Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Norman... Thank you. Yes they do print with a texture on them and in no way would you be able to get the same finish fresh off the print, like how styrene comes out of a mold. Those injection molds cost quite a bit for the model companies to make. This Frosted Ultra Detail material is and acrylic material and it sands very easy like styrene. You will see in my next updates where I will sand with some sanding sticks and sand paper to smooth them out. I have had a friend of mine print me a few parts from his Makerbot personal printer and the material sucked, It was PLA and wouldn't sand worth a darn. It was very hard material. I can't wait to have these bad boys ready for paint now.

Chris: Thanks for the education! That's mind-blowing conceptually, although it kinda takes the purist viewpoint out of a build, y/n?

In any case the work in exceptional. Not sure about the injector sizing for the holes as I've seen 1/25th builds using brass ferrules with .020 alum or similar rubber line. I'd have figured at least .025 or .035 for your scale but what do I know? looking good bro; have a blessed evening!

Mitch

Glenn... thank you on the engine... its getting there. Will be much better when I finally get more parts i. Final primer and painted... lol I am ready to start assemblying it..lol

Dave... thank you my friend. I am stoked about the new parts and cant wait til they see painted to see how it all will look together.

Art... Hey Brother... thank for the kind comments. Btw I need to get in touch with you. I will shoot you an email

Well fellas I should hopefully have another update in a day or two for you. I am working on the plumbing for the fuel system from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. Some minor details I am reworking on the fuel tank.... basically have to add a supply port and then getting the line and fittints to the fuel pump. Also getting the fuel pump sanded for final primer and paint. I did get the pump mounted to the engine block and so far ai am pretty happy with it.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Ira... Thank you so much.

Ted... Thank you its much appreciated. That verse is one if my favs. I am doing the best I can to replicate as much of the restored car as I can. I am anxious to have more done too it. I have some cool things I am hoping to work on when I get home from work today.

Scott... Thanks Brother!!. I am pretty stoked with the way it looks. I now just need to sand and primer so they will be ready for paint. I can't wait to see the Valve covers, Oil Breathers, Blower, Injector Hat and fuel pump painted....lol. Yeah I have to say that I found it very odd that all of the letters printed except a part of the H. I am debating if I need to see if they will print if I extrude them at a greater distance in the model or If I should try a different font style.

Ok Fellas.... I finally got some bench time in tonight and made a little progress on the fuel system. I worked a little on the fuel pump as well as adding my supply port to the fuel tank..... Something that I forgot to do when I built it way back when...lol But I have to say that I am glad I didn't do it back them because having the fuel pump in hand made me probably do it a little different. Felt good getting back to the bench and I am hoping to do some more work on it tomorrow. Here is a few progress pics....

I first started out by reworking the fuel tank and drilling a few holes for the supply port. And by a few holes I mean I started out with a small pilot hole. Then I drilled it with a 1/16" and then with a 3/32" for the size of tubing I was using. I am using a piece of aluminum tubing as well as a nut from an RB Motion A/N fitting to create my supply port on the tank:

DP-Army-Vega6111-1_zps567b5721.jpg

So this is a mock up of what it will basically look like. I need to glue the rod in place and then the nut in place. I will be repainting the fuel tank since the supply port was the same color as the tank:

DP-Army-Vega6116-1_zps04bbc109.jpg

I had gotten the fuel pump mounted to the block. I had designed the fuel pump to where I could use a bolt to bolt it to the block from the center. I will still need to transfer drill the 4 mounting holes on the base for the bolt heads:

DP-Army-Vega6122-1_zpsbca071ff.jpg

Another Angle:

DP-Army-Vega6124-1_zpsdfd50c72.jpg

And another view, as you can see in this pic I still need to sand the body down of the fuel pump and then reprimer it:

DP-Army-Vega6125-1_zpsbe920e96.jpg

Then I had to do a quick mock up of the line. I am using some soft aluminum rod for the supply line that I will end up adding some heat shrink to it to create the hose. I will also be adding some worm clamps at the ends by the fitting and painting the fittings blue just like they are on the car. I think I will still need to adjust the line a little bit to get everything lined up perfectly but wanted to give you the idea of what I was going for. I should show you the only reference pic I had of the line:

DP-Army-Vega6133-1_zps8b11cc13.jpg

Wow Chris The parts look great and clean up doesnt look to bad either. The tank looks great to.

If I get to head out to the job I will stop in and say Hi. We are putting in a Platform out in the hanger area with some metal shelving under it as a tool/parts crib.

Great work Chris.

I have just come home after a two week trip to your country (Los Angeles CA, Las Vegas NV and a quick trip to Kingman AZ) so I haven't been able to follow much of your progress until now.

Edited by Force

Great work Chris.

I have just come home after a two week trip to your country (Los Angeles CA, Las Vegas NV and a quick trip to Kingman AZ) so I haven't been able to follow much of your progress until now.

And you did not plan your trip so that you could go to the finals???