Model Cars Magazine Forum

Joe's Garage

gasser59

Hey Tyler. I made it out of aluminum tubing since I knew the bulb would get too hot for plastic. I cut slots in the top and tapered the tabs into points so I could bend them over to make a dome shape. The trouble light actually plugs into a wall outlet under the windows on the back wall. Thanks for your interest and comment.

• 4 months later...

Work on Joe's Garage continues. I made a list of things I still want to do including bit more work on the Reznor heater by adding a flue pipe, need to add more stuff to the shelving upstairs along with more loose stuff on the floor, need to add more stains on the concrete floor and add a hook to the now functioning trouble light. Stay tuned.

Ok fellas, the Reznor space heater got a flue pipe although not much time yesterday because of Mother's Day. Sure nice to be back working on this.

ReznorluePipe1-vi.jpg

Work will continue.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks fellas. 

Chris - I don't know whether this will ever be finished. Always something to add. Been working on it tonight in fact.

Dennis - thanks for checking in. Still a bit more to work on so stay tuned.

Tom - Glad you were able to catch up with Joe's Garage. Lots going on.

Charlie - thanks so much my friend.

Been slowly adding a few more details on Joe's Garage. Joe's been hoarding a couple of vintage radiator shells and he finally bit the bullet and got them hung up along with a couple more tin signs he picked up at a local flea market.

RadiatorShells1-vi.jpg

Joe's committed to get some more items upstairs on the shelves because inventory is getting low.

LowInventory-vi.jpg

Stay tuned.

Edited by gasser59

Wow, Brad!  How did I miss this thread all these years? 

Fortunately, I didn't miss Joe's Garage itself, and Dave's right -- the pix just don't do the real thing justice!

Great upgrades, my friend.  You're right: it'll probably never be 'done.'

• 2 weeks later...

Joe realized if he's going to order more inventory and keep the shelves stocked, he's going to need a dolly to transport the items into the shop.

DollyHorizontal-vi.jpg

DollyVertical-vi.jpg

Built this out of brass rod and am using a couple of HO slot car rims along with a treaded tire that I cut in half to make two tires.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks so much Mark. Appreciate you taking the time to comment.

A bit of time done on the dolly and a few package boxes. 

Dolly4-vi.jpg

Dolly5-vi.jpg

A few more packages to assemble and then I'll post some pictures of them in place.

Edited by gasser59

I made the boxes by drawing them out in Illustrator on the computer and printing them on a paper grocery bag. The wheels were made with aluminum tubing, brass hubs soldered to the axle and a piece of sheet aluminum for the rear of the rim that was punched out with my MicroMark adjustable hole punch. I love that thing. They were weathered with some Black Folk Art paint. The dolly needs just a bit of weathering and some rubber tubing on the handle.

Edited by gasser59