Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question to Camaro experts on 1969 Camaro

Hello fellow Modelers. I have a question to all Chevrolet Camaro experts out there. Specifically the 1969 Camaro.

Here's my question:

Which of these two steering wheels belong on the SS model as they would come from Chevrolet (stock)??

Also, which steering wheel belongs to which model style?

Model Styles: SS, Z-28, RS, Yenko, Baldwin Motion, COPO, etc.

This one???

1969-camaro-ss-steering-wheel-el-camino-nova-chevelle_140507214331.jpg

Or This one???

06_1.JPG

Thank you,

Felix

Both steering wheels are correct for the '69 SS Camaro. The top one was the standard SS wheel, the wood rim wheel was the option.

Bill - I noticed your signature says that you are a ASE Certified Master Mechanic.

I have one last question on the 69 Camaro's - Which engine size where standard (stock) on the following model Styles: SS, Z-28, RS.

I believe on all the COPO's, Yenko's and Baldwin Motion's it was the 427.

Did any of the other models had this Factory option?

I'm going to build a 69 Camaro SS and just wanted to build it accurately.

Thanks

Felix

The Z/28 is easy, there was only 1 engine used, the 302 smallblock with a 4 speed manual. That engine was exclusive to the Z/28, not used anywhere else. The SS models required a V8, the 350 was the base engine, with the 396 as an option. It should be noted, the 396 was SS only. The RS was mainly a trim package, and was available with any engine, exept for the 302 and 396 unless combined with the Z/28 or SS package. In those cases, only the RS grille and dress up parts were used, the Z/28 and SS badges took the place of the RS markings. I do know that at least 1 COPO ZL-1 Camaro was equipped with the RS package.

Other engines available in the '69 Camaro were the 230 and 250 6 cylinders, 307 and 327 smallblocks, and of course the COPO 427s. The COPO cars were sold through several dealers, including Yenko, Baldwin-Motion, Dana-Nickey, and Fred Gibb. There may be a few others, but those are the most well known. To my knowledge, all the COPO 427s were the coupe body, mostly with base trim.

The Z/28 is easy, there was only 1 engine used, the 302 smallblock with a 4 speed manual. That engine was exclusive to the Z/28, not used anywhere else. The SS models required a V8, the 350 was the base engine, with the 396 as an option. It should be noted, the 396 was SS only. The RS was mainly a trim package, and was available with any engine, exept for the 302 and 396 unless combined with the Z/28 or SS package. In those cases, only the RS grille and dress up parts were used, the Z/28 and SS badges took the place of the RS markings. I do know that at least 1 COPO ZL-1 Camaro was equipped with the RS package.

Other engines available in the '69 Camaro were the 230 and 250 6 cylinders, 307 and 327 smallblocks, and of course the COPO 427s. The COPO cars were sold through several dealers, including Yenko, Baldwin-Motion, Dana-Nickey, and Fred Gibb. There may be a few others, but those are the most well known. To my knowledge, all the COPO 427s were the coupe body, mostly with base trim.

Thank you Bill - This is awesome information.

By the way, Is there a site that I could see pictures of these engines (250, 307, 327, 396, and the big boy 427) as they would of looked when the factory installed them into the cars?

Thanks

Felix

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow Modelers. I have a question to all Chevrolet Camaro experts out there. Specifically the 1969 Camaro.

Here's my question:

Which of these two steering wheels belong on the SS model as they would come from Chevrolet (stock)??

Also, which steering wheel belongs to which model style?

Model Styles: SS, Z-28, RS, Yenko, Baldwin Motion, COPO, etc.

This one???

1969-camaro-ss-steering-wheel-el-camino-nova-chevelle_140507214331.jpg

Or This one???

06_1.JPG

Thank you,

Felix

I am gong to have to disagree with the post that both of these are accurate. The top one is a definate yes. Its a GM part available on the 69 Camaro SS. The lower one is a Grant aftermarket, they were also sold under Superior label, and was never offered as a factory part. There was a wood rim wheel which was availble in Walnut and Rosewood tones and were usually seen on cars with the Wood Appliques on the dash lower, headlight switch bezel, radio bezel and console panels. the GM wood wheel didn't have all those rivets on it. I say this because we bought one of the Grant wheels initially for our car. We ran it until we bought the accurate GM piece. Also, the same wheel was offered with a urethane/plastic type grip and it was simply referred to as the Comfort Grip wheel. Hope this helps.