Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beginning work on a used car lot

Larryhagmansliver

Thought it would be a good scene to display several late model cars all at once. I have the basic idea of what I would like to do, but I'm not sure what to use for the ground - Gravel? Blacktop? Dirt? It's going to be a "Buy here, pay here" type place along an old country road. What do you guys think would look best?

Also - I want to have a car being pushed in by an irate customer with the hood open and smoke billowing out. What are some of my options for the smoke?

Being as I have done bout ever thing there is in carz krimes , I might suggest a small perhaps old gas station , a small, non- descript art- deco building , or perhaps a plain brick affair for an office . Generally, a car- port served as the make ready and repair facility . I know from experence how bad working in some of these dirty places were . You'll need a broken down ole wrecker too.

Hey man , BLACKTOP !Put up Lottsa flags ! Yep string pennents on some fishing line . have some outdated fixtures to keep rif raff like us out the lot at night . You'll need bigg ole signs with , "The Working Mans friend " , "Low Down " Low Milages , Runs fine , E- Z Payments , CLEAN , V-8 , Full Power !, 1 owner , Great Gas milage !

Ed Shaver

Being as I have done bout ever thing there is in carz krimes , I might suggest a small perhaps old gas station , a small, non- descript art- deco building , or perhaps a plain brick affair for an office . Generally, a car- port served as the make ready and repair facility . I know from experence how bad working in some of these dirty places were . You'll need a broken down ole wrecker too.

Hey man , BLACKTOP !Put up Lottsa flags ! Yep string pennents on some fishing line . have some outdated fixtures to keep rif raff like us out the lot at night . You'll need bigg ole signs with , "The Working Mans friend " , "Low Down " Low Milages , Runs fine , E- Z Payments , CLEAN , V-8 , Full Power !, 1 owner , Great Gas milage !

Ed Shaver

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines, although the signs I wanted to put on the car were like the attached pic, just not sure how to do that yet. Printable static cling stickers maybe?

Am I better off using sandpaper for blacktop or textured paint, or something else altogether?

As far as the building, I just ordered that modeling software that someone posted up here and I thought I'd play around with that. I want to included clear windows and a small indoor showroom.

Edited by Larryhagmansliver

Hummmmm, uh 150 grit sand paper might do the trick . I never used it though. If it were me , I might go for a textured paint as a used car lot would have a terrible surface as in most cases . hey, keep it real, some small pot holes , patches , Common. I used to seal coat parking lots part time back in Dallas . You have to go photograph a REAL lot . Ed Shaver

Nice to see you back Ed. All of your suggestions were great and spot-on for what could be a 'Good Used Car' facility. I used to go down 'the strip' outside Norfolk N.O.B and just laugh at all the second-hand car dealers....some of the junk they would try to pass off as good used cars. Oh, and E1-up financing availiable!

Very nice so far. Where did you find the "OK" used car and Pontiac signs?

For the macadam surface, I think sandpaper might actually be a bit coarse. I'd suggest buying a couple of bags of N-Scale model railroad ballast, apply it to the flat surface with glue and then paint it with Floquil Grimy Black, Aged Concrete with a little black mixed in, or I believe either Floquil or Polly-S makes a color called "Asphalt" if you want the new hot-top look. For older hot-top, use the Aged Concrete/some kind of black and put some spots of Grimy Black on the surface to deliniate oil leaks, etc.

Steam billows could be simulated with separated cotton balls, torn up to make it look wispy. The white takes care of the color. Attach with craft glue.

Charlie Larkin

Very nice so far. Where did you find the "OK" used car and Pontiac signs?

For the macadam surface, I think sandpaper might actually be a bit coarse. I'd suggest buying a couple of bags of N-Scale model railroad ballast, apply it to the flat surface with glue and then paint it with Floquil Grimy Black, Aged Concrete with a little black mixed in, or I believe either Floquil or Polly-S makes a color called "Asphalt" if you want the new hot-top look. For older hot-top, use the Aged Concrete/some kind of black and put some spots of Grimy Black on the surface to deliniate oil leaks, etc.

Steam billows could be simulated with separated cotton balls, torn up to make it look wispy. The white takes care of the color. Attach with craft glue.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks for the advice Charlie. I decided to go with textured spray paint for the pavement, which is kind of the easy way out, but should do fine. Cotton balls seemed like an obvious choice for smoke, I'm just afraid it would come out looking really cheesy since I'm still kind of a novice at this stuff.

The "OK" sign is actually an N scale piece that I bought on ebay from this guy. It will probably be the highlight of the display since it's light up and animated. Way cool piece! a still pic doesn't do it justice. If you scroll down the page of his auction, you can see it animated in action. It's actually got about 10 different programs built into it.

Speaking of ebay - does anyone know where else I can find this figure..... Painter with compressor? I missed out on the bidding and the seller hasn't listed anymore. I don't know if this is one that he cast himself or if it's available commercially.

The Pontiac "sign" is actually just a lapel pin that I stuck through the side of the building. I'd like to cover the entire building front face with weathered vintage signs car signs. It just so happens that Pontiac is my favorite name plate, so I started there.

I think I would stick to an era,Example..... Like the 1970s, use 1960s cars or trucks. If you had a 90s model truck on a lot a 60s model would be vintage and usually not seen very much. You could have one fixed up like amature restored but I would try to keep to an era.

Now for the smoke I would use cotton you have to experiment a little with it but it is doable.

Small Used car lots in the 70s sometimes had flags hanging from poles and in between them light bulbs.GOOGLE IMAGE the era you want to model and then used car lot. Like (60s used cars) or (60s used car lots). I hope this may help.

post-7633-0-14753100-1300050752_thumb.jp

I think I would stick to an era,Example..... Like the 1970s, use 1960s cars or trucks. If you had a 90s model truck on a lot a 60s model would be vintage and usually not seen very much. You could have one fixed up like amature restored but I would try to keep to an era.

Now for the smoke I would use cotton you have to experiment a little with it but it is doable.

Small Used car lots in the 70s sometimes had flags hanging from poles and in between them light bulbs.GOOGLE IMAGE the era you want to model and then used car lot. Like (60s used cars) or (60s used car lots). I hope this may help.

I know the clash of eras is kinda weird, but I'm going for an angle similar to what this used car lot does...

Phil's Classics

Still, I've done some rearranging and some of the cars are out, some others are in. I'm close to being "finished" (is anyone ever really finished?) but I'm waiting on one really cool piece to show up for the far right side and I'm finishing up a car that goes along with it. I also have some clean up to do where the seams of the building and background join up to one another. Here's where I'm at now though....

The beater ford has been relegated to the back. One of the Chevy trucks will probably be replaced by a car as well.

post-7726-0-68968500-1300138559_thumb.jp

The sign says it all!

Added a little more...

The door is open on the charger because I plan on adding a prospective buyer to the inside with a slimeball-type salesman working her over...

This Grand Am came in from auction with damage to the passenger side door. A trip to the junkyard netted a door that was already primered. Now just a few coats of paint and she'll be good to go...

Hope he did a good enough job masking it off! Newspaper isn't as effective at keeping paint from bleeding through as actual body shop masking paper. The lot manager must be cheaping out on supplies again!

post-7726-0-62292900-1300444360_thumb.jp

The small block chevy is not going into this PT Cruiser, but it makes a nice display piece. This is the car that I want to have smoking with a concerned customer looking on...

post-7726-0-41866700-1300444315_thumb.jp

Another shot of the inside of the building. The truck in the showroom is actually half a truck, it's an optical illusion that makes it appear whole. The building was constructed using the model builder software and strategic cuts to add depth...

post-7726-0-96585600-1300444452_thumb.jp

Not meanin to be picky, but jus bout ever dang body shop I ever worked in was junked / trashed up. You ned newspapers wadded up on the floor , paint spatters on the concrete ! Hey, I want crumpled fenders , dirt , common throw some Bondo boards on the floor . Get this floor looking like a WELL USED repair shop . :P Ed Shaver

theres some stuff for trains that use a heating filament and liquid of some sort that produce smoke for the steam powered trains. My suggestion is to look it up on google or talk to a model train distributor and get it. then place it in the base of your diorama under the vehicle of choice and hide the power source and switch in the building. The smoke will look realistic as if the lower radiator hose blew off and the coolant is leaking everywhere. the smoke will come out of the bottom and under the hood if placement is just right :P

theres some stuff for trains that use a heating filament and liquid of some sort that produce smoke for the steam powered trains. My suggestion is to look it up on google or talk to a model train distributor and get it. then place it in the base of your diorama under the vehicle of choice and hide the power source and switch in the building. The smoke will look realistic as if the lower radiator hose blew off and the coolant is leaking everywhere. the smoke will come out of the bottom and under the hood if placement is just right :P

Dammn Kevin, college was jus what you needed . I can see you really learned a few things an I'm proud of ya ! Great suggestions sir ! :rolleyes: Ed Shaver

This one was at the 2001 GSL - lots more pics in this album, used car lot starts on page 15 - enjoy!

fe8faa15jpgorig-vi.jpg

I love it! I wish I had the space to do something that big.

There's a few things I still have to come up with on my checklist to finish mine off.

-smoke from the PT Cruiser (love the train smoke suggestion)

-figure of a customer in shock over his/her newly purchased smoking pt cruiser

-cracks, oil stains, etc. on the pavement

-balloons tied to the mirrors or antennaes on the cars

-windshield stickers

-slimeball salesman and his mark

-a light for the inside of the office

-manager figure sitting at the desk in the office

-vintage signs for the outside walls

Dave - your resources page has been a really big help. I already have some of the above items on order through places that you had mentioned on there. I greatly appreciate what you did putting that together.

Other things I'm leaning toward doing are eliminating both Chevy trucks in place of one car displayed at a slight angle so that the stuff in the back is easier to see, and swapping out the beater Ford for a different yet-to-be-built rust bucket.

• 3 weeks later...

For the celing lights again try i thing G scale train stuff will work. look for interior lighting and see what they got. if that dont work goto radio shack and take a look in their small components area. They have L.E.Ds as well as 12v lamps. i can provide a wiring diogram for you if you like to wire them up. All i need to know is how you want it and the amount of lights you want to use. Heres another idea you know those pictures of cars that light up? Use fiberoptics and L.E.Ds to light up the headlights and stuff. As soon as i finish painting a car i'll do a tips and tricks for the fiberoptics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The locomotive smoke unit is a good idea. Might be worth investigating.

I am curious- where did you find a late-model Grand Am?

Coming out nicely.

Charlie Larkin

Hi Charlie, sorry for taking so long to reply. I haven't been online for awhile.

The Grand Am was actually a pro stock resin that I took various parts from other models to make it look like a street car.

Truth be told, it didn't come out as well as I had hoped and I think I may put another car in its place, with the same painting the door theme.

• 4 weeks later...