Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mooneyes 1960 Ford Pickup, Trailer and dragster project New pics 6/22/12

OK..a little more done on the Dragster part. I scratchbuilt the front axle by using brass tubing and bending the upsweeps in my hands using a line I drew on paper for the pattern. Then I cut a couple of short lengths of tubing and soldered them to the axle with silver bearing solder. I didn't want to use anything with lead in it anticipating actual chroming of these parts later on. Tonight I started scratchbuilding the spindles. I have a little Unimat lathe so I took a 1/4" diameter piece of brass rod and got to work. First I turned the OD to .240". Then turned the spindle's axle to .062" diam. I then chucked the spindle into a pin vise to hold it. Then I used a cutter in the dremel tool to hog out the area between the tabs where the kingpin goes through. Then filed away more material there to get a nice slide fit of the spindle over the axle tubes. More cutting and fitting and then drilling an .062" hole through the spindle tabs and It's there. I plan on turning a threadless "bolt" to use as a kingpin which you can see in the first pic of the 1:1 spindle. I now have to make the 2 arms for the left spindle..one for the steering drag link and one for the tie rod. I haven't decided yet how I'm going to make them and attach them. I may drill and tap as I have a 0000-120 tap or I may just solder them to the spindle body...we'll have to see. And then I gotta make one to match the passenger side!

This is what I'm trying to make (without the taper on the spindle axle):

1P5010308-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The partly done spindle, less the arms...

spindle3-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The spindle on the axle using a piece of .062 brass rod as a temporary kingpin...

spindle5-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The spindle in the kit wheel...

Spindle1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The wheel/tire (which I'm not going to use...I plan on scratchbuilding the wire wheels)...on the axle...

spindle4-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I love this project! Very nice work! What did you use to make the spindle? I have tried a few with brass channel, but they come out too thin and fragile looking. They worked, but didn't look as good as I had wanted.

Steve

Hi Steve,

It started out as a solid brass rod .250" in diameter. All that info is in the top of the message above. :lol:

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

IMG_0675-vi.jpg

Hey Terry I got you covered on the door logos . Pm me

Those look really nice and even have the curve to the "Moon Equipment Co.". Only thing I see wrong is the eye's are looking the wrong direction based on the first pic of the real truck. Pretty darn close though.

This is an awesome build, and glad I stopped in and checked this out. Great job on resurrecting the glue bomb, it looks like brand new.

Any more for us ???

Those look really nice and even have the curve to the "Moon Equipment Co.". Only thing I see wrong is the eye's are looking the wrong direction based on the first pic of the real truck. Pretty darn close though.

This is an awesome build, and glad I stopped in and checked this out. Great job on resurrecting the glue bomb, it looks like brand new.

He will probly have to get them printed by someone who can swap them left and right. I'm betting on the real truck they lean forward on both sides.

I'll just use them as they are. Mr. Jackson was kind enough to send me a set of 2!

And I just sent in an order to Modelhause yesterday for new window glass, front and rear bumpers, front grill and rear taillights. When that stuff gets in hopefully I can finish up the pickup truck part of this build!

• 1 month later...

Got my order in today from Modelhaus! Yay! Now I can continue on this project. I ordered and received the front and rear bumpers with beautiful fresh chrome, a set of rear red taillights and the front and rear windows. The latter are vacuformed but that's ok...I'm used to working with vacuformed "glass" on airplane models so it should work out ok. Add to that the nice little door decals Tom Jackson so kindly sent me and it looks like I can now finish up this truck!

Modelhausparts-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Wow looking good. How does the modelhaus glass fit? I have a resin kit I bought but the glass was a rough vacuumformed

windshield ?I need a good replacement.

I don't know yet as I just got it today and both the front and rear are vacuformed in one piece. You have to cut them both out and fit them to the openings. We will see how they fit and I'll report that here for you.

• 4 months later...

Dug out the old Mooneyes project and did a little more work on it. I cleaned up the chassis quite a bit and gave it a shot of flat black to see how it looks...and it looks pretty good!

102_1548-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Also shot the clear coats on the body and after it dried I applied the Mooneyes decals on the doors... Many MANY thanks to Tom Jackson for those excellent door decals!

102_1550-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Found that I have QUITE the problem with the interior tub! look at the photo and see how far away from the doors the outside edges of the tubs are. There is about 3/16" space on each side! Not sure how I'm going to go about correcting that. Might have to cut the sides off and extend them to fit the interior...

102_1549-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Left side with decal on.

102_1552-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Terry Sumner

Hey, Old Folks !

Foggy recollection , been decades since I've been in one. , but .... The tops of those doors were quite wide and then rolled down . Plastruct strips are our friend here ? Might be easier than splitting the interior and moving it outward at the panels .