Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Tim.... thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words. I think you nailed it by saying that when your are in a build that is taking multiple years, for my case 7 years now.... It starts to take a mental toll on you and you dont realize that. I think a part of me is just mentally worse out on this build. At times it's not fun anymore and seems more like work than fun. Don't get me wrong this has been a fun build to really push my limits and abilities to see if I can do it for myself and not anyone else. Seeing my results now that build is so close to being done all of the hard work and rework has been worth it. I have learned so much that the next drag build I do I dont think I should have as many issues as I did with this one and I should be able to build it a lot quicker too.

I have learned a lot from many of the other members here and that inspires me to be a better builder.

Bill... I will check it.

Dave.. thank you very much.

Guys.. I just wanted to say be Patient with me the rest of this week. I have 4 days left before our Desert scale classics show that I am they to make. So you may not see me post much just because I have to dedicate every hour I am not at work on this to finish it. Thanks for continue to follow along on this long journey with me.

Chris, this is fantastic!  Just keep plugging away at it, you’ll get there.  I have to be the one to ask, how in the world do you work with something so small?  My eyesight, fingers and patience just arn’t What they used to be.  I use a magnifier, but it’s still okay at best.  Keep it up, you inspire us all.

Chris... thank you, I am giving it a fight that is for sure.

Bob... thanks...I know I shouldn't be worried about the deadline but it is something I am trying to make. Trying to take each item 1 by 1.

Tim... thank you so much for the kind words. To answer your question I am pretty much using my optivisor along with some readers under the optivisor to see most of the really small details. My eyes are no where near what they used to be that's for sure. I may need to start building 1/8th scale builds...:lol:

Well guys... little update, sad to say no pics but I am chipping away at my to do list. Still wonder will I finish it in time for the show or not.  I guess we just wait and see.

Having been following this build with awe, I hope you managed to get it done sir. This has been one of the most anticipated builds on this forum. No amount of words can express how unbelievably happy for you everyone here will be to see the completed pics.

If you did complete it and are headed to the DSC good luck, not like you'll need it. This build sets a new bar in 1/16 scale.

Ken.... I did get it done... well 95% of it was done but I called it compleye to enter it into the show. I appreciate the kind words and for following along on this build.

Bob... Thank you. as stated above, I did finish it enough to enter it but there are a few minor things I need to fix a d finish

Chris... yes i have been, it's taken me the past 2 nights to get my workbench all cleaned up. Now I can get back at.

Well fellas... as mentioned I did complete the build enough for the show, although it is not 100% done.  There are about a dozen things to do to the build to call it compleye and then another 8 to 10 items for display purposes.  . He body prop and my body cart. My plan is to take some pics tonight when I get home from work and post. Then it's back to the bench to start on the final items to complete this build.

I have followed this epic with profound awe since the beginning, mostly as a silent observer, occasionally commenting, but mostly just enjoying the achievement and also relating to the bumps in the long road to the destination. As a fellow modeller it has been a total pleasure to witness and a true learning experience, a lot of which I can apply to my own modeling. No superlatives can be added that have not already been said. Congrats Chris on the completion of an amazing journey. Enjoyed every minute of it. Look forward to your next project.

Ray..... Thank you for the Kind words. I was nice to finally call something done and enter it into the show. Although it's not completed by any means and still has some work that needs to be done a few things that need to be fixed on it.

Bob... Yes it was in the Competition Even though it was only 95% complete in my book. There are some small minor details that I need to finish up on. It took 2nd place in Large scale and it came home with the Best Engine award as well.

Steve... Thank you. I have some pics that I have taken of the car this evening that I am going to post since I really didn't post much when I was putting in some long hours the week or 2 before the show.

Lee... Thank you for following along on this long journey of mine with this build. I am super excited to just about have this 100% completed so I can start some fun builds. I am going to probably start out with a basic out of the box build but I do have another 1/16th scale Drag Build that planning has been in the works which I am super excited to build.

Art... Thank you Brother, It was so great to see you this past weekend and get to hang out. Although I wish I could of hung out with everyone on the Friday night gathering but as you know I was crunching away on the model until 1 am hoping I was going to make the show....lol

Ok Fellas as promised I was able to get some time at the bench to take some pics of what all I have accomplished on this build since my last update and then my time crunch on getting it to where it was show ready even though it wasn't 100% complete. So as of this point I currently have 2,175 Hours into this build. Yes I was crazy enough to track it as best as I can and honestly this probably doesn't even count the time I had in designing all of the 3D components that I did for this build. Anyway hope you enjoy these pics and this weekend I am going to start chipping away at my final to do list to get this thing 100% completed.

2v2J7o22hxAhe9C.jpg

2v2J7o23CxAhe9C.jpg

2v2J7o2QgxAhe9C.jpg

2v2J7o2UgxAhe9C.jpg

2v2J7o2uGxAhe9C.jpg