Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Mike & Bob... you guus just want me to hack it up again... lol hopefully you kno I am kidding oh what to do... lmao. I will have to admit that I am burning myaelf out on this build since it feel like Ibam tsking forever on little pieces but I will have to make it right.

Dave... thank you so.much for the kind words, your words have added some motivstion to the tank to keep me going on this build.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris long term projects can test your patience. It takes a lot to do a project that is a replica, you have to match something rather than saying that is what I intended to do. You will finish.

maybe you need to do a quick out of the box build to allow you to get something done quickly. Just make sure it stays an out of the box build.

Bob.... I know exactly what you mean. How long term projects can test ones patience for sure. I have been considering starting another build but I really want to keep focus on this one because I would like to finish it this year if possible althought I have a long way to go. Althought I have a couple other builds I started that I may to a little work on here and there for a change of pace.

I do have a piece of good news and that is I got word from shapeways that they finally completed my order. I guess they had some troubles printing one part. But I should be getting the parts sometime this week. I can't wait to see how they printed.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Well fellas... just wanted to let you know that I should have a little suprise to show later today. Althought I havent had any bench time since last week. I have been fighting a cold since thursday whixh had laid me up for a few days. I think I should be receiving a few items I have been waiting for.

Chris,

I have been following along and haven't commented in a while. Looking fantastic!!!!! I'm a very patent person but man oh man. When you do your sanding and prep work on the huffer do you speak in tongues, see mirages of unicorns and twitch :wacko: Perfection by very skilled hands and mind (well maybe not the mind!!! lol) I enjoy and look forward to each post. Keep them coming Chris! I wish you continued success on the build!,

Jimmy "RASS"

Ok Fellas... As mentioned earlier. I have some stuff to share. I got a delivery today that I have been waiting for. Yes that is right my Shapeways order finally arrived. All I really did tonight was pull the parts out, look at them and they now need to get a nice warm wash in some liquid Dawn...lol. I am going to get them cleaned up and I will shoot some primer with out any prep to the parts to show you how they look. I won't keep you waiting any long here are some pics....

Here is the group of parts that I had drawn up in SolidWorks and sent to shapeways to print for me:

DP-Army-Vega5871-1_zpsdfafa6cc.jpg

Here are the oil breathers. The one ons on the left (white ones) are the white & strong and flexiable material and the ones on the right are the Frosted Ultra detail. By far the Frosted Ultra Detail are much nicer. I can slightly see the EP that I put on the side so now I am thinking of possibly modifying my model to increase the size so that detail will be more noticeable:

DP-Army-Vega5872-1_zps0cfe2da7.jpg

Another Angle of the Breathers:

DP-Army-Vega5872-1_zps0cfe2da7.jpg

Here are some parts to my fire supression system. The main parts I wanted printed was the brackets and with both brackets I had them printed in the two materials to see differences. and of course Frosted Ultra Detail won out again. I really should have done the main push button of the system in the FUD material as well. The bottle was just for test fitting as I want to have a Machined Fire bottle made. the valve body I should of had printed in the FUD material but I am still thinking of making it out of aluminum as well:

DP-Army-Vega5879-1_zps70078e67.jpg

Here is a close up shot of the Fire Bottle Brackets:

DP-Army-Vega5885-1_zps45bf9f8c.jpg

More pics coming....

I had decided a long time ago that I wanted to draw these up because I thought it would be a cool addition to have to display a car. Anyway I took one of my dads Jack Ramps and measured it the last time I was home. I drew it up and had some made. Here is the actual jack ramp:

JackStands-2_zps27754853.jpg

JackStands-3_zps2d2bff2c.jpg

JackStands-1_zpsa859969f.jpg

Here is how they turned out. like I did before I had them printed in both materials to see how they would turn out and the FUD is definitely better:

DP-Army-Vega5889-1_zps9163d560.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5893-1_zps65920096.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5895-1_zps7393543f.jpg

are you actually going to finish this? :P or just seeing how long you can string us along ??j/k awesome stuff as usual mate and I for one appreciate you showing us the difference in the printing materials, the car so far is looking as killer as ever, keep up the awesome work

I guess we'll need to invent new adjectives to describe your updates because I think everyone of them in the entire English language has been used at least twice. Or I suppose we could use a different language. Spectaculaire, maravilloso, espectacular, meraviglioso, ehrfürchtig, stupore, het fascineren and ispirazione.

Thanks for showing the two versions of the 3D printing. I still have a hard time getting my mind around this concept probably because there isn't much to stretch that far. :D

Danno... Thank you.

Brett... Thank you. LOL at stringing you guys along. You don't know how bad I want to finish this one up so I can start on some other cool builds i have in mind. You are welcome to show you guys the different materials. The Frosted Ultra Detail definitely is the cleanest and best detail although it does cost a little more.

Bob... Thank you. The other material that I think you are thinking of is the Frosted Detailed. I think I looked at that but the price was a little less than the frosted ultra detail. You are right that the white strong and flexible does have a lot of texture. They have many materials to choose from. You can even get Brass and other metals if you wanted. I am planning on washing the parts tonight and getting some primer on them to show you guys for comparision later when I get home so you can see how it looks after a coat or two of primer. The only thing I will be doing is washing the parts in warm water with some dawn to clean them. I won't sand or do anything to them until after I add primer. But will post some pics later this evening.

Brad... Thank you for the kind words. I enjoy showing you guys the process and the different materials so we all can learn more about the 3D printing. I know I am learning for sure.

Tim... Thank you so much. I can tell you this much, I have been thinking about this for some time now on how I wanted to display the car. I really got the idea from growing up around drag racing since I was a kid. My family used to be part of a pit crew for a Top Alcohol Dragster that my dad helped wrench on back in the mid 70's to mid 80's. It was so much fun to walk around the pits back in the day although I was very young but remember seeing cars on jack rams and jack stands. I just though it would be so cool to display it like that so all of the detail can be seen. My plan is to also have a mirror underneath so you can see under the car.

Joe... Thank you so much. I do need to finish up the body stand too. I think they will be cool additions to the display. I have always wanted to do a diorama and one of these days I will make some sort of shop set up. I promise I won't be working on this for a few more years. I am really wanting and hoping to get it done by the end or beginning of next year. I just need to bust some booty and make my self sit at the bench every night.

Jesse... Thank you. I am really stoked about those ramps on how they turned out. I was thinking of making them available on Shapeways.

If you guys are at all interested in the ramps I would be more than willing to make them available on shapeways. I just wanted to make sure they turned out ok before I released them at all. I know I have other parts I am going to be drawing up like a Hilborn fuel pump. Enderle "K" Style Barrel Valve...etc.. things I know I need for my builds. just like the oil breathers. I will make them available as well. Let me know what you guys think. Stay tuned and I will get some primer on these parts and show them to you later this evening. B)

Simon....thanks. would you prefer the breethers to be 1/24th or 1/25th? Guess i could make both available although I think I will leave the mounting holes off on these so it will print ok. The modeler will have to drill the holes if they want them. I will admit I am a little nervous releasing these in 1/24...1/25 without seeing them printed and havungvacsetvin my hands to look at before making them avaliable. I wonder if i shoukd have a set printed first to double check them. i just feek there may be a risk onthe first set is all.

Chris,

I am blown away at how gorgeous that beast looks on the stands. I always look forward to your posts! You are making great progress! The Shapeways parts look great. I have some suspension pieces of theirs for Indy Cars. Just as a FYI when the parts are really small you have to be veeeeeeeeeeeery gentle with them. I am prepping them for some primer and they feel like they want to break, I haven't broken any yet (jix)

I'd be curious to see just a portion cleaned up of the ones that look like they have powered sugar on them.

Looking forward to the next post!

Jimmy "RASS"

Jimmy... Thank you very much. I think the Beast will look much better when it is completely done sitting on the stands...lol. I can tell you from previous use of their parts that the white strong and flexible material is much harder to sand than the Frosted Ultra Detail material. So far I am happy with the parts I drew up and printed. i Know there is some clean up and prep work but thats what this hobby is about.... Having fun...lol. I will clean up a one of the powered sugar ones to show you as well.

Ok Fellas... I washed the parts and put some primer on them and will show you guys the results. What you see here is nothing more than cleaning the parts twice with warm water and dawn soap, Scrubbing with a tool brush. Letting them dry and then spraying primer on them. Here we go....

Here are the Jack Ramps in the White Strong & Flexible material:

DP-Army-Vega5921-1_zpse5daa94f.jpg

Here is the Jack Ramps in the Frosted Ultra Detail:

DP-Army-Vega5925-1_zps2bf99b75.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5929-1_zps178bfda4.jpg

Here is a comparison of both materials, White, Strong & Flexible on the left.... Frosted Ultra detail on the right:

DP-Army-Vega5932-1_zpsbc026ca1.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5935-1_zps699383ee.jpg