Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Dave... I belive that is what this stuff does. you may be right that there may be something else in the brass that is making it react like that. I didnt even think aboit that. I guess I was expecting better results with it. I may just need to learn how to use the stuff lol

Bob...

I just had sanded them and then wiped them with a blue paper towel. I will try your method of cleaning with lacquer thinner. I didn't even think of that...lol Thanks for the advice Bob, I appreciate it. will be back shortly to let you know how it worked.

Ok....so I went back and did another test as Recommended by Bob and cleaned the brass with Lacquer thinner and so far so good with the results. I am still keeping my eye on it in case it does something funny again but here is what it looks like so far. I have it pictured up against the bad ones:

2v2uJykTsxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Guys.... well I made the plunge and blackened the front motor mounts and here is the results....

Here they are after using the Blacken-It on them:

2v2uJykVkxAhe9C.jpg

Here it is on the car mocked Up:

2v2uJykW7xAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Guys.... well I made the plunge and blackened the front motor mounts and here is the results....

Wow Chris did you ever have any worries that the blacken-it might not work LOL

Here they are after using the Blacken-It on them:

DP-Army-Vega2056-1.jpg

Here it is on the car mocked Up:

DP-Army-Vega2062-1.jpg

Hey Guys.... sorry I havent been on much lately. I have been out of town so I havent done much on this build but I have some bad news I took a look at my motor mounts when I got back and they did the same thing as my sample pieces. So I will be stripping the coating off and.painting them now. I am giving up on the blacken-it on these.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Blackenit.html

This article says to soak the parts in a 50/50 mix of warm water and vinegar first and then the Blacken It.

When I use a browning solution on steel muzzleloader parts, sometimes it starts out looking like your results. After the first coat I will "wash" the part with the browning solution and a rag and then put down another coat with a brush. After several coats it ends up with an even brown finish that I will wash with baking soda and water to neutralize the acid. Not sure if that would work with your brass parts.

Scott... thanks buddy

Dave... thanks for the article man. you have me wanting to try that method now. I may have to do a trial run on some sanes to see how it does.

well i have been slacking on this build guys. I have started to make another mid-plate and hoping to possibly finish it tonight. then for a change of pace i think I am gonna jump back to the rear end and start making my caliper mounting bracket for the rear brakes. I need a change of pace to get me back on buildibg like crazy on this build. hopefully i will get to show some pics later.

Well guys I was able to finish the mid-plate with just the finishing touches on it. I did get pics taken. but am a little tired to edit them. Hopefully I may get a few extra minutes before work to poat them. if not I will after work.

Alright Fellas... Here are some pics of my progress on the mid plate and the front motor mount brackets that went bad.

Here is the front motor brackets after about 4 or 5 days of treating them with the Blacken-it:

2v2uJykdixAhe9C.jpg

Here hey are after I sanded the surface treatment off and now they are ready for paint:

2v2uJyk5txAhe9C.jpg

Here is the start of the mid plate. I had traces the lines of the outter border then over laid my existing mid-plate to transfer drill all of the holes:

2v2uJykNYxAhe9C.jpg

Here the plate is cut and drilled:

2v2uJyk8sxAhe9C.jpg

Now Adding the side pieces:

2v2uJykMPxAhe9C.jpg

Now the Top:

2v2uJykzkxAhe9C.jpg

Here I added the finishing touch with the top edge piece:

2v2uJyioixAhe9C.jpg

Here is a better angle at seeing the edge:

2v2uJyi2DxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey guys thanks for the props on the midplate. I forgot to mention that the reason I made a new one was I didnt make the first one tall enough. there is an oil pressure guage that is mounted on the midplate just above the clutch housing in one of the corners of the midplate. I will be making this oil pressure guage as well. thanks for looking

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks Scott... I appreciate it. I promise I will be back on this build and building like crazy again here shortly. also I am going to try abd get more of those harness's drawn up for you this weekend. Thanks for beibg patient with me ob tbem and the photos of the belts