Model Cars Magazine Forum

aluminum paints

FreddyB.

Hello guys,

Just a quick question. What kind of paint to you guys like to use on the engine, as far as aluminum parts, what brand?. I've tried the model master aluminum acrylic paint, and it sucked lol, it looked like it was more water than anything. I'm not sure if i just got a bad jar or what, but I just wanted to hear what all my fellow modelers thought!!

Thanks,

Freddy B.

Freddy, I use Citadel acrylic paints that "Gamers" use. They have various shades of metal, as well as standard colors. They can be hand brushed or thinned and air brushed. They dry quickly too. Look for them at a large figure or gaming hobby shop. I hope this helps. Ken

I mostly use Model Master Metalizer's for metallic finishes. Aluminum Plate and all the others. They go on light and smooth from the spray cans and some can be buffed for a shiner finish. Soon I'm going to have to try the various Alclad finishes for some variety.

The acrylic Aluminum paint is decent and has its place. It must be shaken and stirred well and like all acrylics must be fully cured before attempting a second coat. I use Testors Metallizer sprays, Alclad metallizers with my airbrush, and other Tamiya lacquer sprays like silver, gloss aluminum, and my favorite AS-12 bare metal silver. Applying semi flat and flat clears will give even more shades and sheens and black washing will help bring out details.

once you try alclad you wont go back to metalizer

I have a question then .. and this is a good thread for it. Do the Alclad metals other than Chrome require the absolutely perfect black undercoat that Chrome does? Or can these be applied more like "regular" paints?