Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in soldering:Hot Rod Wrecker Project Update 2/1/15

Randy, in my opinion this has to be the most unbelievable model I've seen come together in recent memory. The scratch building and "spot on" paint detailing truly make this build a work of art. This is definitely in a class by itself. Most guys cant achieve results like this building in "large scale" and you are doing it in 1/24. Simply wonderful. I've saved all of your photos so far for future reference. Amazing! Keep up the outstanding work, and thank you for sharing this masterpiece. Hope you stay around the forums for a long time, I'd love to see more projects from you both past and present.

Tyler, No offense taken but a tough question. I build using material that I have on hand and do not really keep track. I will say that when I stock up these days it seems that it costs about $6.00 for a pkg. of six 12" pieces of plain bar stock or rod (small sizes). The special shapes like angles and channels have really gone up, $3.00 to $4.00 a piece it seems.

Jon, Thank you and I'm still chuckling about your post ;):D

Damir, Thank you for commenting

Hi Doc! Glad you're liking this one :lol:

Stasch, Thanks Mike!

Foxer, Appreicate it!

Shucky, It really means alot to me when you say that, Thank you!!!

Hi Kane, Thank you!

Randy

Randy - thanks again for posting this as you build. I realize it takes away from building time to photograph, post, and reply. There is so much hard work in this build. I have a basic idea of soldering and have done some one-solder pieces but would love to see exactly how it's done for more complicated joints. Maybe an article for MCM mag? I would really like to see beyond the basic - like holding parts for soldering, soldering multiple joints, etc.

This is just too cool.

hey randy, thanks for showing me your set up. its just what i thought. i have access to all of it and then some. :lol:

im so dyslexic..lols

well, first the brass work and then the painting and detailing..geeez i am in a loss for words.. :rolleyes:

Edited by LAone

Hi Erik, Will post some in progress soldering pics when I start on the firewall!

Thanks Luis B)

Using the motor out of the Revell '69 Charger R/T kit...

I added to the carb casting, replaced the coil and starter pieces then started to wire...

Starter solenoid..

026-10.jpg

002-62.jpg

010-41.jpg

019-22.jpg

001-63.jpg

Making up some headers with solder....

007-51.jpg

008-45.jpg

011-34.jpg

038-7.jpg

Making up pulleys and modifing the kit altenator and making up a oil filter....

Randy, this is simply unreal work. I am in total awe of what you're doing here....I'm gonna go throw my stuff in the trash now!

Yeah I have to agree with Custom Mike here. Just totally unreal work, looks like a real engine, I too felt like throwing in the towel and tossing out my stuff as well!!!! This is gonna be beautiful?~?~?~??~?~

Did you craft the front dress pullies and belt yourself as well? That 440 looks better than the one in my REAL 1965 Dodge!

This gives me inspiration, and frustration at the same time. I try to do in plastic what you do in brass, and I become vexed when it fails horribly. But just as you do, I push on until I get it right. Thank you for sharing your build and the tools/skills used to do so.

You ever have one of those threads that you never click on because the topic maybe doesn't spike your interest. But then you watch it grow.....3 pages.....4 pages......5 pages...and then you think "Maybe I should take a look. Let's see what all of the hub-bub is all about." And then you catch yourself saying "Wow! Where have I been?"!! :angry:

AMAZING work!!! You can bet I'll be here watching now!

Ok, now you are just showing off....Timing marks? Seriously how do you do it. I need a magnifier just to see the engine parts for detail painting. I am truly in awe! I tried to explain this model to a friend of mine this week and couldn't find words that adequetly describe it. You give me somthing to strive for B)