Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Very nice, no, awesome stuff man. I can't imagine how rough it was packing that chute. What did you use for the spring inside, I didn't see that. Just kiddin, I think that could be a detail left out. This is just awesome man. If you keep at it, you could have this done for DSC. Lookin forward to the next update.

Ray... Thanks... I promise they weren't used Chick-Fil-a bags... haha. One time I went there and asked for a couple of new bags from them.... They probably thought I was weird... haha

John... Thanks buddy... You really need to wear some depends so you can just change your messy shorts :lol:. Thanks for the kind words.

Scott... Thank you my friend.

Brad... Thank you and you know Chick-Fil-a sandwiches are so yummy... lol

Brent... Thank you. I was trying to give it just enough weathering to make it not look brand new... lol. I have a Competitions resins 1/16 Fiat Altered body and its really nice. I need to build it one of these days...haha

Danno... Thank you... Hey now that's KFC... :lol: :P

Joe... Thank you my friend. I can totally tell the difference between the real thing and this one... haha

L88 Chevelle... I wish I could of made an actual chute to pack it with but I just took Kleenex Tissue paper and folded it up and stuffed it in the chute pack.

Clayton... It wasn't too bad to pack the chute with the Kleenex paper but I had mocked it up quite a few times. I was going to say just wait cause I am going to have a 2nd version of the chute pack for when the body is off of the car and sitting on the body stand. I think it should be pretty cool but before I do it I am going to get other things done on this build to make sure it makes it for the DSC. if I don't have the 2nd Version done for that show not a big deal cause I will get it done after the show. Trying to use my time wisely since I only have 2 months left.

Mike... Thank you very much for the kind words

Nikko... Thank you my friend for the nice words. I feel I am starting to make some good progress on things and can't wait to have more done now.

Here is the wholTorreschute Assembly:

DP-Army-Vega%207495-1_zps1vrvfcmt.jpg

Another shot. I stuck a rod in place to keep the chute from opening up and I also weathered the Parachord just a tad to dirty it ever so slightly with some Tamiya Weathering Master stuff:

DP-Army-Vega%207496-1_zpshnlsukpi.jpg

Here is the end of the parachord that I made a loop to mount to the mount bracket:

DP-Army-Vega%207499-1_zpsxs3dbnff.jpg

Excellent update as usual Chris,..a question, the red cord is to attach the parachute to the mount bracket or it will be mounted by the loop of the parachord?

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

Excellent update as usual Chris,..a question, the red cord is to attach the parachute to the mount bracket or it will be mounted by the loop of the parachord?

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

Dave... thank you very much. I may just have to borroe that .3mm pencil from you... ;)

Clint... thank you. The toggle switch was done just to see if I could actually do it...lol wasnt sure how it wqs going to turn out.

Simon.... the red line is 30 gage wire that i used to pull the parachutr chord thru the heat shrink tube to make it easier on myself. I will have to show you the actual parachute mount bracket I made two nights ago. I will try to get pics of it posted when ai get home from work today.

Tim... thank you very much. I am still trying to get a handle on the weathering stuff. My skills lack in that area big time. I would love to do an all weathered build one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon... I still owe the pics of the parachute mount bracket.

Brad... I haven't had much to share lately that's real exciting. I finally got the last coat of clear on the wood grips for the steering wheel done and finally happy with them. Will have to get some pic posted of them. I also have gotten the rims drilled for the RB Motion Valve Stems. Then I just have been working on the body sanding and doing body work so I can get another coat of primer on it and have it ready for paint.

Hey Chris, I experimented with the Caswell again over the weekend. I did the copper on some brass samples and it turned out great. I've ordered their Chrome kit to try that over the brass......when I tried to do them with the nickel overlay, it bombed....no matter what I did.  hmmmmm   Looking forward to your next post!!  Cheers

Brad... I would like to get it done in time for it...but I guess we will see if I make it or not.

Tim... sounds like we both need to experiment a little more with it. I haven't had time to mess with mine. I was hoping to get some updates up for you guys but I have been sick since Saturday evening. I did get some of my parts back from Shapeways and I am really pleased with them. Will try to get some pics posted of them tomorrow.

Randy... Thanks for the kind comments. Well I have to be honest after yet another set back tonight you may not be the only one at the projects underway table. I already lost about a weeks worth of build time being sick and then I found out I have another issue with my blower belt that  has me pretty bummed out and ready to put this build back on the shelf for a bit. The dang Frosted Extreme Detail parts took me about 3 weeks to get and I am realizing that I am not sure if 6 weeks is enough time for me to finish this build. I know I am trying to rush it to get this thing done. I will do what I can but if its not done then its not done.. I will be disappointed but what else can I do.

Well Guys... I don't have much to share that I got accomplished on the car but I can share my latest 3D printed parts that I finally received. Pretty happy with all of it other than one hiccup that I had tonight with the blower belt which means I need to order a few more but I am concerned that with the lead time of the Frosted Extreme Material that It will hold me back from completing this build in time for the Desert Scale Classic here in April. So needless to say I am pretty bummed out and want to put this build back on the shelf. Its become more of a job than fun anymore. Anyway here are a few pics of the parts...

Here are all of the Parts I had Printed in Frosted Extreme Detail Material:

Here is an upclose shot of the linkages for the Barrel Valve, Injector hat and Fuel Shut off Valve. the linkages on the left are in 1/16th scale and the one on the right are 1/8th scale:

Here is the Mallory Ignition box:

Here is the K-Style Barrel Valve:

Here is the back side of the Barrel Valve:

Here is the engagement of the printed blower belt with the crank pulley:

Here is the blower belt mocked up on the engine:

Another View:

Here is the K-Style Barrel Valve along with a new Injector hat and on of the linkages to see how it would look:

Front View of the Barrel Valve:

Parts look great Chris. Too bad your not enjoying the build right now. I know what you mean about it becoming a job. When your trying soo hard to get it done, it's not fun. I'd say put it on the shelf and try to finish for next year. With soo much awesome detail and work, it would be a cryin shame to cut a corner or a few just to get it done because your tired of lookin at it. 

Chin up Buckaroo! 

Those are stunning looking parts, especially the belts.

I can't suggest a fix and I'm sure you already know how it happened. It might not be a bad idea to sacrifice one to make it work, with the exception that it would have to stay and you couldn't put a replacement on there after.

Do what's right for the build and yourself. Manufacturer's delay releases on kits to fix a flaw. No reason why you can't too.

Hang in there Brother.

I agree, if its not fun back away. No way would I rush this to finish it before you feel its ready.

Work at the pace that makes you happy. For me it has to be enjoyable. And I'll get bored easily. When I do I turn out the lights and close the door .then come back when the mood strikes me to .

I might work at the bench for  a few hours a day - everyday for weeks on end,,,then not go there for weeks . But theres no way I can  build at anywhere near the level this car is ,,I dont have that much patiance.

This car has taken on a life all its own and to rush it might sacrifice something  your not completly happy with in the end . Shelve it and work on something else or nothing at all. You can always come back to it later .

BUT , it looks amazing.

I would love to have a few of those K style barrel valves in 1/25th scale ,,,and I doubt I'm the only one .