Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any interest in a 8lug truck steel wheel?

Hello Guys, Always liked pickup trucks/offroad stuff so Im branching out a bit on some new products.

Early in the year I started on a more accurate 8 lug steel wheel that seems to be missing from the model building community(1/25scale)Also seeing foxer's need for the wheels really pushed me into finishing them.

I know of the dodge pickup 8 luggers, but to me they are goofy looking, which is why I wanted these. They measure 16mm behind the wheel bead, the flange itself is 16.20mm

I will make centers for them and will sell them like that with a locker front hub and a plain old 8 lug floater hub center. I lack a mill right now so doing the tiny bolts on a locker hub will be difficult, so for now it will get one from a dirt track car.

Any interest in the tires too? based on the bridgestones (when they are in production they will not be branded to avoid trademark mumbo jumbo)

I will have 3 versions, 7.30mm wide, 9mm and the 11mm (the wide one is a test, i will eliminate the center parting mark as much as i can on the master)

Centers are 16mm

Still based on the satco tire, so they are still 30mm tall, while not a huge tire, it still makes a perfect tire for pickups with stock to mild lifts.

P3022950-vi.jpg

P3022949-vi.jpg

P3022948-vi.jpg

Thanks Kris!

Mike they will most definitely be available with and without tires. ;)

I have not priced the tires yet but the wheels will be a set of 4 for $5.50 +shipping

Wheels should be done next week or so. First preproduction set goes to Foxer for his Van, so it doesnt end up sitting on jackstands and blocks at the masscar show in a few weeks! B)

8 lug steelies are now available. Working on the wide deep versions, which are about 7mm total(5mm deep if you were looking into the wheel) new wide tire was made to suit the wheels but its still 16mm so it fits most standard wheels anyways.

Tire measures 13mm at the tread and 15mm on the sidewall. its just a "what if" tread pattern, inspired by the 70's jumbo looking tires)

Next wheel is a 8 spoke wagon style wheel from the dodge d50 kit. i shaved off the outer lip and made a deeper wheel, using the steelie outer hoop so it too is 5mm deep. Not a fan of the center caps but that can be drilled out.

P3112955-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

P3112957-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

P3112958-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

P3112962-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

P3112963-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

• 2 weeks later...

Stewart, I dont think I will widen the 8 lug wheels any wider as they will look a little "cartoony" I can add about 3mm to the width on the tires as dirt track sprint cars have many sizes of some cool tread tires for different tracks they race on, so this would be similiar to that in width (17-18mm wide)

I will do some mockup and see where things stand next week.

Ryan, I noticed that you opened a NEW account on eBay and this second batch of rims aren't selling like the first...why not go back & change usernames on your original account, the first batch you sold under your original username went fast!

Some people are afraid of buying from members with no feedback.

Also, are you going to be including the center hubs in the future copies?

Things will pick up. My name is established now, and feedback will be rolling in shortly.

Hubs will happen in future sets, I just dont have a mill right now so giving the hubs the accuracy I want has to wait, unless I use the 35 chevy dirt track modified hubs or the hubs from the f350 ford dually(which are on the small side and tapered)

• 2 weeks later...