Model Cars Magazine Forum

new to model cars

rdevotie

Hello I am new building model car and got glue on windshield of a 69 dukes of hazzard car I am doing. How do I get it off with out scratching the windshield. Also I got a 69 camaro ss and all the parts is blue my question is what color of primer to use and when to use it. Any advice would be very helpful.

Depending how bad the glue spot is you can sand it down and polish it back using 3-grit sanding sticks made for polishing clear plastic. A final coat of Future floor polish will bring it back fully. Try to use the finest grit you can to start removing the glue. Since the glass is already ruined you have nothing to lose trying to restore it.

Hey Richie...first of all, welcome to the website. You've picked a great place to be. Lots of friendly folks willing to not only help you out with tips and shortcuts but also several who would give the shirt off of their back without even knowing you. You're in good company!

Secondly, welcome to model building! It's a great hobby that will teach you patience and perserverance. I have absolutely enjoyed every one of my last 26 years building. Some great memories...building with my uncle when I was a kid, building with friends throughout my school years and now I get to build with my young sons. Shaping and forming the next generation. B)

I know I didn't offer you any advice on what to do with you glue on the windshield situation but I felt like it was already covered. I decided to roll out the welcome wagon instead! :blink:

Just shout if you need anything!

Hey Richie,

Welcome to a really great place, you will really like it here, lots of great people, always a lot of help when you aren't sure what to do, my skills have gone up 1000% since I joined the forums.

Try Micro-Mark for a polishing kit, they have one that starts at 2400 and goes up to 12000 grit, easy to use soft foam pads. Very, very fine grits, just take your time, polish the plastic under running water, or rinse the pads every fews second, start with the 2400 grit and work your way up, just take your time, don't polish too hard, keep the pad wet and let the pad do the work, it will take a few minutes, but you will be amazed at the results. Also works great for polishing out paints too.

Enjoy the forums and good luck fixing your windshield. Jump back on if you get stuck, lots of people happy to help.

Mike

Edited by bigmikevee

Hey Richie. On the windshield or any other parts gone wrong. If its a Revell, you can go on line to them and they will send you the parts you need,for free. I think up to 5 parts. I've done it before on several occasions. Even decals. The other brands might have a similar deal. And welcome and good luck.

The polishing stick I was referring to is the #3210 Triple Grit polisher/finisher $3.49 from Flex-i-File. It's down near the end of the page I linked to. It just has the very fine grits for clear glass. It's just a matter of starting with the finest grit that will smooth out the glue spot and using progressively finer grits to get the scratches you made out, as everyone has said. Good luck! :lol:

I also came on this while looking for where I got them.

Let us know how you make out.

can I use any type of primer or do I have to get model car paint primer. Sorry for all the questions

No need to apologize for asking questions; it's the best way to get answers, and there's lots of those here.

As far as the primer goes, I always say use what's compatible with the paint you are using - lacquer with lacquer, enamel with enamel, etc. If you are not sure of the paint's makeup, simply stick with the same brand/line when buying your paint and primer.