Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

It's a detail that I haven't seen on many builds and I wanted to add that little extra touch to it.

That is just KILLAwesome, Chris!   

Now, don't forget to put an engine in this thing before you're done with all these little extra touchs!   :lol:

Chris, this is just an awesome build!  I'm using your build as an inspiration for my Shottgun Express dual engine AA/GD that I'm working on.  Haven't figured out pictures yet but soon will.  Question, with the knob for the fire bottle installed, will the butterfly wheel clear it?

Mike... Thank you very much.

Danno... Thanks... Oh wait there is supposed to be an engine in this thing?? 

Tim... Thank you very much. You definitely need to post pics of this Dual Engine AA/GD for sure. I would love to see it. To answer your question they knob on the fire bottle installed will clear the butterfly steering wheel. Right now in the pic that you see the fire bottle is not sitting in the correct position. I just mocked it up real quick for pictures. It will actually sit lower than in my pics. Here is a pic of how it sits the real car:

I keep on reading this post and keep on being amazed. As I've said before, this is a textbook. Not a W.I.P. 

Looking at the distributor I just couldn't understand what you were doing with it......mercy it looks good finished. How were you able to cut all the brass to the same length? Also, were the boots 3-d printed? 

Mike... Thank you very much. I have enjoyed sharing this build the way I have been by showing every step of it. Yeah on the distributor I had this idea in my head which probably didn't make sense at first when you saw what I was doing but with this next update I think it will help even more. As far as cutting the brass I took my calipers and set it at .100", I took my brass tube marked it with a Sharpie, then I take the capers and basically scribe a line into the sharpie ink. Then from there I take my exacto knife and line it up on my scribe line and roll the brass tube back and forth to cut the brass. The boots on the distributor are actually RB Motion 1/16th Spark Plug boots. It has crossed my mind to draw up some spark plug boots just to see how they would print.

Tim... Thank you very much. The more ticks I can punch off on this to do list the sooner I can get it done... :lol:. I have to say that I am super excited and hopefully will be able to sand the steering wheel tomorrow so that it will be ready for some black paint because I can't wait to see how the contrast of the wood grips and the black look. Cheers!

Scott... Thank you. That was the first time I had though to use my pin vise as a holding device while soldering a part. It seemed to work pretty good for what I was doing. Oh that's not good about the torch flame. Good thing I was using a soldering iron. I am sure we all have done silly mistakes. I know I have that's for sure :lol:

Good Morning Fellas.... well I tried to post this last night but was having issues being able to get onto model cars last night. it seemed that the site was down for some reason so I gave up trying to post last night. But I got  a little more done last night. I decided get some more work done on the distributor cap. Did some sanding some priming.... little more sanding and then got it primed again and I think I am not happy with it and it is ready for some color. Here are a few pics of it....

Here is the Distributor cap after a few coats of primer:

Here is the distributor mocked up with the cap and boots put into place:

And here are two shot of the distributor on the engine:

Dang Chaptain America AKA "Chris Sobak"......I take a few weeks off......and missed some AWESOME stuff going on around here on this thread......looking good Captain......I wont be able to sleep tonight knowing that your back on this build......I will be having Army F/C on the brain:D

Batman

Batman... Thanks Brother!!! I appreciate the Kind Words. You need not let your minions take so much time off..... although Kevin did do some great work for me but got lazy after I ran out of Corona :lol::lol:. Just wait until my next update.... I have something in store that I think will be pretty cool when it's done. I have a few details to work on it but I can't wait to bring them together because I think I will pretty good all together. So Stay tuned....B)

Hakan... Thank you.

Art... Thanks brother. I am actually excited with the one part I am currently working on. I had to re-prep it last night but should be ready to work on when I get home today. But there are a few more details that I want to get done before I show it here. Well I guess I am probably more anxious to see this part assembled.

Hey Brad.... thanks for sticking with me for what seems like a long journey that will never end. It just seems lately every time  I take a step or two forward that I end up taking 4 or 5 backwards. This build is defeating me at the moment. Hoping to get to respray things tonight or tomorrow.