Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Ray... Thank you so much. I guess I have set the bar pretty high for myself huh... although not very build won't be to this caliber I am shooting for on this one but there will still be detail...lol

Andre... Tank you very much.

Michael... Thank you. You know I have thought about my next build. Actually I have a list of a dozen or more builds I would like to do. With 10 of them being 1/16th scale. You can me nuts but I have been bitten by the 1/16th scale bug...lol my next builds I may work on a couple at a time so I don't burn myself out...lol I also have an idea for a 1/8th scale build too :B

Dave... Thank you very much. I think you are right that the size came out just right. I think I just got lucky with it...lol

Mark... Thank you so much. I really do appreciate the kind words.

Well Fellas.... I got to the bench for a little while probably worked for an hour or 2 and felt like I didn't accomplish much. I started sanding down the back side of the hatch where the glass was going to go. Then It seemed like it took me forever to figure out where and the best way to mark the hatch for the rivets for the peep hole window. I got the rivet holes drilled but I didn't get the other things done. So tomorrow I hope to button a few other things up on this. I only have one pic to share but the way I am looking at it, I am chipping away at my to do list and accomplished something on it tonight. Thanks for looking....

Here is the hatch with the rivet holes for the window drilled and rivets stuck into place. I will need to cut the rivets length down in size:

DP-Army-Vega4528-1_zps279f2ba1.jpg

Brad... Thanks brother. I have been trying to push my limits on this. Glad you are enjoying fillowing along. I have two ideas for the latch for this and hopefully I will be able to work on them tonight. been sketching ideas on a piece of paper...lol. I have a few chores I need to do first when i get home from work then hopefully get a little bench time in.

Ira...thanks for checking in on this build I appreciate the kind words :)

Henry... Thank you. I haven't had much bench time since last week.

Murphy.... Thank you

Hello Fellas... well I was able to get a little bench time in tonight. got a little done but not as much as I was hoping but I made more progress on the hatch which is good. I really want to be done with the hatch but there are a couple more small things to do then I can call it good. I started adding the lip around the hatch and I now need to add a couple filler pieces, as well as design the latching mechanism and I need to get the glass cut for the slot.

I have to Thank my good buddy and Brother....Mr. John Teresi for sending me some Acetate for the glass in the hatch. What I had was to thick and wasn't working like I wanted to. Thank you again John for the pieces you sent. I will show them in the next update after this one since I still need to work on cutting the glass panel to fit.

I first stared out by adding some support pieces to the side to build the panel up from where I had sanded it down for the glass:

DP-Army-Vega4535-1_zps8ba924de.jpg

I then worked on getting the lip added to the hatch, I am letting the glue dry good before I am going to try and sand the edge down to the height I want since I loaded it up with weld-on #3:

DP-Army-Vega4541-1_zps9135af81.jpg

Another view of the lip. I have 2 spots where I need to add a little filler piece:

DP-Army-Vega4542-1_zps17239a08.jpg

As usual I had to put it on the body to test fit it:

DP-Army-Vega4538-1_zps4c63be42.jpg