Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Incredible work that you're showing us, once again, Chris.

It must be getting a little boring to you all these OOOHHH's and AAAHH's, but with that kind of craftsmanship, that's to be expected...

Looking forward to seeing more of your skills (and enjoying them...)

Mark

Edited by Interceptor

Your skill and attention to detail are second to none. That said, please look at your new blower scoop and compare to the real one. It may just be my tired 53 year old eyes, but it kinda looks like the shape is off somewhat in the area on the sides. The flat spots that sorta resemble headphones on your ears. As I said it may just be my eyes. Please continue with this incredible artwork.

Danno... I know the update was long over due for sure. and time is ticking away for the show. I hope I can get it done in time.

John.... Thanks Brother, I appreciate your support man!!

Tim... Thank you. I have to agree that it is satisfying seeing more pieces of the puzzle come together. Although I was hoping to paint some parts this weekend but didn't get a chance to break the air brush out.

Joe... Thank you. Its appreciated.

Brad... Thanks Buddy. I am hoping to have more updates for everyone. I will be hitting the bench here shortly today.

Mike... Thank you. I am thinking it looks ok. It needs a little more sanding and some more primer before I will be 100% happy with it...lol

Mark... Thanks. This whole build I have been challenging myself by taking the detail farther than I have ever done before. So far I am happy with what I have been able to accomplish.

Bobby.... Thank you for the kind words. The Injector Hat is still a work in progress. I have to go back and redo a couple of things since I had a few things not print the way I was hoping. I also need to look into seeing if I can make the radius's on the sides a little bigger. I was planning on having a couple more printed and I will try to resolve the sides to look a little better before I send them to the printer again.

Hakan... Thank you!

Danno... I know the update was long over due for sure. and time is ticking away for the show. I hope I can get it done in time.

No problem, Chris. We're all rooting for you!!!

No pressure. PS: Only 117 days left 'til Desert Scale Classic!!!!!!l :P

Henry.... Thank you very much.

Danno... no pressure at all.... Holy Crapola i need to get a move on things....

Dave... Thank you.

Art... Thanks Brother!! always great to hear from ya.

Ron... I really appreciate the kind words. I am trying to incorporate as much as I can into this build. Hope it all pays off in the end and I am happy with the final result.

Scott... Thank you. I am super stoked about having the logo in the blower now. It just adds that extra touch.

Well fellas... this update is well just say good and bad..... some good news is that I tested to see if throwing 3D printed parts with primer into the purple pond if it would affect the frosted ultra detail material..... It worked like a charm. and well I was unhappy with how my chassis tins had turned out on paint on the inner side of the panels and made these out of printing plate that my buddy Brad aka Gasser59 gave me. Well the not so good news is that If you leave printing plate in the purple pond too long well it looks like it has a reaction and it eats it up. Not all of it is bad the side pieces are saved but the bottom pan was destroyed. I feel every time I sorta get moving in the right direction of this build to get progress done and move this build forward the wind gets knocked out of my sail. It shouldn't be a hard fix because I should still have my template I made the part from but the crappy part is the hole locations cause everything fit perfect with the other parts. I guess I should of just sanded the pieces down. Oh well guess its back to rework row for me...... Here are some pics.....

Here I dropped parts into the purple pond, I was using the Super Clean brand:

DP-Army-Vega6269-1_zps035a7897.jpg

Here is the blower stripped as well as I got the fuel tank supply port glued in place. The reason I decided to strip the blower was because the last time I was adding some primer to it. I was starting to loose some of the detail and applied a little too much primer to quickly:

DP-Army-Vega6271-1_zpsa711f15f.jpg

So here is all of the bad news pics....lol

Here is the outer side of the chassis tins. They really aren't bad and looks like I will be able to just sand the paint off and still be able to used these parts. They will just take a little time to strip by hand:

DP-Army-Vega6273-1_zps4a047de5.jpg

Here are the opposite sides, as you can see in the top piece I started to sand with a sanding stick to see how hard it would be to sand:

DP-Army-Vega6273-1_zps4a047de5.jpg

Now for the very bad pics.... haha

Here is the bottom tin work and I was amazed that they purple pond would attach the aluminum printing plate:

DP-Army-Vega6277-1_zps74c30cba.jpg

Yeah... this piece isn't fixable...lol:

DP-Army-Vega6278-1_zps8973c9ab.jpg

The side tab:

DP-Army-Vega6279-1_zpsdb344a74.jpg

Well Guys I am trying to get some motivation back in me tonight to get back to the bench tonight to try and do a little work on it if I can.... Not sure if I will work on this tin work stuff but just may put it aside for now and come back to it.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Henry... thanks man. I was happy with how the parts were made just wasn't 100% happy with the paint on them but it won't be hard to fix all of these and then they will look like new again...lol

Brad... I have to agree with you I didn't think the purple pond would of attacked them like that. I think I still have a pretty good size sheet you gave me before. But if I need more you know I will be asking you...lol

Stan... Thank you. Yeah wasn't good at all but its a good lesson for myself and anyone else using material like that or I would say aluminum in general, you probably don't want to put in the purple pond. I may have to test it with a piece of aluminum tubing to see if it does the same thing... lol

Chris, my man, Wow! I can see the look on your face. All I have to do is imagine my shock when a set back like that occurs. Especially on parts you spent so much time on. Who knew, right?

Some day you will impart your new found wisdom on a fellow modeler and their gratitude, my friend, will be your reward.

Edited by Nitrozilla

Henry.... That is so funny but so true... LOL Its a lesson learned and want everyone else to no not to do it. But it makes me want to test out a piece of brass and Aluminum tube in it just to see what happens as an experiment.

Joe... I was actually shocked to see that it attacked it. but it is nice to be able to share my experience with it so that no one else here has to go thru what I did with it. It won't be hard to have to redo the piece other than just take a little bit of time.

Ray... I never thought that was going to happen...lol but you are right its nothing that can't be handled and a new one can be made.

Joe... That is so correct from remember what I did to make it the first time and the few prototypes that were made. I don't think it should take me too long to redo since I still have the template I made from a 3x5 card. It will just take a little bit of time is all.