Model Cars Magazine Forum

Joe's Garage

gasser59

The metal cladding on the office wall is actually printing plate. Thin aluminum sheets that have been used on a printing press. I pick them up from a local shop and offer them a few bucks for each. I use them for all kinds of things. For example, I built the tool stand/welding cart out of it.

Edited by gasser59

35 minutes ago, gasser59 said:

The metal cladding on the office wall is actually printing plate. Thin aluminum sheets that have been used on a printing press. I pick them up from a local shop and offer them a few bucks for each. I use them for all kinds of things. For example, I built the tool stand/welding cart out of it.

We still print with plates?  I thought that ship had sailed.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/23/2019 at 1:24 PM, martin9428 said:

Awesome work, by the way. I'm envious of you guys who can do diaramas and scratch build or modify models. I'm lucky to get a decent OOB build, that I wouldn't mind displaying. Maybe my current build will do the job, although there are some issues already.

Don't be envious.....be inspired!

• 10 months later...

For some time now, I've wanted to update the engine and stand that are in the dio. Since its right there in the front, it is really visible so I decided to make  stand out of brass and use the soft metal block and other engine parts from Curbside Dioramics that I've had for probably 40 years. Here's a few pictures of my progress so far. I need to order some longer bolts from Model Motorcars in FLA before I can finish this.

EngineStand1.JPG

EngineStand2.JPG

• 1 year later...

With GSL coming up,  I really need to get crackin' on this. Currently I'm working on a vintage Fender Stratocaster using photo reference from my brother. I'm just not sure where I'm going to put it since this wasn't planned until recently.

I made the body out of two sheets of Evergreen glued together, the neck is made from actual oak and the fret board is made from printing plate. My plan is to have strings on it, time will tell.

I also added a picture 'Codi's' Bantam build he completed some time ago. I told him I was going to do this eventually.

The fun continues.

Strat1.jpg

BantamPoster.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gasser59 said:

With GSL coming up,  I really need to get crackin' on this. Currently I'm working on a vintage Fender Stratocaster using photo reference from my brother. I'm just not sure where I'm going to put it since this wasn't planned until recently.

I made the body out of two sheets of Evergreen glued together, the neck is made from actual oak and the fret board is made from printing plate. My plan is to have strings on it, time will tell.

I also added a picture 'Codi's' Bantam build he completed some time ago. I told him I was going to do this eventually.

The fun continues.

Strat1.jpg

Wherever you put it you need to have the proper album cover nearby! I read the thread title and have had the whole album running through my head ever since.

It wasn't very large
There was just enough room to cram the drums
In the corner over by the Dodge
It was a fifty-four
With a mashed up door
And a cheesy little amp
With a sign on the front said "Fender Champ"
And a second hand guitar
It was a Stratocaster with a whammy bar

Zappa_Joe's_Garage.jpg