Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Scott... thank you so much. You are right about it being nice being able to model up stuff. It definitely alows you to visualize things for sure. Only problem is now do I send some of the parts to shapeways for a quote and have them 3D prined now...lol. I sorta want to so I can see how they print but still want to scrarch build a set...lol

Ray... thank you. My dog is doing great. He is back to his normal self...aleayswant to go for a walk...lol

Ok Fellas.... I have gotten a little bench time tonight and I am happy to say that I got a couple goodies from RB Motion so I can continue on with the breathers. I have gotten them shaped and added some primer to them to get an idea of what I need to add some bondo to.

Here is the goodies that I ordered from RB Motion. I got 3 different sized because I didn't know which one was going to work for what I needed:

DP-Army-Vega5619-1_zpsf74f4532.jpg

Here I started shaping the first breather. So far not to bad:

DP-Army-Vega5622-1_zpsdcb36af8.jpg

Both of them shaped:

DP-Army-Vega5625-1_zps1c5cb3f9.jpg

Here they are with some primer on them and they are looking pretty rough. They will need some TLC to make them look better:

DP-Army-Vega5627-1_zpsb67fa61e.jpg

Here is the opposite side:

DP-Army-Vega5629-1_zpsaa4a4446.jpg

I just wanted to show all of the pieces from the one kit from RB Motion in which I was using just the two small hex nuts for the breathers:

DP-Army-Vega5640-1_zpscc03cf3d.jpg

As usual I had to mock it up to show you guys what the vision for it is, I think it doesn't look too bad but I think the breather needs some more work. I am still wondering if I should send the parts to shapeways and have them 3D printed because I think they would be a little more uniform. What do you guys think?

DP-Army-Vega5634-1_zps970f7e35.jpg

Here is another shot of the real car so you can compare them:

Army-1copy_zps127eab94.jpg

Army-33copy_zpsf6aec015.jpg

Army-27copy_zps98e57f5b.jpg

I'm all about uniformity, Chris, so I'd vote for having them 3D printed when you come up with a drawing. Your hand-crafted ones are dead-on, but I just think it's gonna be tough to make them match to your satisfaction - and after this much time and effort... My 2-cents'! :)

Also, I agree with Paul, I believe the body of the breathers is a bit narrow, which accentuates, a little bit too much, the area where the fitting/hose attach to it.

Edited by futurattraction

After looking back at the pic, you guys are right that it is not wide enough. You wouldnt happen to have dimensions for one of these would you? I still keep thinking that it may be best if I just have some of these 3D printed because I know they will turn out much better than what I make from scrarch building them. At least they will be symetric that way...lol

Would anyone else happen to have dimensions for one of these oil breathers or the posibility to measure one for me by chance, since I dont have access to one. Thanks everyone for your inputs. I think I want to get them drawn at the correct size and have them printed they will look much better that way and I know I would be much happier with them in the long run. Although i am proud of the scrarch built ones but I can tell that both are not the same at all. It sometimes hard tonmake parts that small be exact to one another.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris - You did a fantastic job on your breathers but I know exactly what you're talking about re making small parts so they're identical (or as close to that as possible). I just think your attention to detail will catch up to you if you don't 3D them.

I know these breathers aren't identical to what is on the Snake's engine, but there are at least a couple of dimensions shown that might offer a tiny bit of guidance. If I come up with anything better, I'll be sure and let you know...

http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Products.cfm?pn=2600-0001&pID=6540

Scott... Thank you for the kind comments and the link. You are right about the attention to detail I am trying to achieve on this build. I definitely have to go the 3D printed route. I will definitely check those dimensions with what I drew up. I was just sorta basing my 3D model off the pics that I have, so I know I didn't draw it up correct...lol

Art.... Thanks Brother!! Really means a lot coming from a talented builder like yourself. I can't wait to have it done and bring it so some of the So-Cal shows. I sure miss seeing your skills around here. You got anything new on the bench??

Well guys.... I would be at the bench right now but considering that it is 94 Degree's inside of my house at the moment..... Yep when I came home from work for lunch I found out that my A/C decided to take a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH and I am waiting for a guy to get here and I just hope it is noting too big to fix....lol Soon as its up and running I will be getting my butt to the bench. Stay tuned B)

Hey Cube.... thank you. I was able to find 1 image of the Burn Down Breather I was looking for.

Ok Fellas.... So tonight I have sat at my computer for a few hours searching and redrawing the Burn down breathers and think I have got a much better model for the part that I will have 3D printed. So far by the looks of it I am much happier. I followed the trail that Scott gave me with the link he posted and based the size off the one he posted as well as another one I found on the page. I was also able to findGaskets that it had on their site which gave a few more dimensions for me to use. Here is what they look like as I saved them as Images from Solidworks....

Here is the new breather. the original one I drew up is on the left and the new one is on the right:

oilburndownbreatherisometricview_zps61df

Here is a side view of them:

oilburndownbreathersideview_zps4b345494.

Another one:

oilburndownbreatherisometricview-2_zps69

Here is comparing the 3d Model to the actual car again:

valvecoverampburndownbreatherassy_zps51b

Army-34copy_zpsd17ce072.jpg

Here is the only image I was able to find of an Ed Pink burn down breather I know its not a big pic but only thing I was able to go by, if you take a look at this pic right above this one and you will have to zoom in but I was able to see some sort of letters on the breather which lead me to believing it was an Ed Pink breather:

EDPinkBurnDownBreather_zpsabbef7f3.jpeg

Now I can't wait to get these printed and see how they turn out. I will start back on cleaning up the valve covers and blower tomorrow now that I have the breather thing all finished up.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Brad... Thank you. I have to tell you it has been hard finding any info on it...lol just glad I was able to see that little detail in the pics I have. I really wished that the pics were a bigger and better quality pic thats for sure. I can't wait to get a few of these printed and as soon as I get them back I will be hitting them with a light coat of primer and showing you guys here.

Jason... Thank you. Yea I do have to say that it is pretty cool with the 3D Technology. I would love to get a 3D desktop printer but I am hoping for the price to drop some more plus I would rather pick up my Sherline Lathe and End Mill that I have been eyeing for quite some time before a 3D printer.

Scott... You are right I was just glad I was able to find this one pic because it helped for sure. Thank on the Soldworks 3D model. I love drawing things up with this program. Whe you make a change to the 3d model all of the 2D views update on the drawing.

Dave... Thank you. Yes got the A/C fixed Friday evening. The capacitor took a dump. So glad it wasn't something more expensive...loll

Glenn... Thank you. The scratch built ones were so so but for a first attempt... Not to bad. I think I could of done another set a little better but don't think I could do them as good as a 3D printed one. I am excited to see how well they turn out once printed.