Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Ok Fellas this evening I have been playing around with more colors for the Transmission blanket. I think I am totally close and at a point I may just call it good. To be honest I am almost tired of trying to mix colors to match. I will show you a few different colors and you all can let me know what you think and which one you guys think looks close. I will number them so you know. Alright I will show you some pics now and not bore you with my typing.

So Here is Mix #1 both colors have been weathered a little with tamiya's weathering stuff:

DP-Army-Vega%206805-1_zps7lweg6z1.jpg

This is Mix #2 and same goes here for the weathering:

DP-Army-Vega%206810-1_zps2zgdf0ok.jpg

And here is Mix #3:

DP-Army-Vega%206815-1_zpsmylylapc.jpg

Here is a shot of the colors. You can see the paint and how I was mixing them on a piece of aluminum foil (a trick I learned from my Big Brother John Teresi ;) ):

DP-Army-Vega%206824-1_zps8k6jucei.jpg

Here are the colors next to my previous attempt of the blanket:

DP-Army-Vega%206825-1_zpsjv9ktiyh.jpg

Now I wanted to place the test pieces on the actual model to get an idea of how it looks, Here is Mix #3:

DP-Army-Vega%206835-1_zpsiltp3yxu.jpg

Actual car, put this here so you can see between the two mixes:

Army-28copy_zpsd9c2941c.jpg

And this is Mix #2:

DP-Army-Vega%206836-1_zpsvz3iswhu.jpg

This is the bulk of colors mixed...LOL... Trial and Error:

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Mooneyzs/media/Plastic%20Models/1974%20Vega%20Army%20Funny%20Car/DP-Army-Vega%206843-1_zps3d3helmo.jpg.html]DP-Army-Vega%206843-1_zps3d3helmo.jpg[/url

I am not even sure if I am close at the moment. Been debating if I should try to do some more testing or just say the heck with it and choose one to go with. Let me know your guy's honest thoughts on the colors. I know its tuff because taking a picture of the colors they may not look quite the same as in person.

Edited by Mooneyzs

It seems like the bluer strips are the right color, maybe a little clutch dust might give it the right tones. I know it's tough when the reference pic looks like it's been through the washer quite a few times. If your done experimenting, I'd go with the last shot held up against the your trans, it looks the closest for my eyes.

Edited by Petetrucker07

Clayton... I have to agree with you on that. That is the one I was sorta leaning towards. I can add a little more weathering to it because I did go a little lighter with the weathering on that one. I was afraid to go to much. Plus I wish that I had more pics of the blanket. This is the only one which don't get me wrong, I am thankful I even have this to go by, definitely better than nothing...lol

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris… I think the colors are pretty close to the reference, but perhaps the scaling of the medical tapes weaving, don't match the original.
All in all the your skills and patience are amazing. Keep up the great work.

Ray... Thank you.

Manfred... Thank you. I think the colors are much closer and better now. You wouldn't happen to know where you can get a tighter weave of medical tape do you by chance?

Bob... Thank you. Bob which mix you talking about?? the last shot is showing all the mixes on the 3x5 cards... lol. I am ready to call the blanket good and get this thing assembled so I can move on to the next part of this build...lol

Paul... Thank you for chiming in. I knew that you would know considering you work worked at Lenco. I really wish that TDR had the CS1 case so they can be used on older builds like these. Its crazy how different coatings can change the look of materials.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Doing exact replicas of race cars is always difficult. They constantly change. Also even if you could take a ton of pictures of the current version you still would have to make small comprises due to limitations in materials. All that can be done is your best on each part and be happy and you have done that. Looking forward to seeing more.

Mr. Sobak,

I would agree with others that Mix 2 is the closest color match to the picture of the actual car. As several have pointed out, getting an EXACT match is going to be almost impossible, as duplicating real fabric materials is shooting at a moving target. The materials change due to time, heat, wear, etc., and the colors can be misleading due to lighting, angle etc. Get as close a match as possible and just go with it. I know you are striving for as near exact detail as you can, and your attention to detail is somewhere WAY beyond amazing, but when it comes to fabrics, duplicating colors exactly just may drive you crazy.

Steve

Dave... thank you for your input.

Bob... you are so correct about that. Race cars change race to race. I am gonna go with what I got and cal it good...lol

Steve... thank you for your input and you are right that I am trying to shoot for a moving target that I will never be able to hit. I will go with what I have got and call it good. I was able to get the straps painted and weathered last night. tonight I hope to get the main body of the blanket painted. I am just gonna go with what I got and call it good at this point.

You know it would have been cheaper and less time consuming to just build the real car... Right ? LOL

It's really looking good. Something to really be proud of.

Question: What is the material you are using for the blanket ?

I skimmed through the posts but couldn't see mention of it.

... You wouldn't happen to know where you can get a tighter weave of medical tape do you by chance?

Hi Chris,

my idea was to give that micofibre cloth, which is used for lens cleaning, a try. Glued onto some thicker material it may do the trick.

Steve... I think you are right that it would if been much easier to build a 1:1 replica and probably leas of a headache...lol. As for the material for the blankets I use both Johnson and Johnson medical tape and 3M medical tape. I will post pics of both of them when I get home from work.

Kevin... thank you on your input on the colors. I think I got the outer bands are as close as I am gonna get them and will call them good.

Mike... thank you

Art... thanks Brother. I have to get as much as I can get done in the next month for you guys to see at the desert scale classic.

Scott... I apologize that I missed your comment on this. Thank you for your input.

Manfred... I apologize as well that I missed your comment. I never thought about that with a microfiber cloth for cleaning lens. That may work too.

Brad... I Had no clue there was a swapmeet this saturday... hmm maybe I will have to run up there for a few and I can bring this build to show you.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, from what I'm looking at here on my end. I see two different colors. I see the main color is a blue, the 2nd color seems to be a very light white tan. The blue color looks like a sky blue mix with a half drop of darker blue. The 2nd color which is the light color. Looks like an ivory color or a white mix with maybe half drop of ivory. Or maybe white with a very tiny half of a half drop of blue. As that light color is very very light from what I can see here.