Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in soldering:Hot Rod Wrecker Project Update 2/1/15

That is all for now, as always, comments are welcomed!

Randy

I think your project is really cool. I love seeing street rods built to a high standard. I think one day we'll see a street rod at GSL that will rival anything Gerald Wingrove has built.

I missed thanking some folks who replied a few days ago...

Rick, Thank you!

Tony, Appreciate the comment!

Bernard, Thanks!

and from yesterday..

Custom Mike, Thanks and please keep me posted on your progress. I would love to be able to solder aluminum.

Thanks Lee!

Randy

042-4.jpg

055-1.jpg

058-1.jpg

063-1.jpg

064-1.jpg

065-1.jpg

066.jpg

067-2.jpg

It works pretty smooth right now. It is a bit oversized compared to the real thing but part of it will tuck up into the firewall so I think it will look o'kay in the end.

That is all for now, comments are welcomed!

Randy

Wow! I am amazed at the craftmanship. the steering looks really cool. what tools do you use for cutting and drilling the brass? I look forward to seeing this progress. also how much can be disassembled for painting?

Thanks to all who commented, it does help to keep one motivated during a project :):)

Danno, Ft. Collins! where were you?

Randy, I work with simple hand tools, same ones I use for plastic. A good set of files is a must! Brass is soft and easy to shape. You will see some painting as I go along now, the plan is that the cab and rear bed will be seperate assemblies that will bolt to the frame.

Randy

I am impressed....the work done without a resistance unit is top notch.....Randy next time at the supply store look into Tix solder, flux AND anti flux....works with a smidge less heat and is as strong as silver.....and the antiflux keeps things neater!!B)

well randy, you have me wanting more. not only that, but you have me also wanting to drive to colorado just to see this in person when your done with it.

i was wondering if you wouldnt mind showing what you use to solder? iron, wire ect.. i have a slight idea, but want to know for sure. B)

well randy, you have me wanting more. not only that, but you have me also wanting to drive to colorado just to see this in person when your done with it.

i was wondering if you wouldnt mind showing what you use to solder? iron, wire ect.. i have a slight idea, but want to know for sure. B)

Good GOD!

This build is progressing very nicely!

Your build quality is outstanding! You are blurring the line between hobby and ART.

How do you control your heat on the brass to keep from melting joints when bonding adacent joints ?

I also want to know what heat sinks your using....I can only use a micro torch for silver..thats why I love my Tix

Thanks Derrick!!

For Luis, My humble soldering setup :);)

004-49.jpg

005-58.jpg

Seeker, Success in soldering using the iron that I use comes with careful planning about wich part goes on first, then using heat sinks to isolate the work area from the rest of the project. I also tend to build simple jigs using small strips of basswood and clamps to hold stuff that might loosen, in place.

You must,must, must!!! 'tin' each surface to be joined. If both parts have 'tinned' then they should join quickly and hopefully nothing else falls off B):lol:

006-56.jpg

For Mike, I use a lot of wooden clothes pins and self closing tweesers and also use the small strips of wet paper towel trick. How do you like using a torch? Been meaning to try one. Got some Tix solder to try out, thanks for the tip :D

007-49.jpg

Hop this makes some sense,

Randy

You must,must, must!!! 'tin' each surface to be joined. If both parts have 'tinned' then they should join quickly and hopefully nothing else falls off ;):D

For Mike, I use a lot of wooden clothes pins and self closing tweesers and also use the small strips of wet paper towel trick. How do you like using a torch? Been meaning to try one. Got some Tix solder to try out, thanks for the tip :)

Hop this makes some sense,

Randy

I normally use my Ungar utc200 adjustable micro iron with tix about 700 degrees..and of course proper cleaning, fluxing, tinning...and anti flux.

I use an ancient micro torch for silver....but I spend more time heatsinking than anything else...and after years of using Tix..I don't use silver much anymore.

I used to build brass flopper slot car chassis with silver for strength until I found Tix.

Great work Randy...keep it coming :lol::DB)