Model Cars Magazine Forum

Roth's Tweedy Pie

Bluzboy66

That was the sweetest T-bucket ever built, in my opinion.I started a Tweety Pie 2, a few years ago. Guess I'll have to start working on it again. Really nice job!

I agree. The Tweedy Pie nails the 'look', and Roth knew just what to do to the car. He purchased the car as a basket case, assembled it, and thoroughly messaged the 'look' up until '62 when unveiled it to Rod & Custom (I have an original copy of that magazine - March '62 - see below). I've seen pictures of the car with the shortened bed, different wheels, different intakes, etc. The headlights, I'm not sure of. I like the quads. I put the little white balls (heads of straight pins) in each velocity stack on the engine to mimic a display technique I remember from my childhood.....the owners of the street rods put ping pong balls, tennis balls, super pinkies, etc in the stacks at car shows to keep debris from finding their way into the carbs.

The real trick in building the kit is finding a shade of paint to go with! Every photo and article I have of Tweedy Pie shows the car in a different shade of purple/mauve/ultraviolet. I've decided that the metallic/pearl mauve looks best to my eye, so that's what I went with when I built my version of the car. I would have liked to reproduce the intricate pinstriping that Ed applied just before showing the car to the Rod & Customs guys........BUT........the version I based my build on didn't have the pinstriping yet, so go figure, I didn't have to reproduce it!

Mike

MikesModelCars.jpg

Hey Mike, great to see you around these parts man, nice job on the model, didn't know you were into those, hope to see more of your work man, Parsippany was great today :wink:

Oh yeah. Love the Roth rods. I'm a sucker for all of the Show Car stuff.......even the wacky 70's stuff most folks laughed at. I'll have to show you a pic I have from '73 or so.......Dad took a pic of me standing in front of the custom Bob Hope golf cart. It was a golf cart with a huge fiberglass Bob Hope noggin' as the cab.

:D

Mike

Nice build. I am ordering the retro transkit from rep and Min of Md for the TP2 kit. Wasn't the original version flathead powered? That would be another neat build idea, wouldn't it?

Just found this tidbit of Tweedy Pie info.......

According to the book, "Rat Fink - The Art of Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth" by Douglas Nason & Greg Escalante, Tweedy Pie was originally built by Bob Johnston of Anaheim, California, a car show acquaintance of Roth's.

As for the engine, the March '62 issue of Rod & Custom, Roth's Tweedy Pie had a 270cu.in. '58 Chevy small block V8. It IS possible, however, that Johnston's original car had the flathead. Good question.

More details - from the same '62 Rod & Custom mag....

The car had '51 Ford truck transmission, and a '48 Ford differential and brakes. If there was ever anyone who would appreciate those small details, it would definitely be you guys.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Tweedy Pie was one of the cars I was Lucky enough to shoot the breeze with Big Daddy about, back when I was 18 8) (Rest in Peace Big Daddy! :cry: )

He stated that he bought Tweedy from Bob Johnston of Anaheim and proceeded to remove the Flathead, and Modify it his Way(Chevy Motor Quad Headlights,T Gas Tank out back to replace the bed, Chrome, and Larry Watson Paint and with Roth Striping).

header_image_3.jpg

tweedy1small.jpg

tweedy2small.jpg

tweedy3small.jpg

tweedy4small.jpg

Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's Tweedy Pie

Tweedy Pie runs as good as it looks. Engine,tranny,rearend, brakes, electrical, lighting, steering, suspension - everything - is in fine working order.

Year Built: 1962

Body: 1923 Model T Roadster

4" channel over shortened '32 rails, 84 inch wheelbase,forward rake, narrowed rear

'32 Ford grille shell, chopped.

'24 T Fuel Tank

Chrome smoothie firewall

Roth Tubular Chrome Nerf bars

Chromed oil pan

Rolled and pleated white naugahyde interior

Burgundy paint with Roth pinstriping

Engine: 1958 Corvette V8 270

Carburation: Chromed Stromberg 97 6-pack on polished Offy manifold.

Instrumentation: Hand formed dash, four Stewart Warner guages

Transmission: '51 Ford Truck

Differential: '48 Ford Truck, chromed center

Front Axle: '48 Ford

Exhaust: Custom, chromed, interior Maxim-type baffles.

Brakes/Steering '48 Ford Truck, aluminum Ross steering box

Wheels: Chrome reverse with Baby Moons.

Weight: 1700 lbs.

Tweedy Pie was one of the cars I was Lucky enough to shoot the breeze with Big Daddy about, back when I was 18 8) (Rest in Peace Big Daddy! :cry: )

He stated that he bought Tweedy from Bob Johnston of Anaheim and proceeded to remove the Flathead, and Modify it his Way(Chevy Motor Quad Headlights,T Gas Tank out back to replace the bed, Chrome, and Larry Watson Paint and with Roth Striping).

You're a very lucky man. What I would have done to have a moment with the legend himself! I did get to meet George Barris, a living legend in his own right, but Roth really was the king.

Mike

Man, thanks SP much for that post! The pics are incredible. I may have to add the Roth pinstriping to my model.

Mike

Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's Tweedy Pie

Tweedy Pie runs as good as it looks. Engine,tranny,rearend, brakes, electrical, lighting, steering, suspension - everything - is in fine working order.

Year Built: 1962

Body: 1923 Model T Roadster

4" channel over shortened '32 rails, 84 inch wheelbase,forward rake, narrowed rear

'32 Ford grille shell, chopped.

'24 T Fuel Tank

Chrome smoothie firewall

Roth Tubular Chrome Nerf bars

Chromed oil pan

Rolled and pleated white naugahyde interior

Burgundy paint with Roth pinstriping

Engine: 1958 Corvette V8 270

Carburation: Chromed Stromberg 97 6-pack on polished Offy manifold.

Instrumentation: Hand formed dash, four Stewart Warner guages

Transmission: '51 Ford Truck

Differential: '48 Ford Truck, chromed center

Front Axle: '48 Ford

Exhaust: Custom, chromed, interior Maxim-type baffles.

Brakes/Steering '48 Ford Truck, aluminum Ross steering box

Wheels: Chrome reverse with Baby Moons.

Weight: 1700 lbs.

You're a very lucky man. What I would have done to have a moment with the legend himself! I did get to meet George Barris, a living legend in his own right, but Roth really was the king.

Mike

Yeah I definately concider that one of my Best all Out Kustomizer Icon Moment! I was really a Bigg Kidd and Goof, cause I was stammering the whole time whenever I was talking to him! It was surreal for me to say the least, Ed just smile & Winked at me, and told me to take my time. I knew he had other things to do, and other people to talk to, so I asked him about the first thing that popped in my head(Tweedy Pie). He was really Kool and just told me everything about it.

Really wished that I had a camera on hand when I met him, but I left mine at home because when they originally gave details about the show, the promoters just made it seem like the same one they did every year. I didn't find out till I was inside with my Father, that Ed was there. Turns out he was a last minute Guest Kustomizer 8) Was able to get his Autograph on a RatFink Coloring book he had(Hey I said that Im a Bigg Kidd!), but I think it may have been ruined in a flood at my Father's place a few years later :lol:

Man, thanks SP much for that post! The pics are incredible. I may have to add the Roth pinstriping to my model.

Mike

NP with the Posts and the pics, somehting that I wanted to do as a Remembrance of Ed, since the date of that peticular post was done on the day of his passing back in '01. Something I plan on trying to post about every year, until I am able to build a fullsize(if not smaller) Tibute to Ed(Tweedy would be the closest thing to my abilities, and over-all keeper factor!). :D

I met Ed Roth at the San Mateo car show, around '62 when he first showed the Beatnik Bandit. I was standing there talking to him while he airbrushed a tee shirt, when a friend of mine came up and ran his hand over the back of the Bandit. Roth literally leaped over the table and on a dead run, kicked my friend square in the butt, lifting him a good foot and a half off the ground. I will remember that day 'till i die.

^^^^^^^ :D:D:o I could so see Ed doing that!!! :lol::lol: I heard he was pretty protective when it came to his stuff! Some say he was an A-hole, but if you asked him nicely(especially if you were a kid, I was a Large 16-18yr. old!), he'd let you take a look at it closer. Ed had the newly finished Beatnik Bandit II on display behind him, when I met him. He offered me a ride if he could free up sometime at the end of the show, but later I had to leave, and his booth just got too busy :cry: Would have stayed till the end of the show, but my Father worked swing shift at Boeing, so he had to take me home and drop me off. :lol:

I met Ed Roth at the San Mateo car show, around '62 when he first showed the Beatnik Bandit. I was standing there talking to him while he airbrushed a tee shirt, when a friend of mine came up and ran his hand over the back of the Bandit. Roth literally leaped over the table and on a dead run, kicked my friend square in the butt, lifting him a good foot and a half off the ground. I will remember that day 'till i die.

:lol:

Mike