Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Joe... Thank you buddy!!

Darrell.... Thank you very much.

Bob.... Thank you sir. I have been trying to take each little assembly as their own builds.

Ray... You didn't hear.... This thing is finished.... :lol::lol:....  well the fabrication for the fire suppression system is... haha... Yeah I know I still have a ways to go.

Bob... Thanks!!...  It does need the black wash, then I will be happy with it ;). I appreciate the kind words.

Mike... Thank you. I have pretty much been building this with my opti-visor...lol

Brad.... Thanks Brother!!! I do have to admit that it does feel great to have the fab work done on this. Now it still needs to all be glued together so its not 100% done.

Dave... Thanks... You are so right... one more Item I can check off the list of many.... lol

Tim... Thank you. I am super stoked with the way this has turned out and you know this will be going into the build book for sure ;) . I just hope the build book won't take me as long to do as this model....lol

Chris bottle is amazing as is the whole build !

Just to give you a heads up or club is on again this year for our second show at the NHRA Museum in Pomona and it would be sweet if your able to attend the show with this master piece.

Manfred.... thank you very much. I would hope that this could pass for the real thing.

Dave... Thank you so much. I am getting there, just wish that it would be a little faster though. ... lol

Jim... thanks.... yeah I am pretty sure it's a model ;). It would.be totally cool if it was the real thing.

Seth.... Thank you very much. I would love to be able to make it out to the show at the NHRA Museum. Do you know the date of the show, that way I can get it in my calendar. I will definitely have to try to make it.

Alright Guys.... It's time for another small update. Honestly its not much but I guess I shouldn't complain because it is progress and things that I need to knock off my to do list. I worked on putting some Dzus fasteners on my under seat panels and got a little more work done to the distributor.

I started out with using Dzus Fasteners from Future Attraction. Scott's parts are really nice if you haven't had the chance to use them yet:

Here is a close up shot of the Dzus fasteners after they have been glued to the panels:

I set the panels in the chassis to get an idea of what they will look like when installed:

Next I got a hole drilled into the distributor base to install the wires that will hook up to the Mallory Ignition box, right now I just have the wires pushed in there and not glued yet but I am going to do a test and see if I can mix in some black acrylic paint to the Krystal Klear white glue to see if I can get the white glue to tint black which when glued into place I will purposely have extra around the wires so that it will look like a rubber grommet like on the real part:

Just another angle of the distributor:

Incredible progress Chris. Have you considered using some black silicone sealer for the distributor trigger wires, it can be shaped to an extent if you moisten it after application. Just my humble two cents worth. 

Bob... Thank you. You are right any progress is good because that means I am chipping way at my to do list. The glue I used on them is called Gators Grip. It's an Acrylic hobby glue which is water based sorta like white glue. So I applied glue on the fastener and then placed them where I wanted them after pressing the piece down. I took these Tamiya q-tips dipped in water and removed the excess that was squeezed out around the fastener. Here is what the glue looks like and I will give you guys the link where I got it from. I just noticed they  have a newer version that is called for photo-etch and it is a thinner version of what I have. I would like to order a bottle of it and try it myself.

http://www.gatorsmask.com/gatorglueorder1.html

Here is what the bottle looks like:

Tony... Thank you very much. You know I never thought about using black silicone. I think I have some of it in my garage. I really like the idea and may have to try it out. Thank you for the recommendation

Tim... Thank you. Hope the reply above makes sense with the glue I used. Its really easy and simple and if your not happy with placement of the parts you can pull it off real quick, clean it with water and start all over again.

Darrell... Thank you for the kind words.

Scott... Thank you. You are welcome and thank you for providing us builders with such great products. You should know me by now that I am trying to add every possible detail that I can to make it look real, although it will never be perfect.

Dave... Thank you!!