Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Mike... Thank you so much for the kind words and for your son following along on this long Journey. Hopefully I will be able to check a few items off my final to do list this week and get her close to being 100% complete.

Mike F... Thank you very much!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that looks fantastic even though it's not completely done! I'm not surprised at all that it took home the Best Engine award, as I couldn't imagine how one could build a better looking mill than that one. Very nice work.

Following this thread from the start, it makes me feel like I'd like to build something with a bit similar idea. Which means that I'd like to try my hand at building a model with the idea of "every part is a model itself". And I have a couple of Trumpeter '63 Novas on my stash, they would make a perfect starting point for that kind of build, probably factory stock. Who knows, maybe some day?

Anyway, congrats on making it to the show, and I can't wait to see when all of the last details are finished on it. Great work.

Being an open forum I've always just been a looker and never bothered signing up. I joined so I could congratulate you Chris. Ive followed your build on and off for maybe 5 years being a big 1.16 fan. Your model and your level of commitment to it is beyond words. Great work man!

I recently found the double kit after years of trying to find one at a realistic price so yours gives me great inspiration to build it. 

Jim

Paul.... Thanks Brother!!

Nikko... Yhank you very much my friend. It's been a long ride and so nice to have it almost done. I honestly can't wait to call it complete so I can start my next 1/16th build. I would like to approach the build with the sub assemblies and their own little models a little better on the next one bit its a good way to approach I think. Would be awesome for you to start those Novas, can't wait to see them.

Jim... Thank you so much for the kind words and for joining the forum just to say congrats. It's no surprise that I am a huge 1/16th scale fan and just some how have fallen in love with the scale. I can't wait to share my next build with everyone but have other things I need to finish first.

Well fellas I know that I need to get back to the bench to get this one completed. Going to be trying to get some work done soon on it. Inhave had a lot going in at home with my Dog and he has been more of my priority right now. But hopefully soon I will have some more to share on this build. Thanks all for being patient with me.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

See, I knew you could get this done without me hovering over your shoulder all the time. ;)

I have no words mate, only reason you're seeing this is because I still have limited use of a couple o fingers......can barely type anyway, hard to make out the keys with all this dribble covering them.

SUPER! Unbelievably ultra realistic build man. :wub:

On 4/27/2018 at 11:23 AM, gascansam said:

Chris.....what can I say that hasn't already been said?.....a truly gorgeous model that I have followed you building through the years.  I believe you have given me the impetus to complete my version of this great kit.  It was involved in a nasty wreck with a house cat years ago, and now it will be converted to run the Nostalgia Circuit campaigning as the Blood Assurance "Vein Vega" .....if it comes out looking a tenth as good as yours, I will be ecstatic!.....thanks again for your outstanding tutorials and am eagerly awaiting to see your next projects.........Chris 

1150280135025217.jpg

WHATS UP WITH THOSE TINY FULL STACKS?

Greg!!!!... Thank you Mate!!  I appreciate the kind comments. Its great to see you still coming around here. Have you been working on any builds lately?? Maybe I have missed your threads if you have one going on?? I am almost done with this one then I can start on the next 1/16th scale build ;) Hope all is well my friend, Cheers!

Now what's a guy to say about this build that hasn't already been said?? I haven't been on this forum all that long (4-1/2 years) and this was going on when I got here. I've been popping in and out on this build and all I've seen here is pure and non stop masterful work. Mister................you really know how to build a model car. I don't know if there are words strong enough to describe what I see here. Way to go Chris................way to go!!

Thanks, Brad.....the figures are McFarlane from about 15-20 years ago.  I found the Slash one with Marshall stack at a yard sale for a buck, and when I saw on eBay what they went for I was hooked. There are more pictures and special guests on the Diorama section put there last year....it's been a fun diversion from other modeling and like everything I have, it will always be a work in progress!....some equipment is stuff I have found at work, guitars are miniature keychains, etc.,....big fan of your work also.....what's up with you guys in the desert, anyways?!......rock on

1369436766442885.jpg

On 5/22/2018 at 7:57 AM, mustang1989 said:

Now what's a guy to say about this build that hasn't already been said?? I haven't been on this forum all that long (4-1/2 years) and this was going on when I got here. I've been popping in and out on this build and all I've seen here is pure and non stop masterful work. Mister................you really know how to build a model car. I don't know if there are words strong enough to describe what I see here. Way to go Chris................way to go!!

Joe.... Thank you very much, I really appreciate the kind words. I am hoping to possibly get a few of the last items checked off my list this weekend. well one goal is to get the hose clamps assembled and put on to the oil blow off lines from the valve covers to chassis. I would really like to get this one completed here soon.

• 1 month later...

Well Fellas I know its been a while since I have had an update on this project. Every since our Desert Scale Classic show here back in April, I haven't been able to get motivation to start chipping away at my final to do list. This past weekend I decided to knock the dust of this one and start checking Items off my to do list. I can officially say that I am in the Single Digits of what"s left to complete this and call it done. I am actually excited to just about have this done so I can move onto my next project. Anyway here are a few pics of what I have completed and it actually felt pretty good to get back to this.

I started by getting the brass rivet heads painted black to match the spoiler:

2v2JhS1C5xAhe9C.jpg

I then decided to put the Wynn's decals on the side of the injector hat, I am still thinking about running a thin wash around the edge of the decal to dry and help the way the edge looks:

2v2JhS1LNxAhe9C.jpg

Next up on the to do list was to get the hose clamps onto the oil blow off lines coming off the valve covers:

(left side):

2v2JhS14GxAhe9C.jpg

2v2JhS1mnxAhe9C.jpg

Now here is the right side:

2v2JhS1TqxAhe9C.jpg

2v2JhS1VdxAhe9C.jpg