Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Scott H... Thank you, I appreciate the kinds words. I am getting a little bit of the desire to work on this again.

Brad... Thank you very much. Felt good to get back to the bench but Not sure when I will get back to it again since I have some other things I need to take care of first. I have some house chores and a few things I need work on my real car.

Edgar... Thank you very much for the Nice words. I am glad it gives you some inspiration to get to the bench.

Bob... Thank you very much.

John... Thanks man, I appreciate it. You know how bad I want this build done so I can move onto other projects I have planned.

Manfred... Thank you very much for the Kind words, I appreciate it.

Art... Thanks, I know I need to get past a couple Items on this build to get me going again.

Danno... Thank you... Just maybe I will have something in store for you Next Year... :lol:

Ray... I hope so, my fingers are crossed for no more hiccups on this one.

Tim... Thanks my friend. I try to describe the best I can in case anyone can take something away from it. I know we all have our own build styles and It's neat to learn from others on here.

Dave... Thank you, I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

While I have been struggling with having motivation to build anything lately, I decided to spend some time drawing up a couple more FED chassis. I worked on a a SPE (Speed Products Engineering) 188" wheelbase Chassis and what I believe to be a Jim Davis 178" Wheelbase Chassis. Here is what they look like:

SPE Chassis is the semi orange chassis and the Jim Davis is the Cyan colored one, Isometric view:

FEDChassis1-vi.jpg

Here are is a side view of the chassis:

FEDChassis2-vi.jpg

And for Giggles I decided to add the 144" Woody Gilmore Chassis I drew up a while back next to them to compare all of them

FEDChassis3-vi.jpg

FEDChassis4-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

"Cyan"....."isometric view"..............what is the world coming to?    Just kidding you Chris.  It is nice to see you working on something that you have a real desire to do.  Whichever you pick, will it be 1/16th scale and will you do the chassis in brass?   You should start a separate thread for this future build as this one will surely deserve it's own spot on the forum.  cheers

Brad.... thank you. It's been a little bit of a change of pace, But I really need to get this darn funny car finish or I will never build anything else.... lol. I was debating if I should make these chassis avaliable on Shapeways or not. The bad news is that the two new chassis I drew up can only be printed in the white strong and flexible material due to the size exceeding  the Frosted Ultra Detail bounding box for maximum print size. Plus I am not sure what the quality or how much work it would take to clean the chassis up or how many people would be willing to go thru all that. Or the alternative people complaining about spending the money and having to do a lot of work to prep it.

Tim... thanks my friend.... not sure what the world is coming too ??.  Your know that these dragster chassis's will be done in 1/16th scale and my plan is to make them from Brass. The motivation for one of these was from some pictures my mom found in another photo album of the dragster team I grew up  around as a kid.  When I was in California a few weeks back my mom showed the pics to me. This dragster is what they ran before I was born prior to their rear engine dragster that I remember as a kid. So as of now my 144"  392 Injected FED project will be pushed back due to this new FED which has more meaning to me. Oh trust me this dragster will have its own thread when I do actually start it. There is a bunch of up front design work that needs to be done before I can start it.

Tom... Thank You, I  use Solidworks to draw all of my CAD models

Edited by Mooneyzs

• 2 weeks later...

So in the Midst of drawing the Chassis's up. I also decided to draw up another blower just to try and get Juices flowing again. Here is a Hampton 9 Rib blower:

2v2utAfyixAhe9C.jpg

2v2utAf5DxAhe9C.jpg

2v2utAfrmxAhe9C.jpg

I got some goodies that came in the mail today which I ordered a few weeks ago, This here is going to be for a future build that I am currently planning and going to hopefully be doing soon:

2v2utAAv4xAhe9C.jpg

2v2utAA9TxAhe9C.jpg

Well Fellas... I finally decided to sit down at the bench and made a little progress tonight. I worked on the starter bracket that attaches to the blower. I drew it up in my CAD program, had it 3D printed and then painted it with Alclad. I had to make some extension tubes which I made from some Ablion Alloys Nickle Silver tube and installed hardware on it. Everything was installed and glued in place. Felt good to be able to cross one of many items left to complete this build. Here are a couple of pics, they aren't the best pics but was rushing to take them.....

Here is the Stater Engagement Bracket installed onto the blower:

2v2utCggyxAhe9C.jpg

Front View:

2v2utCgW5xAhe9C.jpg

Side View:

2v2utCgFnxAhe9C.jpg

Top View:

2v2utCgLdxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Ok great to see you getting the juices flowing

So when are you going to get out of the garage and start working on scale models again??

Those pics are a real engine, you cannot fool me.... well maybe YOU canB)

Love the 3D printed stuff, do you make that or order it form somewhere?

Edited by Twokidsnosleep