Model Cars Magazine Forum

Restomodding an annual

Basically I got a good '68 cab, hood and grille. There's other stuff there but it's pretty rough. It was built as the wrecker so there's no original bed at all. Am I correct in the assumption that I can use the '72 Chevy or GMC to fill out what's missing? I'm of the thinking that the '72 tool that's been around for eons was the last iteration of the annual kit from that series. I am planning on sliding the frame from the Revell '64/'65 under it all to get a bit more detail, I'm just needing to come up with the bed and interior.

Also, I forgot to ask. At one time there was someone casting a resin short-bed fleetside box does anyone recall who?

TIA,

Kyle "LOBBS" Laubscher

Edited by LOBBS

Yes, you can use either the AMT 1972 Chevy truck or the AMT 1972 GMC step side truck kits for what you need. RMR makes a one piece short wide bed with minitubs and separate tailgate. I have one...

DSC00048-vi.jpg

They also do the cowl hood. Bandit Resins also does a multi-piece short bed.

Click here for contact info for RMR. The trim on the RMR bed will match the 1968 trim if that is important.

The grille and bonnet - errr...hood are the main external distinguishing feature and you have them. The rest is pretty much trim level. Yes, you could use the '72 parts to fill in the blanks, albeit with slight modifications. The model would deserve to be built fairly stock IMO, just to show off that it is a rare 68 annual and not a common 72.

The six years of production, from 1967 to 1972, can be divided up into three groups of two years. The '67-'68, the '69-'70s and the '71-72s.

1967 and 1968 they shared the body introduced in 1967. The only real difference between the two is that the '68s had side marker lights. The '67 pickups were the only ones of the bunch which could be had with a small back window.

1969 and 1970s have a more upright leading edge of the bonnett - errr....hood and thus different grilles. The bonnetts and wings - errr...fenders are interchangeable on 1969 through 1972 trucks, apart from the mounting holes for the bowtie emblem on the '69 and '70 hoods. The badge was moved to the grille on 71-72 models.

1971 all Chevy light trucks got front disc brakes and hence different wheels for the half-tonners (and suburbans). The 1971 and 1972 trucks have yet another different grille without the center bar used '69 and '70.

Edited by Junkman

The grille and bonnet - errr...hood are the main external distinguishing feature and you have them. The rest is pretty much trim level. Yes, you could use the '72 parts to fill in the blanks, albeit with slight modifications. The model would deserve to be built fairly stock IMO, just to show off that it is a rare 68 annual and not a common 72.

The six years of production, from 1967 to 1972, can be divided up into three groups of two years. The '67-'68, the '69-'70s and the '71-72s.

1967 and 1968 they shared the body introduced in 1967. The only real difference between the two is that the '68s had side marker lights. The '67 pickups were the only ones of the bunch which could be had with a small back window.

1969 and 1970s have a more upright leading edge of the bonnett - errr....hood and thus different grilles. The bonnetts and wings - errr...fenders are interchangeable on 1969 through 1972 trucks, apart from the mounting holes for the bowtie emblem on the '69 and '70 hoods. The badge was moved to the grille on 71-72 models.

1971 all Chevy light trucks got front disc brakes and hence different wheels for the half-tonners (and suburbans). The 1971 and 1972 trucks have yet another different grille without the center bar used '69 and '70.

Thanks, the rarity of the cab/grille is why I was happy to pick it up as rough as it was. I always preferred the nose on the '67s and '68s to the later versions.

Yes, you can use either the AMT 1972 Chevy truck or the AMT 1972 GMC step side truck kits for what you need. RMR makes a one piece short wide bed with minitubs and separate tailgate. I have one...

DSC00048-vi.jpg

They also do the cowl hood. Bandit Resins also does a multi-piece short bed.

Click here for contact info for RMR. The trim on the RMR bed will match the 1968 trim if that is important.

Thanks Marc, I had a feeling you'd know a thing or two about restoring annuals.

Thanks Marc, I had a feeling you'd know a thing or two about restoring annuals.

Marc, I see on RMR's website a '67 w/ 6'bed. Is that it or is it something else?

Edited by LOBBS

I just sent the bumpers and grille to Little Motor Kar for replating, so this one might just move up the list a few notches. LMK if there is anything else you might need. I'm keeping mine all metal axle, so I can't help you out on the Revell chassis swap. There was someone on Ebay a few years ago that sold some remastered interiors for these trucks with separate seats. I picked up two of them while they were available and will use one on this build.

Marc, I see on RMR's website a '67 w/ 6'bed. Is that it or is it something else?

That's it and Ron will sell the bed and hood separately. Email him for a quote and availability.

In fairness to everyone who thinks I'm biased towards Ford , I have had a couple of the 1968-72 Chevrolet trucks , both were converted into wreckers . Both would do the job of Any Ford and then some ! Too bad Chevrolet went so downhill after 1972. Hey style , durability, and longevity would still make me consider a decent restorable one . Ed Shaver

Maybe we should have a '67/'68 build-off ?? B)

I might get in on that if we do. I have a gluebomb '68 that was originally built as the tow truck I rebuilding. Didn't get the regular bed, and it had the optional engine from the old IMC '48 Ford in it, plus 3 of the Hurst wheels from the same kit.

If the years get bumped up, I also have a '69, 2 AMT '72s, an MPC longbed Stepside '72, plus a couple of Blazers (one original, one Model King reissue) and a pair of GMCs.