Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is Revell's old 1/32 UH-1D/H Huey, with Fireball Modelworks decals. I built her in the markings of Robert Mason's bird in Viet Nam. Mason wrote the book "Chickenhawk".

6dfdb0dfa6_th.jpg

9522ba8fbd_th.jpg

b148f5ce5c_th.jpg

ccf4626f61_th.jpg

1739e439c1_th.jpg

e4681f9f0d_th.jpg

cc5b4f4eef_th.jpg

524c26cbef_th.jpg

421f8ee03d_th.jpg

Nice, brings back memories.

I'd always try to sit back in that corner next to the transmission housing right behind where the door gun is on your bird. I could see out, and bail out pretty quick if it hit the fan.

If we were close to the ground that is.................... :rolleyes:

G

• 3 weeks later...

Jim even today I can recognize that thumping rotor from miles away.

G

Oh, yeah.

:)

Nice chopper, Lee. I have three of the 1/24th kits patiently waiting in my 'to-do' pile; some day, some day.

Any luck at all, mine will turn out nice as yours.

:D

Many moons ago my brother and I had our troop out at a local Boy Scout ranch. One of the weekend activities was a ride in a Nasty Guard Huey.

Well early Sunday morning here sit Neal and I, he being a Khe Sahn Marine and all, by the camp fire. Kinda chilly, foggy, green all over and what do we hear first? THUMP THUMP THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP. Ok, talk about a freaky moment as that slick flew over. :)

THEN, just a bit later, some Guard kiddo lets go with an M60 fitted with a Blank Firing Adapter. He was out of sight on the rifle range, but there was no mistaking that sound either. Another scoutleader said two coffee cups were suspended in mid air as we had dove to the ground so fast. ;)

Camping was never the same again, boy scouts or not. :D

I still have fond memories of those Hueys though.

G

• 4 years later...

Again, commenting on an old thread, but very nice job on the Huey.  I tried to build that kit as well, and it was an unmitigated disaster.  I don't remember any troop seats in my kit, though. :huh:  It was the gunship kit.

I read "Chickenhawk" as well.  Decent book.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't remember the last time I saw one flying other than you tube.

Fine looking model. Really takes me back. I have the Monogram 1/24 kit that I've borrowed the turbine from for an LSR thing. I really should build the Huey. Sure wish there was a Cobra in 1/24 too.

I live under an approach to a regional airport where one company still flies two Hueys. Can't mistake that rotor sound, coming in over the treeline, for anything else.