Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Scott... that sounds awesome on those parts. Hey can you tell me again the CAD program you use i want to see if I can get that seat belt file to you in a format you can use and bring into your system. I will look it up on what formats it can import.

Hey Chris,

The software I use is TurboCad. I've already drawn up seatbelt hardware in 1/16th. Some of those should be in the .010 order. I forgot about belt hardware when I mentioned the PE stuff earlier. I drew up both lever latch style as well as the more current design (can't think what it's called). Hopefully they'll all work well as-is.

Scott... Hopefully those goodies came in the mail. I can't wait to see them ;)

Joe... Thanks buddy. It's much appreciated

Steve... thank you Sir. It was a pleasure yesterday getting to talk with you and I have to say you do some mighty fine work yourself. Your funny car builds were gorgeous.

Steve... Thank you for the kind works and I appreciate you following along with this build.

Danno... Thank you for the kind words and it was so great to see you at the show. You guys always make the show fun and it was such a great turn out.

Brad... Thank you my friend. What can I say but thank you to you and your wife for opening up your home for the BBQ after the show. It was a blast getting to hand out and Bench talk models. I had such a wonderful time between the show and the BBQ.

I will be uploading some pics in a few minutes since I have the car mocked up, I wanted to take some pics of it before I tear some it down to work on it. So stay tuned..... B)

Hey Fellas.... so ever since I made my last post. I was trying to post pics and then it seemed the forum went down for a while today. So I apologize on the delay for the pics but this is the first time I have been able to get back on. I have gotten pretty much all of the body supports done for the front end and I was also able to get the hood cut out so the blower would be able to stick thru and I had gotten the chassis mocked up for the desert scale classic yesterday. Since I had it mocked up I decided to shoot some pics of it and will share them with you but first I want to to show you a couple of pics that I had used for reference for the front body supports and how I had changed the contrast and brightness to try and see it the best I could. Then I will show the structure and some mock up pics...

Here are the two main pics that was used to help me figure out how I was going to do the front body supports:

Army-31copy-1_zpse0ef07e5.jpg

Army-32copy-1_zpsa968a452.jpg

Here is what I have for the front body supports after adding the additional bracing:

DP-Army-Vega2996-1_zps20e63aad.jpg

Here is an upclose shot of it right side up:

DP-Army-Vega2960-1_zps8b88d146.jpg

Here is a shot with the body up trying to show similar to one of the reference pics:

DP-Army-Vega2957-1_zpsd4d9c6c4.jpg

Now here is a mock up shot of just the chassis:

DP-Army-Vega3004-1_zps0972ee41.jpg

Here is a close up of the engine:

DP-Army-Vega2976-1_zps17c2e613.jpg

Rear View:

DP-Army-Vega2989_zpsb6edd468.jpg

Here is a pic of the car with the body on after getting the hole cut in the hood for the blower and injector hat to pass thru:

DP-Army-Vega2930-1_zps658be43b.jpg

Side View:

DP-Army-Vega2939-1_zpsbb871976.jpg

Front View:

DP-Army-Vega2946-1_zpscaffcb59.jpg

Art... thanks bud. Sure missed seeing you and hanging out with you at the Desert Scale Classic but heard you got to go to the Long Beach Grand Prix. I went to it back in 2005 or '06 and had a blast. My favoritea were the Daytona Prototypes.

Dave... thanks man. I am sure you got to see a bunch of great builds at the NNL East

Ron...thanks for the comments on the stance. Stances make or break my builds for me and I was hoping to get this one right. I will tell you this after I have bee. Doing this 1/16th scale build. I am hooked on them. You should do another one.

Tom.... thank you!

Rob... thanks a bunch man.

Brad .. thank you my friend. It was such a pleasure to get to hang out. And a big thank you to you and your wife for opening up your home for the BBQ afterwards. The food was great.

John...thanks my big brother for the kind words on this build.. It was an absolute blast to be able to hang out together this past weekend. I always love seeing your work in person. You have given me that inspiration and gonna challenge myself to get to the bench every night. Even if it is for 30 mins. I cant wait to complete this build.

Wow that looks excellent!!! I can't think of any possible ways to improve this build, so I guess it is really time to say that it is perfect! I have said this before, and I'm going to say it again: This is truly building every part like it would be a Model itself. And that's the way I like 'em! The little details like those spark plug boots, all nut and bolt ends on the engine and body supports, are really great to watch. And I think, that those little parts and minor details, are the thing that makes a model to stand out of the rest, even if many of the details are invisible when the build is completed, but it's nice to know that they are there.

There is a lot of fantastic scratchbuilding, and other modifications behind in this build, and still more to come. I can't wait to see more. At the same time, I want to see this one Finished, but then again, when this one is finished, what build(s) can I follow as closely as this one???

It's a shame I didn't make it to the Show. But it was just a bit too far away. :lol: I'd like to see these builds Live and meet other Modelers from different countries. Well maybe some day... :rolleyes: