Model Cars Magazine Forum

WARNING!!!!!

Another spam attack!

Guys, I don't know how many of you folks have been hit by this current flurry of garbage but over the last few weeks spam has been going out in spades through e mails in my name "Don Garrett" & grandpamcgurk.

If anyone recieves an E from me with an attachment or link

DO NOT OPEN IT!!!!!!!! Toss it in your spam file or quaranteen it. They are not from me.....period!

I'm going to change all my pass words and may even change from Yahoo to another E mail source. These (I'll refrain from calling them what I'd like to) hackers are getting pretty clever and difficult to track down.

I've have all sorts of safe guards in place but like I said......unless I state (personally) in a message to you that it's a pre-screened link or attachment......it's not from me.

I've been using gmail (Google mail)the past few years successfully. It's nice being accessible no matter where you are logged in. I believe you still need an invitation to get on it, so just let me know if you'd like to try and I'll get you invited. It does all the spam filtering itself.

Hey Don, my daughter just went through that back in January! Her yahoo account was hacked and she had people ticked off at her because of it.

My sister got hacked a little over a year ago on yahoo.

Been lucky so far.

A person would like to get there hands on these people doing this stuff.:lol:

I had the same happen to my hotmail account around the end of January, and the (insert your favorite four letter word here) idiots put a virus in the email they sent from my account. How do I know? I accidentally opened the darn link when I was trying to see who all it went to! B) My computer died 15 minutes later! :P

AT least on the bright side, I was able to save my pictures and research materials, and the friend of mine who had built it even threw a newer motherboard and another hard drive in it, so it wasn't all bad! ;)

I had the same happen to my hotmail account around the end of January, and the (insert your favorite four letter word here) idiots put a virus in the email they sent from my account. How do I know? I accidentally opened the darn link when I was trying to see who all it went to! :rolleyes: My computer died 15 minutes later! ;)

AT least on the bright side, I was able to save my pictures and research materials, and the friend of mine who had built it even threw a newer motherboard and another hard drive in it, so it wasn't all bad! :P

This is a good time to remind everybody to back up your important stuff. You never know when your computer is going to turn into a boat anchor....a virus, hard drive goes bad...even losing it in a fire or something. A year or two ago some of us were discussing back up methods here, and Bill Geary suggested Carbonite. I checked it out and ended up signing up....it's only like $59 a year, and it backs up everthing you do. Well worth it, if you ask me. If you have a lot of research material saved, just think how it would feel to lose it all.

BTW, nice to see u on here Highway!!

I should say the same to you!! :) I've been here for a little over a year, and only go to that other site you know me from for the Cannonball CBP! :D

This is a good time to remind everybody to back up your important stuff. You never know when your computer is going to turn into a boat anchor....a virus, hard drive goes bad...even losing it in a fire or something. A year or two ago some of us were discussing back up methods here, and Bill Geary suggested Carbonite. I checked it out and ended up signing up....it's only like $59 a year, and it backs up everthing you do. Well worth it, if you ask me. If you have a lot of research material saved, just think how it would feel to lose it all.

Yeah, I've been thinking of that as well, Tommy. This was my first virus attack, my Avast antivirus usually does a good job of keeping the bad stuff out, but this one got past it. :( I did get an external hard drive, and was able to get the important stuff onto it, and everything is also on my laptop as well. As for losing everything in a fire, I pray I never go through that again, I lost everything including about 250-300 models back in 1997, and I'm still searching for some of the rarer kits I'd lost. I'd hate to think about rebuilding the almost 500 kit collection I have now, not to mention the NASCAR collectables and everything else in the house!