Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mooneyes 1960 Ford Pickup, Trailer and dragster project New pics 6/22/12

Guest Johnny

Lookig great Terry! A really ambitious project to say the least!:lol:

I always found that resurecting a beat up model always held more excitement that building a crisp clean new model!

Just the transformation from what some may have concidered unsavable junk into a beautiful model happening right in front of you and with your own hands just has so much satisfaction!

Guess that comes from my days restoring old VW's!:lol:

Terry,

Here's a Moon-inspired build utilizing a resin station wagon rather than the pickup. This was built by a friend, Harold Oswald. He is another member of Moonlight Modelers and we had a contest theme of 'Moon-light Racing.'

This build won all the marbles in the club contest and was a Top 12 Pick at the Goodguys Model Car Show.

Harold_Oswald_56_Ford_Country_Sedan_with_Moon_Eyes_Dragster_1st_Place.jpg

Harold_Oswald_56_Ford_Country__Sedan_with_Moon_Eyes_Dragster_1st_Place.jpg

Harold_Oswald_Moon_Etes_Dragster_1st_Place.jpg

Good luck with your build; you're off to a great start!! It is certainly an attention-grabbing trio!

:lol:

Danno:

That is sweet! If you're in contact with this fellow, could you ask him what he used for the front axle for the dragster. He's got the correctly shaped axle with the curved up ends whereas the kit axle is straight across. I'm scratchbuilding a new one out of brass but I'm just curious where he sourced that axle?

Danno:

That is sweet! If you're in contact with this fellow, could you ask him what he used for the front axle for the dragster. He's got the correctly shaped axle with the curved up ends whereas the kit axle is straight across. I'm scratchbuilding a new one out of brass but I'm just curious where he sourced that axle?

Terry,

Consider it done!

Dan :lol:

Danno:

Terry, have you looked at a Mickey Thompson Attempt I kit. It's got a Dragmaster frame with the double driver's hoop and the axle is not straight. I don't know if is what you need, but you should check it out.

Terry, you may want to look for one of these front axles. 5535406267_9290f53edf.jpg

This is RDU-2451 under the name of "Curbside Dioramics". Here I used it on a Fiat Altered that I started about 10 years ago 5535984092_654d4f434f.jpg(one of these days I will complete it). Anyway, it looks like a close fit. In fact I have a Mickey Thompson Attempt kit that I brought many moons ago to build the Moon Eyes dragster with, and yes the front axle on that kit is way too narrow, which is why I have the metal axle in the picture here for a substitution. Just thought this might help you out......by the way, you did a great job resurrecting that poor old "beat" pick up....it looks great now.

Danno:

Bad news, Terry. I checked with Harold and he told me he got the basic dragster chassis as a partially-built unit in a lot of several built-ups. He has no idea where the axle came from.

He was trying to figure out what to do with the gluebomb dragster and the resin Ford wagon he had also purchased, when the Mooneyes Drag Team idea came to him. So, bottom line: he doesn't know the source of the front axle.

No help here. Sorry! B)

:lol:

:P

Terry, have you looked at a Mickey Thompson Attempt I kit. It's got a Dragmaster frame with the double driver's hoop and the axle is not straight. I don't know if is what you need, but you should check it out.

Neil...I had heard from someone somewhere before that the Attempt I is a good donor for the axle. Don't have one of those kits though. Maybe someone will have one this Sunday.... ;)

Terry, you may want to look for one of these front axles. 5535406267_9290f53edf.jpg

This is RDU-2451 under the name of "Curbside Dioramics". Here I used it on a Fiat Altered that I started about 10 years ago 5535984092_654d4f434f.jpg(one of these days I will complete it). Anyway, it looks like a close fit. In fact I have a Mickey Thompson Attempt kit that I brought many moons ago to build the Moon Eyes dragster with, and yes the front axle on that kit is way too narrow, which is why I have the metal axle in the picture here for a substitution. Just thought this might help you out......by the way, you did a great job resurrecting that poor old "beat" pick up....it looks great now.

Thanks for the thought Peter but that front axle has too high of an upsweep and kickout. Appreciate your efforts though!

And thanks for your kind words on my resurrection...still got a ways to go though...

Bad news, Terry. I checked with Harold and he told me he got the basic dragster chassis as a partially-built unit in a lot of several built-ups. He has no idea where the axle came from.

He was trying to figure out what to do with the gluebomb dragster and the resin Ford wagon he had also purchased, when the Mooneyes Drag Team idea came to him. So, bottom line: he doesn't know the source of the front axle.

No help here. Sorry! ;)

:blink:

B)

Oh well Dan...thanks for checking. No big deal...I've got a good start going on an axle out of brass... I'm actually looking into sending this out for real chroming when I get it finished!

FrontAxlestart-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Where the heck was this when I was trying to find an axle for the front of my '40 Ford Pickup?? MAN!!! :huh:

Wow Mark...you are so right....what a great diorama that would make. 2 of the most iconic early dragsters side by side? Doesn't get any better than that!

Thanks for the photos. I've amassed quite a collection of photos over the years too in anticipation of this project. Mine are here... http://public.fotki.com/tsumner/11-real-cars/mooneyes-photos/ and you're welcome to them also!

Awesome stuff, guys!

Dang! I don't need another project, but dang if Harold and Terry and Mark's pix and Dave's pix and Terry's pix aren't stoking an unwanted fire!! I can see a moony project in my future! :P:blink:

And, a diorama? Arrrrrrrgh! :D

B)

Geez, that truck is cool. So is the dragster; I've always liked that car. I think I might have to find me one of those kits. Although irrelevant to your project now, the font axle from the Hippie Hemi / Garlit's Wynn's Jammer kit would probably do the trick.

Well, now I'm inspired to start my planned SoCal Speed Shop '53 Ford PU / '34 Coupe w/trailer project.

Good luck with the rest of the build.