Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Loving the fabrication work on the front and rear Chris. B)

The spindles/hardware up front adds immensely to the realism, and the diff work is fabulous. :lol:

Keep it up mate. ;)

Thanks Greg.... I have been really enjoying this build and so glad I decided to add all of the extra hardware and change things around to make it look as correct as possible. Cheers :)

I hope to see you there Chris :lol:

Thanks Romell... I am 95% sure that I will be there that weekend. Been wanting to make it back up for that show for the past few years and this next year I am just gonna make it happen... :) Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your builds. I am pretty sure that I will have this build complete before the end of the year maybe sooner, Keeping fingers crossed B) .

This is going to be stunning when finished.

Thank you Kane... appreciate the kind words, can't wait to have it completed... Cheers!

Hey Brad i havent done much since I last posted pics. I was able to work o it for about an hour yesterday and did a little more to the front axle. Hoping to get to work on it for a little bit tonight as well. I should have the fabrication of the steering arms done for the spindels tonight then all that i need to do is put some bondo on the front axle and get it ready for primer. Will hopefully have some pics up later tonight.

Glad to hear you're getting some build time in. Looks like I'm just ahead of you as my frame just got painted a few minutes ago. I got in a few hours this morning and set up the disk brakes and re-enforced the rear end as you did. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll be anticipating those pix tonight. Did you ever source some printing plate?

Edited by gasser59

Brad... Sorry I don't have pics for you yet. I wasn't able to work on it last night but hoping to maybe tonight. As far as the printing plate I haven't been able to locate any yet. Tonight I am hoping to add those two braces that you suggested on the tabs for the rear end and finish up the front axle steering arms and see what else I can start on...lol

Thank you Shane. This had been a fun build so far and I have put alot of though into what I have wanted to do to the kit detail wise. I have also done a lot of research finding pics and figuring out what resin and aftermarket parts i want to use as well as all the nuts and bolts. I have a binder that I keep alot of this information in as well as a excel spread sheet with information.

Looks like I will be getting to spend a little time on this build tonight. So i should have some updated pics later tonight for real this time :blink:

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it. Feel free to save any of the pics i have posted to keep as reference for you to use down the road.

As for an update.... I was able to do a little more work on the front end last night. I got my steering arms for the front spindles completed. Now i just need to glue them to the spindles. I also had to redo my steering tie rod because I wasnt happy with it. Took a few pics but didnt have time to upload them last night. Hoping to maybe get a little more build time in tonight and get the pics uploaded.

Alright everyone, I was able to get a few hours in the past few nights and finally had time to upload some pics. I feel I made some good progress on the Front Axle, Spindle and Little more to the rear end. even though it doesn't seem like much but was glad to just about have the front axle ready for primer. I still need to lay bondo on it and sand but the fab work is just about there. Thanks for looking and here are the pics.....

Here is the Front Axle with new sleeves that I put in for the spindles so that they didn't feel so sloppy, you can see the the white tubing that I added and then drilled out to fit the correct Scale Hardware Bolt that I was using:

DPArmyVega3611-vi.jpg

Here is the Front Axle with the Spindles:

DPArmyVega3661-vi.jpg

Here is have the Front Axle along with the Steering Tie Rod. I had fabricated the Spindle steering links from evergreen flat stock. The Spindles Axle lengths were cut down to fit the Micro Nitro turned Aluminum rims that will be going on them. I also decided to fabricate a new tie rod which was made out of 1/16" Tubing, cut to length and then drilled out the ends to fit the tie rod ends. I was unhappy with the last one I made due to the fact that the RB Motion Rod End links were level on the of them got turned when I was gluing them so it didn't look right to me:

DPArmyVega3671-vi.jpg

Mocked up the front end to get it ready to glue the Steering links to the Spindle:

DPArmyVega3731-vi.jpg

Right Side Spindle & Steering Link:

DPArmyVega3751-vi.jpg

Left Side Spindle & Steering Link:

DPArmyVega3781-vi.jpg

Here is the Spindles & Steering links after they have been glued:

DPArmyVega3841-vi.jpg

Here is the Rear end with some extra support. Took Gasser59's (Thanks Brad B) ) suggestion and thought it would look much better with the added support:

DPArmyVega3811-vi.jpg

Bottom Side support, I still need to sand it just a little before I lay some more primer on it:

DPArmyVega3821-vi.jpg

Top Side Support, same thing needs minor sanding:

DPArmyVega3831-vi.jpg

Thanks again for Looking.....

Edited by Mooneyzs

Looking really good Chris. I know it will be my benchmark and I hope to pick up a 1/16" scale funny car kit tomorrow morning at the local plastic model flea market. Since I'm already doing a Fiat, maybe a bantam will be next.

Looking forward to more updates. More, more, more....

Richard... Thanks man. This is going to be the most involved and most money i have put into a build out of my collection so far lol.

Brett and Brad.... The pressure is on me now if this build is going to be the bench mark for 1/16th scale funnies :). I also hope this build will help others. I know I have learned alot from others on here and want to share my builds and if they can help someone out thats great.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris,I for one do know that I'll be using ideas & such from this build when I get around to putting together a couple of my 1/16ths. I have 2 'Cuda bodies (from Greg Fox), ideas for them:Larry Arnolds 71 or 72 "Kingfish" & the Late Mike "the Worlds Fastest Hippie" Mitchells "Hippie" 72 'Cuda, will start work on one of these after I finish my P/M's (which means around 2025! :D:D:lol: )