Model Cars Magazine Forum

Test Shot Pics & Review - Revell 1958 Chevy Impala Hardtop

Here's another Chevy that looks to be right on the money! While I'll be curious to compare this one to AMT's evergreen '58.............2007 tooling makes this one up to the minute.

It looks as though the trunk opens on it------that's good 'cuz it'll save me some work! :mrgreen:

I see no probs with the body shape here............everything looks to be proportioned the way it should. Get your sharp exacto blades ready for this one! That's an awful lot of chrome as I can attest to! :wink:

P3241277-vi.jpg

P3241274-vi.jpg

P3241275-vi.jpg

P3241276-vi.jpg

P3241278-vi.jpg

Stance appears correct as far as a test shot goes and the tires have the period correct www's..........I also like the optional spinners on the hubcaps. Looks like I'll be doing another '58 down the road! :)

Sometimes I wish I did! I took them at NNL East yesterday............there was a nice display there and Ed Sexton of Revell was there to talk with us and answer questions.

I didn't take close up pics of the Camaro as it's pretty much the same as the current RC2 kit........but it's a bit better IMO (especially the wheels).

I just don't get too excited about '49 Mercs which was there as a test shot although I'll probably buy one.

Is all the chrome side trim going to be seperate? While the kustom guy in me likes that feature because it makes it easy to remove, the rep stock part of me looks at that upper rear fender trim and wonders if it will break as easily as the Trumpeter Bonneville chrome. The tool looks great

I just don't get too excited about '49 Mercs which was there as a test shot although I'll probably buy one.

I'll second that, Bill. While I'll probably buy one Merc, it doesn't do much for me like the '55 & '58 Chevies. If the AAR was as good as the Bowtie duo.....I guess we'll never know.

IMHO, the Merc will sell like gangbusters initally, but won't have the staying power as the Deuce kits or the venerable '55 Chevy and '69 Camaro.

Is all the chrome side trim going to be seperate? While the kustom guy in me likes that feature because it makes it easy to remove, the rep stock part of me looks at that upper rear fender trim and wonders if it will break as easily as the Trumpeter Bonneville chrome. The tool looks great

Looking at the separation lines in the chrome, it looks like it will be on chrome trees. If I get to building one, I would strip the chrome with Easy-Off.....and then attach it before I painted the body. If it breaks while removing it off the tree, you could always piece it in on the body and fill it in as needed.

Once everything is all polished out, then BMF the chrome to keep everything consistent.

IMHO, the Merc will sell like gangbusters initally, but won't have the staying power as the Deuce kits or the venerable '55 Chevy and '69 Camaro.

I partially agree wth this statement. I agree that it will sell like hotakes initially, to the enthusiasts and lunatic fringers. But, I think as long as it stays on Chain Mart shelves it will sell for a many years to come to "joe public". The casual builders and nostalgia seekers will hopefully keep this one around for a long time, and maybe even draw some new blood into our hobby.

I'm having one of my optimistic days today, lol.

is the 58 a 2n1 kit or is it all stock? plus does it come with fender skirts? :P

Hi Ted! 8)

Welcome to the board!

Looking at the test shot which I was able to pick up and examine...............it does have the stock wheel covers and what looked to be a stock interior. Don't know about the fender skirts though.............

Hopefully Revell doesn't slip us a red herring and change up on us but it looks to be a 2'n'1 kit.

I'll have to disagree on this one Marc. Just looking at the set up of this kit and all the optional parts, this one is going to sell! I'll go as far to say this will kill off the AMT Merc, for everyone but the most srious replica stock builders.

Most of the AMT mercs have been built as customs, a lot of people will like the fact that they can build a chopped Merc with out having to do the chop themselves. Added to that the extra period custom parts will sell even more kits just to get the parts.

Once the aftermarket gets involved and tools up resin bodies for this it will have the same affect on the market as the Revell Choppers. People who normally wouldn't build a period custom will be lured in by being able to have a smooth looking custom on their shelves with out all the work. The people who already do customs will be able to take this one a bit further because all the basics are already done. I plan on buying a ton of them myself.

even though I suspect most everyone here knows you, you might wanna add your real name to your sig ... that is, unless you want to risk being pulled over and cited by the Chat Police!

You mean Chopper isn't his real name? When I was at the Cookeville show i heard someone call him "Chopper" and I knew exactly who he was. Welcome to the board!

Here's one of the Revell diecasts. The plastic version is done off the same mold. Bill's right,,,the interior is stock. It appears that all the chrome will be separate as on the diecast. I doctored the paint and changed the wheels on this one, but this is basically what we'll get in plastic.

DSCN0687-vi.jpg

DSCN0692-vi.jpg

DSCN0688-vi.jpg

I saw the Merc at the show, asked them why they did something that has already been done to death in plastic as well as resin. I got no real answer. But I'll still pick up a couple of them.

Bob

It's because the other vintage Amt subjects R-M re-tooled did very well.

And since the future of amt is again uncertain, they might even do more of those "sure things" albeit with a modern twist.

Thx.

Luc Janssens

Belgium

I was talking with Bill Geary on the way back from the show about the Cuda and how some of the proportions on it were kind of out of tilt, Bill, can you elaborate more on this for the guys please................

• 8 months later...

Got this into the shop this week.

At first glance, it looks good. Can be built stock, or modern custom(bling wheels) Separate chrome (very good chrome I might add), opening hood, and trunk. 348/409 motor, with stock, and custom parts. It's 1/25th.

Body is molded in white with no visible sink marks. They have made a new plug for the inside of the mold, it doesn't have the slab sides that we've seen in the past in other kit done based on diecast. It has separate hood, and trunk. All of the chrome trim is cast separate, and looks to be very nice(may be fun getting off the sprue, very fine in places). We get a straight rear bump, as well as a continental rear bump. Skirts are optional, and nicely done. Head lights are multi piece(maybe not a good idea, I'm missing one of the head light buckets) with really nice separate head light trim. Tail light are molded in clear red, and clear for back-up, they come with their own plated trim. Windows are spilt with separate front and rear.

Interior has a base plate that runs from the front to the rear of the car, includes the trunk area, and the engine compartments front inner fenders(these look a little odd, but may look right once the other parts are added to it, i.e. Outer fenders) The base of the rear seat is molded in to the floor, with separate seat back. The front seat is a bench style. The seats seem a little soft on engraving, but include decals for the seat pattern. The dash has several decals for gages, and separate steering column, and very fine wheel. Door pad engraving looks good.

The motor looks to be a 348. Engraving on this is a little soft, not very sharp, and details like bolts are missing. It has a 3 deuce set-up for carburetors, and comes with separate air cleaners, set-up looks to be small, . They have done the “rams horn†styled exhaust headers, with the heat shields molded on. Radiator looks good with a 2 piece fan shroud. There is a nice set of custom valve covers, along with stock ones.

The chassis looks good with “X†frame molded in. It has separate front and rear suspension pieces, as well as stock exhaust. Can be built at 2 ride heights, fixed steering.

2 different wheel sets are supplied in this kit, stock, and bling(which are not too bad, just big) The stock hub caps look right, with very fine line engraving, and separate spinners. Stock tires are 2 piece with white wall inserts. The bling rims a directional, with no profile tires.

Over all not too bad for a kit with it’s diecast heritage. Think I may need to build one white, with some red ascents

post-218-1196662468_thumb.jpg

post-218-1196662525_thumb.jpg

post-218-1196662549_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randy