Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Barracuda Gran Coupe

spkgibson

I have been toying around with this for the past few weeks, The Hood is Fron Reliable Resin, Great Products Might I add, The mods I have done to the body so far, I cut out all four of the marker lights from a junk Monogram 71 Cuda Body, And added the bodyline to the header panel, The marker lights that go in the valance panel are thinned and cut down parts from the same Monogram body, This is still in the early stages of the build, I still need to find the stock interior from the snapfast 74 Cuda, And the chassis ,As the kit is strictly a prostock kit with the gutted interior,and just a smooth chassis,None of the stock marking exist on it, Here it is with the lights on the sides roughed it, I still need to add putty to blend them in. And if anyone could help me out with those parts, It would be great, I would really like to get this done soon, And please excuse the photos, I have to use my LG Cell Phone. No digital camera just yet,Soon I hope.71Cuda3.jpg71Cuda2.jpg71Cuda1.jpg

Had an sweetie in High School who bought one of these when we graduated. It was Black with a white interior. Even had a RECORDABLE 8 track in it! I built one useing the Jo Han Kit(it was what i had handy) and it came out pretty good! In fact, i STILL have it here somewhere. But that Gran Coupe wasn't a real popular model around here. Mostly there were only 6 cyl. or flat out 'Cudas, but that Gran Coupe realy stood out! VERY nice car. I'll be watchin this one Steve. Good Luck.;):angry:;)

Yeah they were kind of rare cars to see here where I live in Michigan, Buick Town, There is some ,And was alot of Chrysler dealerships around the area, Now we only have 2. Sound like a good story about the sweetie, Do you have any photos of your build? I'd like to see how you did yours. If I could have found a Original 71 MPC Body and bumpers , It would have saved ALOT of work, But I would have not had the enjoyment out of making the mods I have done so far, The color combo I have been thinking about on this one is either , One of the Yellows or the Butterscotch/Bahama Yellow. With the Chestnut Brown Interior. If I do put the vinyl top on, It will be white.,I'm along ways away from paint on this one.

I have been toying around with this for the past few weeks, The Hood is Fron Reliable Resin, Great Products Might I add, The mods I have done to the body so far, I cut out all four of the marker lights from a junk Monogram 71 Cuda Body, And added the bodyline to the header panel, The marker lights that go in the valance panel are thinned and cut down parts from the same Monogram body, This is still in the early stages of the build, I still need to find the stock interior from the snapfast 74 Cuda, And the chassis ,As the kit is strictly a prostock kit with the gutted interior,and just a smooth chassis,None of the stock marking exist on it, Here it is with the lights on the sides roughed it, I still need to add putty to blend them in. And if anyone could help me out with those parts, It would be great, I would really like to get this done soon, And please excuse the photos, I have to use my LG Cell Phone. No digital camera just yet,Soon I hope.71Cuda3.jpg71Cuda2.jpg71Cuda1.jpg

is it going to be a stock barracuda? id like to see that when its done :(

I'm trying to make it stock, I'm having issues with finding an interior for it. I'll keep working on the body untill I can find one.Or toss it back in the box, One of the two.

im really curious to see how it comes out you always see barracudas worked i dont think ive ever seen one stock :)

Here is how the car sit lastnight. I still need to add alot of details to the body. Does anyone know where I can find the Barracuda emblems that go on the tops of the front doors? and the Gran Coupe crest? Have a look.71Cuda4.jpg71Cuda5.jpg71Cuda6.jpg

wasnt the cuda on the brady bunch a 71 because in 72 and 74 he had a caprice conv? ;)

Nice work !

I'm thinking on offering a 70 & 71 Base Pkg. Conversion for that JoHan , as well as something for that "revogram" AAR

I gotta say that Brady Bunch pic , really brings me back ... LOL

What kit did / does those wheels in the BB pic come from ?

Edited by Reliable Resin

Nice work !

I'm thinking on offering a 70 & 71 Base Pkg. Conversion for that JoHan , as well as something for that "revogram" AAR

I gotta say that Brady Bunch pic , really brings me back ... LOL

What kit did / does those wheels in the BB pic come from ?

Don, Those wheels were never offered in any kit, I wish they did, They look great on Dusters and Satellites also, That is a great Idea about offering that conversion package for the Jo-Han Cudas out there. I compared it to the MPC 73-74 Body I have , And the Jo-Han body looks alot better in my eyes. The revogram. Good Idea also. Well back to the grind on this one. :)

Here is how the car sit lastnight. I still need to add alot of details to the body. Does anyone know where I can find the Barracuda emblems that go on the tops of the front doors? and the Gran Coupe crest? Have a look.71Cuda4.jpg71Cuda5.jpg71Cuda6.jpg

The Model Car Garage has a set of '71-74 Barracuda Scripts you can use on your project. I used them on this.

2008_06211968novass0001.jpg

2008_06211968novass0008.jpg

Your car is looking good so far. I would like to do a '71 the same way as you are doing too.

The Model Car Garage has a set of '71-74 Barracuda Scripts you can use on your project. I used them on this.

2008_06211968novass0001.jpg

2008_06211968novass0008.jpg

Your car is looking good so far. I would like to do a '71 the same way as you are doing too.

Thanks for the information Ron, That 70 is beautiful, One question though, Were did you get the double line white walls at, I would love to use those on mine, The only kit I have seen those in was the stock version of the AMT/ERTL 66 Riviera, So far what I have done on this is the body roughed in, I still have to add the vinyl top moldings and seams. and add the trim around the taillights and backup lights , I think there was also a little strip of trim that is on the rocker panels also, I need to find some more photos of the car online to get it more accurate. You sure can find alot of 71 Cuda's on here, But the Gran Coupes are hard to get good photos of. Beautiful Build on that 70, I never thought that the Revellogram 70 AAR Kit could look so nice, You nailed that one, By the way what color is that on it? :angry:

Thanks for the information Ron, That 70 is beautiful, One question though, Were did you get the double line white walls at, I would love to use those on mine, The only kit I have seen those in was the stock version of the AMT/ERTL 66 Riviera, So far what I have done on this is the body roughed in, I still have to add the vinyl top moldings and seams. and add the trim around the taillights and backup lights , I think there was also a little strip of trim that is on the rocker panels also, I need to find some more photos of the car online to get it more accurate. You sure can find alot of 71 Cuda's on here, But the Gran Coupes are hard to get good photos of. Beautiful Build on that 70, I never thought that the Revellogram 70 AAR Kit could look so nice, You nailed that one, By the way what color is that on it? B)

Spike,

Thank you for your comments. I drew the white stripes on the kit tires with a circle template, using a fine gel pen. The paint is from the Testors' Lacquer line, which I believe is a GM 1990's color, which looks very close to the '70 Mopar color. A 1971 Barracuda Gran Coupe is a rare beast.