Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oldie Build - 2JZ Powered '93 Firebird/Trans AM

RickRollerLT1

I did this one in 2009, ans I'm surprised it held up long... if 'ya notice the paints not too great as my newer stuff, as I just started to get the grip of using future and was also about to make the switch to sears primer. Dispite all those falts, I think it came out great for what I did then.

Lowered the suspension and used the brakes, wheels & tires from an Revell Mistu Eclipse kit. I had a spare supra motor from a F&F supra that had a bad kracked roof mishap, so I decided to use that as it was an easy drop-in... except coverin' up the hole that the V8's air cleaner went and extending one of the motor mounts. Also used the Firebird's exhaust system with metal tips, the only mod to do was remove the right exhaust pipe and slightly rework the left to mate up to the 2JZ's header.

Interior has the seats and tach from the said supra kit, and the NOS bottle is from a Import Tuner diecat car (:P Doh!! what am I saying!).

The paint... Oh boy! It's wal-mart fire red over their primer which crazed and about 25 coats of future on top to cover it up. (egadds, what a nightmare that was).

DSC01966.jpg

DSC01967-Copy.jpg

DSC01968-Copy.jpg

DSC01969-Copy.jpg

Plz don't ha8 me ( :) )

Personal opinion alert here (as others may not agree with me): overall execution looks good. As you mentioned the flaws in the paint (to be honest, it doesn't look that bad in the pics, and I doubt I could do better), that I will not hold against it. The wheels and tires combo looks good on this body style and go well with the lowered suspension and body color. It looks as though you took some time to properly integrate the longer 2JZ into the engine bay of the Firebird instead of just hacking and stuffing.

I would say, overall, you did a very nice job. I don't hate it, and can see the workmanship in it. Keep building, and we'll keep looking.

I'll give ya two thumbs up for even getting Colorplace red to lay on the car. I hate the way it sprays on anything. It leaves blotchy places and everything else for me. But IMHO, you really cannot tell you used this shoddy paint at all. I think the red looks great on it.

Edited by Skydime

TNX for all yer comments guys!! they're really appreaciated!

I'll give ya two thumbs up for even getting Colorplace red to lay on the car. I hate the way it sprays on anything. It leaves blotchy places and everything else for me. But IMHO, you really cannot tell you used this shoddy paint at all. I think the red looks great on it.

I use this paint all the time ans never had that issue... Though sometimes if you apply it too soon over the gloss white, it will cause blotches and parts of the white will show through.

Are you using the wal-mart paints under it, or yer most likely using somehting else?

I (well nowadays) use sears "Quick 'n easy" gray primer, folowed by colorplace flat and then gloss white, and then I apply the Fire red which go's on very smoothly I must say.

hope this helps,

The JZ mill is a straight six IIRC - and a serious torquer when tweaked!

Yup, that's right. Itsa straight 6 that makes decent power ans torque but is very, VERY expensive to mantain and obtain parts (stock or aftermarket) for.

BTW, the TD Mustang was partialy my infliunce in this build. Actualy, I built that kit along time ago (it didn't come out great ans later got scavenged for parts, so I don't gots on me anymore) .

Edited by V-spec

TNX for all yer comments guys!! they're really appreaciated!

I use this paint all the time ans never had that issue... Though sometimes if you apply it too soon over the gloss white, it will cause blotches and parts of the white will show through.

Are you using the wal-mart paints under it, or yer most likely using somehting else?

I (well nowadays) use sears "Quick 'n easy" gray primer, folowed by colorplace flat and then gloss white, and then I apply the Fire red which go's on very smoothly I must say.

hope this helps,

I have tried it with Walmart paint and primer and other brands. This is the only color in the Color Place color that gives me issues...nevertheless...the car looks good.