Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

It's times like this that I kick myself in the butt for being too lazy to drive 4 hours to come see this thing TODAY !!!!!

First, you put as much detail into your modeling as you did on that BEAUTIFUL blue Cammy of yours. I just bought a 2015 Dodge Journey and I swear they both could have come out of the same paint shop. (Blue Streak Pearl)

Next, my new favorite update. Overall masterful work.

Waiting for the DSC is like waiting for Christmas.

Danno... Thank you and thank you for the kind comments on the Elky

Scott... Thank you. it sure makes it seems like its coming together now. I just need to focus on the other engine parts so I can get it done...lol

Randy... Thank you my friend and I appreciate the comments on the Camino.

Clayton... Thank you. I think we all need to be honest and say that I have already gone past insane....LMAO :lol: I will probably need to be put in the Looney Bin after this build. To be honest I think I actually put only 1 coat but it was a little heavier than just a quick pass with how I apply it. Then after the light buff I had to go back and touch up a couple areas that I rubbed Alclad off. once that was done I shot 1 coat of the Alclad Aqua Gloss over it to seal it. Thanks on the Camino.... I need to get her fired back up its been a few years. I have had some trouble with the Carb and need to buy a new one. I miss driving her. She used to be my daily driver, I took it over when I was 16 and my dad got the car back in 1973 before I was born.

Bob... Thank you. Stay tuned because I am hoping to get more progress done today. I really was hoping to get the tranny painted but a few things have taken me little longer. I got some primer on the parts last night but I need to go back and do some body work in a few areas to clean my mess up on them...lol

Henry... Thank you

Brad... Thank you. That sounds great. I was gonna get ready to run to the paint store and hobby shop real quick then I will be home the rest of the day. got some cleaning of the house to do then the rest of the time will be all bench time.... oh Yeah!!!

Mike... Thank you. I have to say I was pretty stoked about the bottles. I just wish they would of ran the one I will be using for the fire bottle on this build. I guess I have to be patient... haha. I am glad I asked you about doing the wash the other day. It breaks it up just enough. No wild horse today as much as I would of loved being out there I had some other things that I needed to get done today.

Joe... Thank you. I need to push myself even more so I can have this close to being done by DSC. I am at the point where I want to see the whole engine together now. I would say I am close. I need to finish redrawing the injector hat and have it printed again. I started drawing up the Mallory ignition box. Then I need to draw up the K Style Barrel valve as well as the fuel distribution blocks. Then I think the engine is practically almost done. Oh yeah I can forget the distributor. Lets just say I am getting closer... haha. My Camino has been painted this color since 1994 it is Chevrolet GM code 39 Indigo Blue which was off the 1993 chevy trucks and we added an extra pint of the blue pearl in it to change it just a tad.

Alright fellas off to do a couple of errands so I can get back and get on this build..... B)

Chris , Thanks for showing the el Camino , I used to be jealous of your Vega build, now im jealous of your real car too........ :angry: ....... ( Jus kiddin mate, awesome Chevy its a beast alright... ) and great progress on the engine too. Love the colour on the blower and valve covers, polished ally effect is perfect !

I know you probably wish this and that was finished, but hey enjoy the build, we certainly are. Perfection takes time, your building THE most accurate replica of this car on the planet, so no-ones rushing you. When you finish it your appreciate every moment you spent on it, but im still looking forward to more progress, its a fantastic project ! ! Martin.

Chris.....I hope you're getting as excited as I am about the progress you're making. Those bottles and brackets are SWEET and of course your engine mock-up looks fantastic. You have a keen eye for realism. Your build deserves to be in a museum and is a real tribute to all of drag racing. Cheers, Tim

Clayton... you are welcome. Oh man I know what you mean about setting alarms off. My camino does it all the time to cars...lol

Martin.... You are welcome on the Camino Pics. Thank you for the kind words on the build. I am enjoying the build but I will be honest I can't wait to start 2 or 3 other builds that I can't wait to share with everyone here. They will be fun

Dave... Thank you very much.

Tim... Thank you. I can't tell you how excited I am getting seeing little more done. I am so anxious to be able to paint the bell housing and tranny but I still have minor clean up work on them before they are ready. thank you for saying this build should be in a museum. To be honest not sure I would want to let it go...lol but it would be an honor if lets say it was on display at the Wally Parks NHRA museum in Pomona.

Steve... Thank you on the kind words. Its still a model ;)

Ray... thank you on the Camino. Blue is my fav color

Dave.... Thank you.

Joe... Yes that is my plan anyway which I didn't get much bench time this week but going to try and make up for it this weekend. I want to get more of this motor done and I still have a few parts that I need to draw up and have 3D printed. I now can't wait to start putting some of the fittings and braided line on to really see it come together.

Mike... Thank you. The races were nice.

John... what can I say my Big Brother. Thank you. I don't know if it is perfect but I have done the best I could on some of the parts. Thanks for following along.

Ok so I have a very minor update. not a whole lot to share but I had to do some sanding from some bondo that I added to the gusset on the bell housing and a little more work to a few other tranny parts... Here is a few pics...

Here is the bell housing pretty much all done all I need to do is a final sand for paint and I also need to drill 6 more holes for another plate that has to go on the bell housing. Then its time for paint:

DP-Army-Vega%206701-1_zpswzq2gmbp.jpg

Here is the reverser section of the lenco tranny where I added material for the ribs, looks better after cleaning it up:

DP-Army-Vega%206704-1_zpsoqwnzdtc.jpg

another angle of it:

DP-Army-Vega%206705-1_zpscktpv0xe.jpg

And here is the inspection plate. When I last primed it I had gotten a heavy coat on it which it looked like it had some bubbles in a few areas so I had to sand it down and add a few light coats. It just needs a final sand and then it will see paint:

DP-Army-Vega%206709-1_zpsykicuzzo.jpg