Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Chris,

This is MY opinion only. It looks wrong. and at the level this build is at,,,,,, and considering the time and effort you've put into this one and the time you've put in this one .

me personally I would fix it. Even it you just sand the edge where the white meets the blue on the roof,

Scoot the edge / color separation line  where it goes across the roof back ever so slightly ,,,,,Then change the angle where it comes down on the side of the roof to coincide with the angle of the window tin panel would be a major improvement

Again, This build is WAAAAAAAAAAY beyond my capabilities that I could ever dream to to achieve . So my opinion may be moot point.

Bill.... I completely understand that this is your opinion. I had some else basically ask the same thing in a PM. What people don't know is that I probably have well above 50 hours in the body at this point between all of the painting, repainting, taping and retaping.  The process to fix the window is a little more than just sanding the edge of the panel and repainting the blue to fix the qquarter window. It would involve adding some plastic to the panels edge, then I would have to body work the fixed area... reprimer the body. I would have to respray the underside black. Then the white would have to be re-sprayed , then the blue and re-clearing it. I just don't know if it's worth the time to basically redo about a months worth of work considering I could screw something else up during the process.

Tyrone.... Thanks man!!

Here is a very minor update.... I have started on the distributor cap.

Here is the machined cap and base:

Here I have cute some 3/64" Dia brass tube 1/8" long and placed into the cap:

Here is the cap sitting on the base. More work still need to be done to both:

Ok its time for a quick update.... I have been doing a little more work to the distributor. was working on the distributor boots. They are from RB Motion. Here are a few pics....

Here is the distributor cap with the boots in place:

Here is the distributor mocked up on the engine:

Hey Chris, for what it's worth, no build is perfect. None.  From what you've described, I completely concur that you should just leave well enough alone and see her finished.  You've nothing left to prove on this build and have every reason to be proud of how it turned out so far and have no doubt it will be overwhelming when completely done.  Cheers to you, tim

Hey Chris, for what it's worth, no build is perfect. None.  From what you've described, I completely concur that you should just leave well enough alone and see her finished.  You've nothing left to prove on this build and have every reason to be proud of how it turned out so far and have no doubt it will be overwhelming when completely done.  Cheers to you, tim

Dittos!

Bill... Don't think that will happen. I don't  have enough detail in it for it to fire up. maybe the next one.

Tim... Thank you. I am at the point where I just want to finish this one up so I can move onto the next build.

Danno... I will just be glad that I won't  have to tell you it will be done "Next Year" at the next DSC... :lol:

Ok Fellas... just a quick teaser pics to show you guys. I am hoping to be at the bench most of the day today so we shall see what all I can get done and hopefully I will have some updated pics to share later today or tomorrow.

I was able to get the Chassis Cert Sticker installed:

Ray... Thanks man. You know there are probably some things I forgot to do on this build... :lol:

Brad... Thanks Brother. Thanks for drawing that up for me.

Bob... Thank you. It's a detail that I haven't seen on many builds and I wanted to add that little extra touch to it.

Alright Fellas.... It's time for another update. I got some bench time in today. I started with working on the distributor cap and the Mallory ignition box. got them sanded and primed and then went in a different direction and worked on the butterfly steering wheel. I needed to make the quick disconnect attachment and think I am pretty happy with how it turned out so far. There is still some sanding and prepping to do but I think it should do the trick. Alright onto the pictures....

Here is all of the parts that I started with. Future Attractions 1/16th scale Photo-Etch Butterfly Steering Wheel, 1/32" Dia. Brass Rod, 1/16" Dia. aluminum Tube and 3/32" Dia. brass tube:

Here is the steering wheel mocked up. Now the reason for the Aluminum tube was to use it as a spacer to keep the quick disconnect centered on the steering wheel. The steering wheel had a hole in the center which I put the 1/32" Dia rod thru and then the 1/16 Dia Aluminum tube slipped over that and then the 3/32" dia brass tube over that. I am soldering these pieces together and I purposely used the aluminum so that the solder would n't stick to that and it would get removed:

Here I was using my Pin Vise to hold the pieces together so I could solder them:

Here is the Solder joint after soldering it:

After getting the Steering wheel Soldered up I had to see what it looked like on the steering shaft:

Then I had to go back and make a very small ring to put on the quick release to represent the quick release lever:

I then got the Butterfly steering wheel shot with some Tamiya primer to see how things look and It needs a little sanding:

And here is a close up of it, I can't wait to get it painted black and the wood grips glued on to it:

Wow chris. Loving it.

Just purchased a house so im trying to get my model bench all set up so i can get cracking on my altered, these pictures of ur progress are making me super keen to get something done on mine. 

Nice work mate, looking forward to the next update :)

Bob... Thank you.

Joe... Thanks Buddy. I am trying my best to get as much right that I can all though its impossible to capture every little detail

Brent.... Thank you. Hey Congrats on the new house. I am sure it feels great to get settled in the new house. Get your model bench all set up and get back to that altered of yours. I am digging that build. Not quite sure what I will work on today but hopefully I will have some updates later.