Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mooneyes 1960 Ford Pickup, Trailer and dragster project New pics 6/22/12

Terry:

This project is moving along very well indeed!!! Keep it going.....you have resurected a real classic here and your crafstmanship is excellent....... You should consider an article about this one...... perhaps a two part one??? It would make for a great read.......keep going!!!

Regards Bill (Duntov)

I'd like to thank everyone for all their encouragement on this "resurrection"....they definitely contribute to the enthusiasm and inspiration for it. I don't know about the article thing though Bill...I'm really not doing anything special or out of the ordinary with this thing at least so far. Just mainly using superglue for filler along with the 3M Finishing glaze. It's just a matter of cleaning up all the damaged plastic and sanding the whole thing down to a good finish to get ready for paint. I used Easy Off oven cleaner to do all the stripping and the old paint came right off. So for now I just have a few more little spots that need further attention and then it'll be ready for paint. I have some good acrylic lacquers left over from when Leon Tefft was marketing House of Kolors paint in smaller bottles under the Cobracolors line so that's what I plan to use. I love the acrylic lacquers and I have some Speedway White and Millenium Yellow. I'm not 100% sure the Millenium Yellow is going to be a perfect match for Mooneyes Yellow but probably close enough. We shall see... :o)

2nd update on 3/10...got the yellow on also. I masked the pickup off with Parafilm and it gave me some very nice extremely sharp demarcation lines with no bleed-under between the White and Yellow. Now just have to shoot some clear coats and the body will be fini! All in all...it didn't turn out to be as hard as I thought it was going to be to get the body back into shape.

IMG00230201103102035-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG00231201103102035-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Terry Sumner

I looked but may have missed it, where are you getting the "moon eye" decals ? I would like to get my hands on some if you found them after market. Great job.

Actually...I don't know yet! Darn good question and I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have.... :P

Terry, This is going to look great! Now you need to find a source for the correct Mooneyes graphics. Unlike Chips model, they need a white background. Perhaps finding the logo in black, print on white decal film? I have 2 diff Moon logos, both have the word "MOON" through the eyes (in one word through both eyes). B)

You can never have too many reference pics!

FORDPICKUPMOONEQUIPMENT-vi.jpg

Edited by Jon Cole

Terry, This is going to look great! Now you need to find a source for the correct Mooneyes graphics. Unlike Chips model, they need a white background. Perhaps finding the logo in black, print on white decal film? I have 2 diff Moon logos, both have the word "MOON" through the eyes (in one word through both eyes). B)

You can never have too many reference pics!

FORDPICKUPMOONEQUIPMENT-vi.jpg

Nice photo!!1 I don't have that one. I'm probably going to have someone who is good at this stuff make these decals for me when I have a few bucks extra! This photo will definitely help! Thanks much!

BTW,,,,,what engine is that in there? FOrd 427???

Edited by Terry Sumner

Wow! Are you kidding me!!!! Thanks MUCH for those photos....I did not have them on file and that shot of the interior is invaluable! So are the others! :lol:

There are more if you want them, no more interior but alot of outside ones. I was gonna build my 1:1 similar to this.