Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Is the routing of the oil line correct where it enters the block ,,,,,,is this maybe an aftermarket aluminum Hemi  block thing ? 

On a steel 426  street Hemi ( race hemi as well ) it enters the block on top right behind where the intake seals to the block ( picture in you mind where the dist is on a chevy engine to give you some idea )

There is a gauge screwed into the passage in this pic to give you an idea what Im referring to here

http://www.hemihaines.com/zupload/user/dewey_scrossramstagevhemi005.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Some fuel blocks had hollow cross bolts bought through KB to feed extra oli to the mains. (Thats why revell fc and dragster kits have the 3 lines going from the pump to the skirt of the block. KB aluminum fuel "stage" blocks are a side oiler design to give mains priority oiling. The passage is on the driver side and has ports tapped and plugged typically. With this design or the hollow cross bolt, you can pull pressure readings from the side like he has it.

*Edit* as a bit of additional info, the block has the be drilled through to the main saddle to use the oil feed bolts. Because kb's are designed this way from the start, there may not actually be a passage on top of the bellhousing like a stock block. Its been a while since I've touched a kb so I don't remember. 

Edited by mr68gts

Dave... Thank you. Thanks for also being excited but I think you can relate to how I feel seeing it come together. I so want all the lines and everything on it so bad but it still has a little work ahead.

Tim... Thank you so much. I am chipping away at it, hoping to have it done sooner rather than later...lol

Mitch... Thank you. I have never done that rust trick but to be honest I am debating if I should add a little more just to darken it a tad.

Bill... Thanks for posting the pic. I had asked a dear friend about this block and form my reference pics it seems as they used an Aluminum Block for the Restored car. So my friend send me a few other pics of some blocks that showed that it had ports at each mains and he said that I could pull pressure from there. I am pretty sure when Prudhomme drove this back in 1974 that it had a cast iron block. I was just back at the Don Garlits Museum over Christmas this past year and on display was Prudhommes Army Cuda which was driven after the Vega and that car in the museum had a cast iron block and it was painted black and I was able to see the port you have shown in the pic. Believe me I was going back and forth on where to plump the oil pressure gauge to because I was trying to get it right.

Paul... Thank you for explaining things a little better for me. I appreciate it.

Dave... Thank you my friend. I am trying to check them off my list one by one.

Art... Thanks my friend. I am getting closer and closer that's for sure and I know the Clock is ticking away...lol. I love the braided line but I think I need to hit them with a light wash. But honestly I can't wait to see all of the lines hooked up, just to see what it looks like.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning Fellas.... I figured it was time for another update on this bad boy and after working at the bench yesterday for some good hours in, I can finally call the manifold done and move onto the next part of the build. Things ended up taking me longer as usual just because I was trying to be careful and not screw anything up while assembling the manifold and lines. Plus I also had to make all of the Sleeves for the B-Nuts on the Flared tube. It's not perfect but good enough for me at this point. I am looking forward to getting to the bench today and making more progress on this build.

Here is a Layout of all of the components of the manifold read to be assembled:

Here is the Manifold Pop off plate with springs and hardware installed:

Here is the Manifold Lines installed in place and you can see the little bit of the Sleeve's poking out of the B-Nuts:

Here is the Manifold Fuel Distribution Block:

Here is the Left side of the manifold line's:

Here it is mocked up on the engine since I wanted to see what it would look like on the engine. I still need to install the manifold gasket on the block and install the manifold for good on the block:

Here is a front view to get an idea of how things look together:

Bob... Thank you very much.

John... Thank you man... You know I am sure hoping that I will get it done before I retire....LOL. You would think I have made a career out of this build.. :lol:

Randy D... Thank you my friend! I have to admit that it is exciting seeing them together and getting to finally get an idea of what the engine looks like assembled. Time is running out and I am having to push hard to get this bad boy done in time.

Dave... Thanks. I am trying to make it the best I can. It's no where near perfect but good enough for me.

Sflam... thank you

John... thanks Brother! I am trying to keep up with all of the awesome builders here. Maybe I will get this one done this year...lol

Joe... thanks

Dave... thank you very much

Tim. ... thanks man. I appreciate you checking in and I am just trying to keep up with you buy ypu are always raising the bar on us...lol

Reeves... thank you. I have been pleased wit how things are turning out so far. I just nice to see things coming together.

Wow! I guess pretty much everything has been said already but I just had to post a compliment, the intake assembly is looking flawless! With each update I'm just wondering even more if this thing is really 1:1 scale instead of 1:16.:lol: Keep up the great work!