Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1955 Chevy Belair Hardtop - Test Shot Pics & Review

Thanks for posting up the pics. I wanna do a custom tri-five and I'm still up in the air whether to stick with the newer-tool AMT '57 I've already got or go with the new-tool Revell '55. There's a lot I like and dislike about each.

IMO, there is something just "off" about the side profile of the new tool Revell '55 hardtop. whatever it is bothers me enough that i've gotten rid of the kits i did have and will pass on having a hardtop coupe in my collection.

the other thing i hate is that separate side chrome piece, no idea what Revell was thinking with that move, no idea.

Thanks for posting up the pics. I wanna do a custom tri-five and I'm still up in the air whether to stick with the newer-tool AMT '57 I've already got or go with the new-tool Revell '55. There's a lot I like and dislike about each.

Yes, DoubleD, I agree. Something about the proportions of the windshield posts, vent windows, and curve of the upper corners of the windshield opening is off. The vent window areas are also somewhat different from side to side. I did a '55 hardtop shortly before Revell released this kit using the Revell'ogram convertible body and an "old tool" AMT '57. Was a little annoyed that they decided to announce just weeks after I finished the build, but when I saw the their hardtop body, I was glad I'd done it my way. I also hate that glue-in chrome molding but dealt with it by stripping it, gluing it in, then BMFing after final paint 'n polish.

Lobbs, if it's any consolation, the great virtue of the Monogram/Revell 1/25 tri-five Chevy series is interchangeability from kit to kit since they're based off each other. They also are quite compatible with AMT's old '57, '55 Nomad and BelAir two door sedan. The "new tool" AMT '57 is a nice kit, particularly the engine (which I used in my '55), but the body seems oversized compared to the Revell kit series, and as a result seems the "odd kit out" among tri-five kits.

Revell's '57 BelAir hardtop snap kit is also pretty good, but I've never had the opportunity to do a wheel to wheel comparison.

Here are a couple shots of the '55 hardtop conversion...

55chev2-vi.jpg

Belair2-vi.jpg

Yes, DoubleD, I agree. Something about the proportions of the windshield posts, vent windows, and curve of the upper corners of the windshield opening is off. The vent window areas are also somewhat different from side to side. I did a '55 hardtop shortly before Revell released this kit using the Revell'ogram convertible body and an "old tool" AMT '57. Was a little annoyed that they decided to announce just weeks after I finished the build, but when I saw the their hardtop body, I was glad I'd done it my way. I also hate that glue-in chrome molding but dealt with it by stripping it, gluing it in, then BMFing after final paint 'n polish.

Lobbs, if it's any consolation, the great virtue of the Monogram/Revell 1/25 tri-five Chevy series is interchangeability from kit to kit since they're based off each other. They also are quite compatible with AMT's old '57, '55 Nomad and BelAir two door sedan. The "new tool" AMT '57 is a nice kit, particularly the engine (which I used in my '55), but the body seems oversized compared to the Revell kit series, and as a result seems the "odd kit out" among tri-five kits.

Revell's '57 BelAir hardtop snap kit is also pretty good, but I've never had the opportunity to do a wheel to wheel comparison.

Here are a couple shots of the '55 hardtop conversion...

55chev2-vi.jpg

Belair2-vi.jpg

At the risk of being sacrilegious, there are some styling cues I don't care for on the tri-fives. I love the 1:1 '57 from every angle but the front 3/4 view. Something about how the spear terminates behind the headlight bucket has always struck me as "off". I've debated doing a "naked" mild custom '57 shaving off the side trim and molding all the other chrome details into the body for a modern-car monochrome type appearance. I haven't been able to find anything close to my idea through Google searching so I'm having some difficulty visualizing the finished product. I don't care for the '56 at all so it's out. I'm feeling drawn now to the '55 after seeing several customized street rod style builds during my '57 research. The only thing I don't really like about the Revell '55 hardtop in the extension on the rear spear down to the bumper. I much prefer just the spear by itself like on your gold build. I'm wanting to do a tri-five for the "fleet" just don't know which way to go. If you see an AMT '57 Street Machine and ProShop kit hit the swap section I've decided to go Revell '55.

• 2 years later...