Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Bob... Thank you.

John... thanks brother... you know I am trying to make the tins the best I can. They arent perfect but should look good once done. When I get to the point of cutting all of the rivets and installing them....they are gonna be a pain in the butt...lol I cant wait to see the updates on your HH... i will make sure and have some extra absorbant depends on :D

Robin... thank you

Scott... thanks brother. I am really happy with the fix so far. Just a little minor work left and then I believe I can get some paint on them which is pretty exciting to think about because I have to admit.... i am getting burnt out on them...lol

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, Sorry but This is such a I have been so busy with my next project that I have not had a change to go over your latest happenings. I see that you had mishap with you tin. I'am sorry. I know what it is like. It happens to me all the time but like you have done you persevere and you have done a fantastic job on this tin. It looks like it s ready for paint. When you get ready for installing the rivets, are yo going to glue or just stick them in and the hole will hold them? I had bought some for my Vega window which I need to install. Outstanding work and can't wait to see the end product.

Mike... thank you. I think or at least I am hoping to get the tins painted in two weeks or so. I need to finish the last details of fixing things and then get the final coat of primer on it then it will be ready to paint.

Steve... its great to hear from you. Have you been working in another 1/16th scale funny car?? As far as the rivets go I will be most likely be gluing them in. My plan is to use some of micro scales krystal Klear, its a white glue that drys completely clear. plus when unstalling them I can have a wet towel and whioe any excess off right away when the rivet gets pushed into place.

Dave... thank you. You and me bothe on the paint. I need hurry up and finish up the body work on the tins.

Jason... thank you. I feel happy with the way the fix went and think its much better now. I cant wait til that day when thia build is done.

Jimmy... thank you. I feel much better about the tins now. I know I was rushing things the other day and when i mist a bunch of light coats on i dint get that swelling effect. Thank you for the props on my talent but I have to tive that credit to the good Lord above, with out him I am nothing. Oh yeah I went to Napa yesterday to pick yp some of that primer only to find oit they were closed...lol. Gonna swing by there when I get off work today amd pick up a can or two. I am curious to see how it works compared to the plastikote.

Chris, The misting is always a good practice when you get swelling as the solvents flash before they have the opportunity to penetrate previous coats applied and soften them. I feel the problems you were having is trapped solvents or wetting the previous coats without enough dry time. When the solvents soften to deep into the under lying coats it can open up a can of worms. Even if you adhere to best practices Lacquers can be a strange animal. Their are so many variables in the painting process, the key is trying to keep them under control and not let them control you!

Couldn't agree with you more with our good Lord, He blesses me each day! And for that I am thankful!!!

The tins look outstanding!!!!! Jimmy "Rass"

Chris, Thanks for the rivet info, its appreciated. I'am working on couple of 1/16 scale funny cars, The 74/75 Blue Max and maybe either the Keeling & Clayton pinto or the Eastern Raider pinto. I'am not sure which one at the moment.

Jimmy... thank you so much. I can tell you that i am guilty at times of rushing some primer on parts because i want to be able to see what else needs to be fixed on the parts so get them ready for paint. I know those lacquer primers can be a pain at timebur I have had good results with it for years but always have to be careful and some times I am not thinkibg and put to heavy of a coat in at fiest and know I will get some swelling.

Cruz.... thank you for the kind words. I have been a bif fan of your work for a while. I love how all of your builds are very clean. The work is top notch that you do.

Steve.... I am looking forward to seeing these builds. You need to post them for sure. You are welcine in the rivet info. If I can help anymore on it just let me know. I will be posting more info on them once I get to the installation portion of the tins but first want to get them finished and prepped for paint...lol

Ira... thank you. I am trying to make them as real looking as I can. Even teyibg to make them pass for a 1:1...lol

Steve... thank you very much...

Jimmy... i am still in awe of your work.

Ok fellas.... i know I havent posted much lately on this but I have gotten a little more work done. I am hoping to put the last of the bondo that is needed on the tins tonight and in the mean time I have started to work on scratch building a new spoiler for the body. What was supplied in the kit just wasnt gonna do it. I spent a few hours the other night making a template for what I wanted. Started out with a 3x5 card for the template, which then turned into a template out of styrene. Then last night I made the spoiler out of brass and it seemed it took me an hour to scribe the brass. Yes I said scribe....lol. spoiler was made from .010" thick brass. I need to transfer drill the mounting holes into the brass when I get home then i will get some pics up for you. I. Making some slow progress but at least its progress and was a nice break from the tins.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, Thank you!

Looking forward to the update. I know I will go :o!!!!!!!!!!! jimmy "RASS"

I mentioned this quote ( in the primer thread) that I got from one of my mentors years ago with regards to solvent trapping when I was trying to run and not walk. "When In Doubt Wait It Out" I have tried to adhere to these words when ever I can. When I don't more often than not I have a problem. With that I look to the sky and say Tommy Tommy why didn't you give me a sign!

I know the answer!!!! He did years ago! RIP Tommy Langenfeld

Edited by jwrass

Jimmy... thank you. For the waiting itout advice. I havent touched the tuns in a few days and have been working on a few other things. But little more work on the tins and they body work will be done.

Robin... thank you for the kind words. I will have an updste with pics when i get home from work this afternoon.

Well fellas just want to jeeo you posted and have gotten a little bench tine the past few nights. I have taken a small break from the tins to work on the scratch build spoiler. I will have some updates to post when I get home as I didnt get the time to download he pics last night. So stay tuned and I will have some pics up when i get home this afternoon.

Hello Fellas.... Finally got time to get the pictures downloaded. I took a small break from the tins and decided to work on the rear spoiler. I will let the pictures do the talking...

Here is the start of the spoiler. I started by making a template out of a 3 x 5 card:

DP-Army-Vega5454-1_zps8b8fe3a5.jpg

I next made a template out of some Evergreen Styrene and got the mounting holes drilled into it:

DP-Army-Vega5456-1_zps4b134392.jpg

I decided to make the spoiler out of .010" thick brass:

DP-Army-Vega5458-1_zps1460caa9.jpg

Here is the the 2 templates and the spoiler out of brass:

DP-Army-Vega5460-1_zpsa797d074.jpg

Here is the start of me transfer drilling the mounting holes from the styrene template to the brass piece:

DP-Army-Vega5464-1_zpsa67e8346.jpg

Here is the piece once I was done drilling all of the holes. I couldn't believe that it took me 2 to 2-1/2 hours to drill 19 holes....lol, Guess that's how it goes drilling the holes by hand with a .016" drill bit:

DP-Army-Vega5466-1_zps52a0e980.jpg

Here is the Spoiler with the corners rounded:

DP-Army-Vega5475-1_zpsfda649ed.jpg

Here is what the kit spoiler looks like on the body:

DP-Army-Vega5478-1_zps528b47fb.jpg

Here is the new spoiler on the car. I still need to transfer drill the mounting holes from the spoiler into the body:

DP-Army-Vega5484-1_zps674a38bb.jpg