Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wow! A thousand bucks!

Considering there never was, and probably will never be, anything else like the Aurora Racing Scenes, I don't think $999.00 is crazy, but eBay isn't always an accurate barometer for kit prices.

$999 is crazy - it's a model.

eBay is probably a good barometer - it is nothing but unfettered capitalism - here is what I have, how much are you willing to pay.

What now? Pay 1000 bucks for a model and build it? Doubt that. Put it in a shelf and stare at it, I guess.

I have an original unbuilt Fred Flypogger as Speed Shift kit from 1965 that is complete. I also have an ad in color for those kits and another for some contest from the comic books of that year. I'm not selling it right now but I've watched them go for over $400 - $500!!!

FredFlypogger-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Terry Sumner

I was watching that auction as that kit and the Pinto are the only two kits I need to where I have the entire Racing Scenes series but I won't pay that much to get it! There were two versions of this kit, one with a black body which I've heard is much more rare and the regular version with the yellow body.

There was an auction a while back that had both the vega and Pinto kits. I'm pretty sure that one sold for about 1500.00!

I must be cheap. There's no way I would pay $1000.00 for a model of anything. I feel bad paying $20.00 for a kit.

I'm going up to Ocala today and will be stopping at Rob's Hobby World, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels in Ocala on the way home. I need some supplies.

I'm also a smoker who uses a little machine to roll my own so that it costs me about $0.90 for a pack.

You guys REALLY gotta come to the Macomb County Comm. Coll. Toy show here in Mich. I saw that Vega kit go for 150.00 and I've bought that LOLA at least THREE times for 30 bucks each! I JUST traded one off too. I wonder if bein in Detroit has anything to do with it? There are ALL kinds of GREAT deals, and they hold it twice a year. I've NEVER gone an NOT been able to find something cool. Guess ya just gotta get there early.:P:lol::o

I've spent less than that on a real car. Yeah, it's a big scale Aurora kit, but sheesh...

I've spent less than that on most of my cars. I just can't drop that kind of cash on plastic, no matter how desirable. You guys are cra . . wait, a '62 Ford Uni with custom parts and trailer?! (Homer Simpson gargley noise)

Edited by samdiego

People are going to pay what they think it is worth to them

Exactly Donnie! I find it hard to buy kits that exceed $25, mainly because I already have enough to last me a lifetime! The only collectible kit( read: has not been reissued in it's original form)I have ever bought was an old MPC Jeep CJ-5 kit that could be built 3 different ways. I wanted it and the seller took $30 for it, which to me was all it was worth. I have it among my "don't sell, gonna build it" collection.

I have bought a few big rig kits that went for 60-90 dollars but I only have a few of those and they too are in the don't sell pile.

P.T. Barnum once said...."there is a sucker born every minute" and while he might not have meant any of us in the model hobby, I do think that some folks get fooled into thinking kits are worth exhorbinant sums of money- buyers and sellers alike.

I admit i sometimes watch kits on ebay just to see what they sell for and it amazes me,i saw a 69'mach1 promo sell for $1,712 dollars the other day and a 67'vette coupe promo go for $900 dollars,but hey it's their money and they're free to spend it anyway they want to.

Edited by kelson