Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Challenger" '29 Ford Highboy A-V8

Bernard Kron

DOS-Header.jpg

The Challenger '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy from the movie "Deuce of Spades"

(More photos below)

While watching the new hot rod movie Deuce of Spades my eye was drawn to the car driven by the antagonist in the movie, "Fresno", a striking bright red '29 Ford highboy '32 Ford rails with a bare aluminum grill. Once I saw it, I knew I had to build it. But I also realized this build would be no walk in the park since no kit exists that comes close. I would have to reach deep in my stash to get this one done. And as luck would have it the current owner of the car, Jerry Mull, got wind of my project (there are no secrets on the Internet) and provided me with extensive detail photos, the back story the filmmaker imagined for the car (Jerry worked on the picture) and constant encouragement. Thanks Jerry!

So here are the details and lots of pictures. For the w.i.p. go here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39392.

Thanx for lookin',

B.

Body:

AMT '29 Ford Roadster with Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland resin hood and Revell '32 Ford grill shell. Louvers are Archer Fine Transfers resin 3D Surface Details AR88037 "O" scale 6 inch louvers. They are resin decals (http://www.archertransfers.com/AR88037.html). Photo-etch grill from Model Car Garage.

Interior:

Scratch built tuck 'n' roll based on AMT '29 Ford Roadster bucket. AMT '29 Ford Roadster dashboard, steering wheel and brake lever. Scratch built 8-ball shifter and accessory gauge panel.

Chassis:

Revell '32 Ford rails, front crossmember and floor pan, Early Years Resin rear crossmember, scratch built k-member and details. Scratch built driveshaft with Revell '32 Ford u-joints.

Front suspension:

ThePartsBox.com front axle, spring and front brakes. Scratch built steering system. Radius rods cut from AMT Ala-Kart front radius rods.

Rear suspension:

Halibrand quick change rear axle from Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland. Rear spring from Revell '30 Ford Sedan. Rear brakes from ThePartsBox.com. Radius rods cut from AMT Ala-Kart front radius rods.

Wheels & Tires:

Front wheels are AMT '40 Ford Sedan with baby moons from the same kit and Modelhaus 120C tires. Rear wheels are from ThePartsBox.com with AMT '40 Ford Sedan baby moons and tires from a Revell '58 Corvette kit.

Motor & Transmission:

Ford flathead V8 and transmission from a Revell '40 Ford standard kit. Evans heads from Model Car Garage. 3-pot manifold by Early Years Resin. Mallory "crab style" magneto, Stromberg carbs and air cleaners from Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland.

DSCF3524-web.jpg

DSCF3520-web.jpg

DSCF3511-web.jpg

DSCF3522-web.jpg

DSCF3499-web.jpg

Edited by gbk1

All I can say Bernie is WOW!!!! You have scratch-built a fantasticly detailed interpretation of my car, Challenger. It has been so much fun following you along on this build. I'm so glad I discovered your thread, just as you were starting it. As I said in earlier posts, I'm surprised that you have found photos of my car I had never seen before. You fans amaze me!

I only wish it wasn't a 900 mile round trip drive to Santa Clara, thru the rain, because I'd love to be there when Mini-Challenger is revealed.

Please take lots of photos of you and the car, and the fans too if you can. Love to see them. I know Faith and the entire Deuce Of Spades Team are very proud of the movie masterpiece we created and the impact it has had on our many fans worldwide. I'm glad it inspired you to create this model and perhaps others to model cars from the film. Very cool!

All my best, Jerry:>)

This has been an awesome journey from inspiration to project to completion; mucho kudos to Bernie.

But! What really sets this apart from all others ... besides the great job Bernie did in replicating the movie car ... is Jerry Mull's active involvement ... via this message board!

IF EVER THERE WAS A NATURAL MAGAZINE FEATURE BORN ON THE INTERNET, THIS IS IT! Hopefully, somebody will tip off a great model magazine to the story. :lol:

Gentlemen, start your tip lines! :lol:

:huh:

Great looking Ford! I like it, and I loved watching the WIP- thread. Nice work with it, that hood looks great, and I like the lowers on it, but it could be little more glossy? Alclad? Paintjob is really nice and wheels with thse tires are perfect choice for it. I like also the engine detailing, and that grille is simply amazing. Nice work with it, I have always enjoyed watching your Hot Rods! Great. :rolleyes:

BTW: In the movie, there are two finnish Rock 'n' Roll bands playing music...

Edited by W-409

This has been an awesome journey from inspiration to project to completion; mucho kudos to Bernie.

But! What really sets this apart from all others ... besides the great job Bernie did in replicating the movie car ... is Jerry Mull's active involvement ... via this message board!

IF EVER THERE WAS A NATURAL MAGAZINE FEATURE BORN ON THE INTERNET, THIS IS IT! Hopefully, somebody will tip off a great model magazine to the story. ;)

Gentlemen, start your tip lines! :D

:)

I'm sayin'.........................

Great build Bernard!

G

Thanx to everyone for the extremely kind comments. I'm glad you all like it and enjoyed the w.i.p.. ;) ;)

... It has been so much fun following you along on this build. ...

The pleasure was all mine, Jerry. Your participation added a whole new dimension to the build and helped me raise my game with this one. The Challenger seemed to be a very well received hot rod at the NNL. The classic proportions and striking red and aluminum color combo was hard to miss on the tables! I've got well over 300 pictures to sort through so I'll see what I have that's presentable in the next few days.

...Do you plan to come up to Vancouver for the Model Autorama April 2?...

I didn't know about it. Is there a website where I can get some info?

Edited by gbk1

Great Bernie! Looking forward to seeing those photos from NNL!! Please see my Personal Message to you, and contact me directly. I have a special gift I want to send to you as a rememberance of this project.

And thank you EVERYONE for your nice comments about the car and DEUCE OF SPADES. I literally put 2 years of my life volunteering on that film, day and night, long hours, making & donating props, designing/building sets, getting cars, finding locations, big jobs and small, loaning $$$, anything to get the movie completed and out to DVD. My garage is Faith's garage in the film. My garage is also Monk's Den. And my living room is modern Tommy's place. I personally filmed the Sandstorm scene (no CGI) and parts of the junkyard scenes. I'm the Detective and the "big mouthed" Judge. And in the background several times. I was there for 66% or more of what you see on the screen and it was a fantastic experience, meeting so many great people along the way. This build has been another part of that positive experience. Thank you Bernie and all the rest of you modelers out there! God Bless you all! -Jerry:>)

Edited by Challenger29