers. Might look particularly cool if you used them after some distance spraying to get a light cast texture. Buffing over the texture really gives it a unique depth. Maybe try it out on a scrap part if you haven't before and see if it fits the bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Randy, you're back, thought you had dropped off the face of the earth. Almost missed this thread, since they rearranged catagories since your last post. You've proved that we can build anything if we put our mind to it. (we may need a bit of practice) You are truly an insiration to us all, we are glad to see you are back.

Edited by uncle potts