Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Alright Fellas it's time for an long over due update. I have been a little slow at getting to the bench and been tinkering on the injector lines little here and little there. I finally finished the fabrication of them and got them all mocked up. I started out with using some K&S Engineering .020" Dia. Piano/music wire (which ever you like to call it) and I took some of my mothers metal polish and polished the lines to clean them up. Then I used my drawing that I created from my 3D model as a template to get the bends done on the injector lines. I had cut straight lengths of 1/32" OD brass tube and drilled out the custom nuts that I had RB Motion make for me which would slide over the 1/32" Dia Brass tube. 

The reason I decided to used the 1/32" Dia brass tube and drill out the nuts was to represent an actual Flared tubing. For those that may not know. you have the Flared Tube, a sleeve that goes over the tube and then you have the B-Nut which slides over the Sleeve which seals insures tube alignment with the fitting body axis and minimizes mechanical strain on the tube. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to represent it but I have given it my best shot and I think I accomplished what I was going for. Here are the pics of the progress....

Here is the Start of the Injector lines. Here is my 2D drawing that I am using as my templates:

Here I am bending the .020" Dia Piano/Music wire and over laying it on the templates:

Here are all of the Components making up the Injector lines:

Here they are installed into the Injector hat. You will see that I have installed the 1/32" dia brass tube into the injector hat and then the nut slides over the tube and having a little bit of the tube hanging out from the nut representing the sleeve I mentioned. Then from there the wire is inserted into the brass tube. I think I need to trim the brass tube down just a tad so not as much of the tube is showing:

Bottom View so you can see all the parts:

Hey Everyone... Thanks for all of the comments. I do appreciate them. Sorry but I don't have time to respond to everyone like I normally do but wanted to thank you all.

So I started the Manifold Injector lines Today and have been working on them for about 7 hours today. Still not sure if I am happy with them or not but these are just templates that I made before I make the final ones. I decided to makes templates from .020" Brass Rod figuring that it would be much easier to bend them and get them correct first since Brass is a little bit easier to bend than Piano wire. I had no templates for these as I was doing them with what I will call the eye method. Figuring them out as I go...lol These things sure had me frustrated and saying a few words out of my mouth that I shouldn't of said...lol. anyway I am calling it for the night and going to enjoy watching my Minnesota Vikings play the Packers at their Home Opener of their new stadium. I just wanted to share a little progress with you on what I have been working on.

Here is the Manifold Fuel Lines:

Each piece was individually bent:

Right Side:

Mocked up on the Engine to see how it would look and fit:

[/URL