Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

John... Thanks brother!!! :)

Aaron... Thank you. I am really happy I went with that color for the can. The two inspection plates are a tad different color and I was trying to get some sort of contrast with them. Hopefully it shows in the following pics :unsure:

Alright here are some pics of the tranny mocked up. Hopefully tomorrow I will start to actually glue some of it together:

DP-Army-Vega%206783-1_zpshaomh3mg.jpg

Here is a shot of the bell tranny installed. I was hoping that it would be noticeable that the bell housing and the inspection plates were different colors:

DP-Army-Vega%206785-1_zpsifmq47bw.jpg

here is a closer shot but it is a little blurry:

DP-Army-Vega%206787-1_zpsgutxb9uj.jpg

SO I started messing with the tranny blanket colors again since I received the colors I ordered, Here they are right out of the bottle:

DP-Army-Vega%206778-1_zpsarjnz3gf.jpg

Here is the same colors but what I did here was I took some Tamiya weathering dust:

DP-Army-Vega%206789-1_zpsiuolglyk.jpg

Here they are again on a 3x5 card:

DP-Army-Vega%206793-1_zpsiixgiroy.jpg

I think I still need to mix a few different shades to see if I can get closer to the colors

That bell housing color looks great and the subtle difference in color for the covers was a wise decision. You're close on the tranny blanket colors. It appears the lighter color needs a bit less green and a bit more blue.

Edited by gasser59

Danno... thank you buddy

Brad... thank you my friend. I cant wait to have the tranny blanket colors finalized and done. I will add some blue to the lighter green color. What do you think of the main portion of the blanket color? Does it lool close at all? I will be messing with these colors when I get home from work. I feel I am super close to having the tranny done. Here is my little list of things thay need to be done:

-solder the nut to the shifter plunger.

-paint shifter plunger black

-paint shifter linkage alclad

-glue lenco pieces together

-add scale hardware bolts to lenco pieces

-bolt lenco pieces to bell housing

-glue inspection plates and hardware to bell housing

-bolt up clutch pedal and linkage

-paint trans blanket

-install trans blanket

-glue shifter pkunger in

done...lol

Edited by Mooneyzs

There are subtle differences in the coloration of the inspection covers to the rest of the can. I hope you're happy with them. The central blanket color (to me) needs to be lightened and the outer color needs to be more blue and less green, as Brad said... Oh, did I tell you I was color-blind? Just kidding! LOL

There are subtle differences in the coloration of the inspection covers to the rest of the can. I hope you're happy with them. The central blanket color (to me) needs to be lightened and the outer color needs to be more blue and less green, as Brad said... Oh, did I tell you I was color-blind? Just kidding! LOL

X2. To me it's easier to start with a lighter color and darken it. Weathering is a good way to do that too. I'll pay you my two cents worth in a month or so.

Bob... Thank you. Yeah I have a few different colors from Vallejo to work with. these 2 different blues & greens plus a black and off white then I have 2 other military colored sets with olive drab and colors like that.

Scott... Thank you.. Yeah my custom mixing skills need a little work...haha I am sure with some experimentation I will figure it out. Hopefully it won't take me too long tonight...haha

Joe... I couldn't agree with you more. I picked colors that were the closest I could find now I need to darken and change them up a little. It's hard because I only have one pic that shows the tranny blanket and its not the best pic but it will have to do.

Clayton... You are correct that I am almost there but still feel far away on the color. the only part that will be covered is the center section so some of the detail will still be seen.

Hans... I went back and repainted the tranny with a Semi-Matt Aluminum this time. it was a tad darker than before.

Ray... This build will be there at the DSC and hoping to get as much done as I can in the next month and half. I would love to have the engine installed well it will be but when I say that meaning completely in for good but I have to think of some of the items I haven't thought about yet. well I have most of it though out but one big thing is the blower belt. I haven't quite nailed that one down what I will do for it. I have 2 or 3 cool ideas that I need to get moving on...lol

Randy... Thank you. I have to say that it starts to get exciting when you get to see more of it come together. I am so stoked to have the tranny painted. Now I need to just start assembling so I can move onto the next part of the build. Gotta get as much as I can done for when you guys see it in person next month.

Ok Fellas.... so little bit after I got home I decided to re-paint the Lenco pieces to try and see if I could get it a little darker shade. I think it is a tad darker. I probably should have mixed up two different Alclad colors for a better shade. Here are some pics of what it looks like now....

Here is the individual pieces after they were painted with Alclad ALC-116 Semi Matte Aluminum:

DP-Army-Vega%206796-1_zpspojudqyu.jpg

Here they are somewhat put together:

DP-Army-Vega%206798-1_zpsfpauaysa.jpg

Mounted to the engine:

DP-Army-Vega%206800-1_zpspc8bayzq.jpg

Mocked up in the Chassis:

DP-Army-Vega%206801-1_zpsdpa9cas5.jpg

DP-Army-Vega%206804-1_zpsv46i213t.jpg

Dave... Thank you. I am hoping to have some updates later tonight when I get some bench time later this evening.

Scott... You make a great point and I have to be honest. I am not sure what they were made from back then. I was jus going by the only pic that showed the reverser section.

Allen... Thank you very much. As far as the mock ups go on this build. Most is done by hardware that I have used. I have a bunch of parts that are put togethe with threaded bolts. Now the lenco tranny has a plastic tube that runs down the center that all the pieces slide onto. I can take some pics of how it it's put togeterr if you would like. There have been other times where I will mock things up with white glue. My go to white glue is MicroScales Krystal Klear. Or sometimes I will just parts on the engine or chassis just to take pics real quick

Bob... Thank you my Friend. I am trying on the color and accuracy of this build. don't think I am completely near it and it will have to do. I gotta tell you I should be able to start assembling the tranny tomorrow. I can't wait to basically get the engine assembled and start getting some lines hooked up. Few things I still need to work some details out since I need certain things done in a specific order before I install it in the chassis and I have to make sure I have it all covered...lol