Model Cars Magazine Forum

Joe's Garage

gasser59

Hi Brad and welcome to the forum world of diaramas!

I think your problem in posting pictures may be because you are trying to attach them directly from your files. In order to overcome this problem, you should open a free Photobucket or Fotki account (I use Photobucket which I personally find easier to use), post the pictures from you files into that account and then you can upload any number of pictures at a time.

I really like your dio. Are you planning any more?

Tony

All fixed up and much better. Thanks Tony.

As for another one? Well, I sure enjoyed working on this one but amassing all of the parts was a challenge. I built this over 15 years ago and I remember finding tools and all of the other cluttering stuff took awhile. I know there is so much more available now so who knows? I may just build another one, I'm not ruling it out.

Edited by gasser59

Hi Brad,

I absolutely love your Diorama - you've incorporated so much detail - it's really breathtaking - the lighting is very atmospheric - did you use any special lighting set-up to take the photo's?

Keep up the good work - and many thanks for sharing,

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks for the comments Paul. All of the lighting fixtures work, with the exception of the trouble light which got too hot and burnt out. When taking these pictures the lights were on and any other ambient lighting came through my studio's one south-facing window. I am planning on redoing the lighting so it doesn't run off of two 9 volt batteries as it does now. I want to put in a plug-in port for the properly rated transformer along the base in the back that's out of the way and not so noticeable when on display. The Desert Scale Classic is next month so I hope to have this done by then along with the Black Widow stock car I'm building.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a bunch more time on the Joe's Garage diorama. Added new ceiling lights, enclosed the office with lettering on the windows, a Renzor overhead gas heater, and a bunch of other stuff. At this point I could call it complete but still want to add a few more things. I was also able to fix the non-functioning trouble light. Here's a few new pictures.

TroubleLight-vi.jpg

OfficeGlass-vi.jpg

OverallView-vi.jpg

ReznorFlash-vi.jpg

As always, comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59

Fabulous dio! Looks like the scene in my 1:1 garage the other evening only with motorcycles! One thing that I thought was funny...in the very first photo it looks like the guy to the extreme right is taking a leak! :) I know...he's looking out the window. But that was my first thought when I looked at the figure in that perspective! :D

Thanks for all of the positive feedback and comments guys. Its really appreciated. Just got home from a long day of viewing models and swapping stories and build ideas from DSC. I'm pleased to report that this dio took second place in the dio category. Also, my '57 Chevy stock car took first place honors in the Replica category. Plus, I picked up a few kits and a couple beaters for one of my next builds. In addition, I met some really inspiring local builders. Lots of photos to go through. It was a very, very good day.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks guys. David - sorry I didn't get to meet up with you and have a chat. As for the category winner, his dio was appr. 2.5' by 4' and depicted a speed shop with four bays, a store, an office and restrooms along with outside area where hot rods were being worked on. It was very nicely done and situated in a plexi case. It was a big project and it took two fells to pack it out of the show. It had at least eight vehicles in it. Too big for me plus I'd have no place to store something like that.

Thanks guys. David - sorry I didn't get to meet up with you and have a chat. As for the category winner, his dio was appr. 2.5' by 4' and depicted a speed shop with four bays, a store, an office and restrooms along with outside area where hot rods were being worked on. It was very nicely done and situated in a plexi case. It was a big project and it took two fells to pack it out of the show. It had at least eight vehicles in it. Too big for me plus I'd have no place to store something like that.

Yes, I remember, there's no shame coming in behind one like that! I'm glad to have not been one of the judges.

David G.

Thx Felix. The brick work actually is HO scale block that came on a sheet that is approximately 4" tall and was over 12" long. You have to remember, this was over 20 years ago that I did the walls. I know that I spray painted them with rattle can Brick Red and the spitted rattle can a darker shade of red in a flat. In some areas, I scraped away the mortor joints with the backside of a #11 blade to expose the white plastic. The tools are from a number of different sources. Some of them are white metal, others are plastic from the Fujimi garage set.

• 2 years later...

Thanks. I enjoyed every minute of it. Deciding on a layout, collecting the parts, assembling the pieces, fabricating items, wiring it up, etc. A ton of fun. I'll build another, I'm thinking one to connect with this one through the door on the right. One with a lift or two.