Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Greg.... Yep better to realize now I forgot the tabs but it wouldn't of been the end of the world if I had to add the tabs after primer but was glad I caught it before hand.

Brad... it was great to chat yesterday for a few. Thanks for noticing a few things and pointing them out. Glad I got those last few tabs in. And yes today is Primer Sunday. I am getting ready to pull stuff out and all I need to do is figure how I am going to hold the chassis while I primer it. I am going to have to rig up some wire so I can hold it while I spray. So I will have some pics in a little while for ya.

Gabriel.... I can't tell you how stoked I am to finally be able to lay some primer down on this bad boy. Yep I will be at the DSC next week and this build will be with me :D . Looking forward to seeing you.

Well I know this Update has been long overdue and many people have been anxious for it. As Brad said it earlier.... it was Primer Sunday. I was finally able to get primer on the Chassis very excited and happy to be at this point with the chassis. I was very pleased with how the primer turned out and was able to notice a few spots on the chassis that I need to fix. No biggie was expecting it to be like that in a few areas since I couldn't totally see with just the raw materials. I sprayed a total of 4/5 coats of primer on it. Now I can start getting to the engine and tinkering with that. Going to get back to the build and start with some engine stuff. gonna even try to get some engine parts primered. I need to break the engine down by taking all of the hardware out and then give the resin parts a nice little bath in the Whestly's white wall bleach. Here are a few of the long waited primer pics. Thank you for looking

This also feels like a big milestone and finally past the chassis rebuild hump.

The very first coat of primer was given in a light mist:

2v2uJyYDtxAhe9C.jpg

Didn't want to bore you with pics of each coat, so here is after the final primer coat:

2v2uJy7pPxAhe9C.jpg

Opposite side:

2v2uJy7RkxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Mike... Thanks buddy.... feels great to have this behind me now.

Dave.... It is finally there bud. Thank you for your help that you provided me with. I know its a shocker that its finally in primer...lol

Bill... thank you man. I am totally excited. There is still some more chassis work in regards to steering and other details but I know I am in need of a break from the chassis. So I will be focusing on the engine for a bit.

Joe... thank man. When you get to that point when you shoot primer, it will be that milestone you couldn't wait to get to.

Rom.... Thank you Buddy!! so happy to have it in primer now. But I will have to admit that there are a few spots that I will be going back with some bondo and touching a few things up that I could not see before. But for now I am calling it good...lol

Keith... thanks man. Looking forward to chatting with you on Saturday.

Richard.... thanks man. Now I can't wait to get paint on it and see how that looks...lol. I have a few cool things I am gonna do with the engine.

Bart.... You can say it its about time...lol I don't think I wanna see another tab for a while...haha. Just wait til you see how I detail the tabs out. I have had an idea for a while that I was going to do but it will have to wait until I get paint on it. But then again I may be able to mock it up.

John... thank you Bud!! I am super excited that I can finally move onto building more of this build now.

Niko... Thank you. I have to agree that it looks good in primer was getting tired of seeing it in bare plastic...lol Stay tuned my friend. I have some cool things I want to do to the engine. I will tell you that there will be various Alclad paints that will be used on it. As well as some other cool details I am planning for it.

So no real big update for the evening. I did pull the rear end out and sprayed it with some more primer. Actually used some red oxide color primer just to break it up for the show this coming weekend. I did start to tear the engine down, removing all of the bolts and it will be ready to get put into the Whestly's white wall bleach tomorrow when I get off work. since it is resin, I don't want to take any chances with the paint and will soak it for a while then give it a quick bath in some dawn soapy water. Stay tuned and hope to have more for you tomorrow. We will see what I can get done.

Chris, SUPERB ! B)

Man, now that it's got an even colour, it shows how much extra you put in, a LOT easier to see in my opinion.

Not saying that we couldn't tell before.... :) but I just did some comparisons with an "old" 1/16 chassis I got laying around.......

But man.......it's like chalk and cheese.......Yours looks a MILLION times better. :wub:

GREAT work buddy.

Greg.... Thanks buddy....I know what you mean. I think it looks better with primer on it too ;) . I Should post a pic of the chassis before and after all of the mods on it together. The differences should stand out big time.

Jack... LOL I never thought of that... haha. :lol:

Danno.... This will definitely be on the Primer table for sure at the show. I can't wait til Saturday for it ;)

Art... Thanks buddy!!! I need to give you a buzz soon to catch up with ya man.

Ok So I did some more work on this build tonight. Didn't get too far but was an accomplishment. I ended up working on the blower getting the front and rear pieces glued to the main body, as well ad drilled out the front piece for the pulley. Then after that I I decided to do an initial primer coat on some of the engine parts knowing all well that I would have to go back and fill some pin holes and things from the resin kit. Plus I was wanting to see some more parts in primer.... :lol: Here is my progress from the night....

Here is where I started this evening, getting the front blower face drilled for the pulley:

2v2uJy7LmxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the aftermath, I first drilled a pilot hole then used a bigger size, then went to final size:

2v2uJy7WRxAhe9C.jpg

Then glued the front and rear pieces on to the blower and then I had to test fit the pulley in the Blower:

2v2uJy7FixAhe9C.jpg

Once I was done with that, it was primer time... Oh Yeah!!:

2v2uJy7jwxAhe9C.jpg

I couldn't resist to not sorta piece the engine back together to see how it looked by setting all of the parts on it. I decided to leave off the bolts for now but I will mock it back up with bolts before the Desert Scale Classic show this weekend. I had Jim aka Micro Nitro machine the pulley's for me and he does killer work. My question for everyone is after looking at my reference pics I am wondering if I made the blower pulley a little to big in diameter. The pics I have seems like it shows it a little smaller. So I am thinking about updating the drawing for that pulley. What are your guys's thoughts and Be honest should it be a little smaller??:

2v2uJyRo6xAhe9C.jpg

Another Primer shot at a different angle:

2v2uJyRKPxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs