Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Hi Chris, I thought you had the blower and scoop done.  The renderings are super but I'm not clear as to why you chose to re-do them.  I'm not faulting or questioning your decision at all, I remade the intake on the Henry and was curious as to what prompted you to remake them.  cheers, tim

That is some exquisite rendering Chris. I'm also curious as to why you feel the need to redo the blower, pullies and hat.

Yeah, man, what's the deal? I want to see you finish this thing someday! :rolleyes:

The drawings are sweet, though. Very nice work, Chris. You're gifted...

Yeah, man, what's the deal? I want to see you finish this thing someday! :rolleyes:

The drawings are sweet, though. Very nice work, Chris. You're gifted...

Poor guy has been busy doing stuff for me.......sorry Chris......now you can get back to your owns stuff........but,your a great friend for all that you do for me  and my builds.......I could`nt do it with out you......thanks Brother

Hello All... I first want to address the reason for the redesign of the blower and injector hat. Then I will respond to each of you.

First I wanted to say that when I originally designed these parts I had all of the bolt holes drawn up to .016" and there were a few spots where the holes didn't print. Because I didn't know the limits of how small I could go with the holes. So my fix for this was to open up all of the holes to .020". My intention was to have them printed smaller and then open them up with my pin vise and drill bits. 

Second..... I drew these up on my work laptop which has a newer version of Solidworks on it. Well I wanted to be able to open these files on my version at home and since it's an older version, it won't open up newer versions. So I decided to redraw them on the version I have. Also I want these parts to print correctly prior to making these available  on shapeways.  I am working on some other parts at the moment so I can have them printed at the same time. 

Edited by Mooneyzs

Mike.... Thank you! You are right this thing won't build its self. Wish it would... Lol

John... Thanks brother!.

Dave.... Me too... Real soo they will be parts I am working on some other items at the moment.

Tim... As I mentioned before I wanted to update them so they would print correct and I need to reprint an injector hat because the one I have is missing some holes. I really want the parts correct where I am happy with them

Clayton.... Thank you. It feels good to be back at this one.

Brad... Thank you. I also redid the blower pulleys because my 3D models did not match the actual parts.

Art.... thanks brother... You do no know how bad I want to finish this build. And see it completed because I have some other cool builds I want to start.

John.... No need to be sorry. I have been happy to help you out.

Danno.... I was planning on going to Good guys but ended going to visit my parents. I would love to be where your pic is and wish I could blame a woman but I can't....lol

Edited by Mooneyzs

Brad.... You are welcome. I will actually be getting some bench time on Sunday. I am actually at my parents  visiting for Thanksgiving. I can't wait to get some bench time and get the rest of the part designed for this build.

Scott... Thanks brother. I have some pretty cool things coming up to do for this build. I can' wait.

Ok Fellas... Its about time that I get an update on this bad boy. Well this past weekend I did some work on the back window to get the window that I had machined at work to fit in its proper place. Feels good to get past this hurdle now. Anyway I had to sand the edges down on the brass window to get it to fit the way I wanted but I intentionally designed it a tad on the bigger side. Well I ended up having to sand off about .025" from the sides and not quite as much on the top and bottom... maybe .010" to .015". so once I got it to fit then I had to add material to the original lip to get it to sit at the correct height. I added a piece of .020" thick Evergreen Styrene for the lip. Once the lip was added, I added some Evercoat 2 part body filler and then transfer drilled the mounting holes into the new flange. After that it was time to Transfer drill the holes into the brass window. Did that and put the rivets in to see how it looked. I am happy with it now and can move on to fixing the body tin. Here are pics of the progress....

So here is where I started by adding small strips of .020" thick Evergreen styrene to build the lip up. I glued the pieces in with Zap-a-Gap CA glue:

Here is more pieces added to the lip so you can see how it was built:

Here is is once I had all of the pieces in prior to sanding or adding the mounting holes:

Here I have sanded the lip down and now its ready for the holes to be drilled:

Here is the pics of the holes drilled into the flange. sorry that its a little blurry:

Adding more pics in next post

So here is the fit up of the window into its home to see how it fits, I was pretty happy at this point:

After transfer drilling the holes into the back window this is what it looks like:

Here it is in the body with the rivets installed:

Straight on shot:

Here is what it looks like on the inside: