Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Sorry Brad, I've got to disagree.......check one of the pics I recently uploaded of Bruce Larson's Camaro USA-1 and you'll see his plate looks about the same thickness and has holes in it to lighten the car. Granted, it's a Rat motor and might not have the hp of the hemi, but still had enough to unleash itself from the frame, you would think with a plate of that thickness.

Chris, this is killer and as Rom says it is so much better in person.

Ain't that the truth! Absolutely killer build, and even better looking in the flesh (so to speak) than images portray!

Gonna be somethin' next year at DSC9 when this baby is done!!

B)

Rom....It was great to hang out with you as well bud. That was a fun day for sure. Thanks for the props on this build. Seeing your Pro Mod has made me want to finish this build so I can finally get to my Pro Mod and join the rest of you guys. You and John have sure set the bar on those pro Mods, as well as others here with their works on progress. I have some big shoes to step into on that build. ;)B)

Jim... Thanks man... With out your parts this thing wouldn't look half as good. I still haven't had time to redo that pulley yet, I have had a few things going on but will get it done soon. I also have another idea for another style of cogs that I will show you as well. All I am thinking is which would look to be better in scale is all.

Greg... Thanks Mate!! Glad you like the that shot of the car. I do have to admit it does looks great. I never would have thought that any of my builds would of been a benchmark. I do feel honored with you saying that. Hoping to possibly do a little bit of work on it tonight. We will see since I need to do some house chores :o ....I would much rather be working on this... :lol: . But I need to have a clean house when the girlfriend comes to visit this weekend :wub: .

Brad... thanks bud. I am sure a few more things stand out in person. I really need to get SLR digital camera to improve my pics...lol. As far as the motor mount plates goe in the front. I am actually thinking of making them out of metal. But would probably be around the same size. I can't remember off hand what size plastic I used but I would use brass around the same thickness.

Mike... Thanks buddy. I sure hope its all downhill from here...lol So far I have 410 hours in this build. Now that I have this build to this stage. I am going to burn a disk this week of the pics for you that I have been promising for a while now. Sorry its taken me so long to get done.

Vince.... Thanks man. I sure hope the long wait was worth it ;) . Trust me I am so glad to have this bad boy in primer, Now I am excited to do even more work to the engine and put some of the aftermarket parts to good use. Once I get more of the motor done I will get a start on the body and cutting the area out for the blower to peak thru as well as other details of the body that I have planned.

Danno.... You got that right that It will be done for the Desert Scale Classic 9, I am hoping to actually possibly have it done in at most 6 months maybe sooner. We shall see. I think it should move pretty good now.

Richard....Thanks man, I am right there with you where I can't wait to get paint on the engine. I just ordered a filter/regulator from one of the paint supply shops I get my stuff from. Since I will be using various Alclad paints on this I need to be able to turn the pressure down on my compressor to be a more precise pressure. Gotta love it that the regulator on the compressor only goes down to 40 psi. I can turn it lower but I am not exactly sure what the pressure is. Anyway, I still have some clean up on the resin motor I will be doing before paint. So it will be getting a few more coats of primer before paint ;)

Scott... Thanks man. I am really glad I decided to do the bead rolling on the side tins. It took a little work and practice but I am happy with the outcome. I am curious how its going to look once I spray some paint on them. Thanks for the kind words as well as everyone else saying its a work-of-art. This will be my best build to date.

Dave... Thanks for clearing things up for everyone. If I remember you told me the size on them a while back and I was trying to make it similar to that.

Bill... Thanks man. I couldn't be happier about the progress I am making. Feels great to be done with the chassis for a while...lol I just hope to get a lot done on the engine soon.

Doing a real great job Chris been fulling this from the beginning. I was wondering where can someone get that printer plate you use? Been trying to get here in Canada all the printing places around here recycle it to get money back and won`t sell me any of it.

John Pol

Kane... Thanks Man!

Tyrone.... Thank you bud.

Mike... Thanks

Art... thanks buddy. Hope all is going well for you man. I need to give you a buzz when I get some time to chat.

John... Thank you. The printing plate that I am using I got from Brad (Gasser59) He got it from a print shop somewhere near where he lives. I need to find a few on my side of town and see if they give scraps away. If I am able to get some I could send some up your way if you'd like. This stuff is great work with very easy to use as well.

Well guys no updates yet on this... I know I am slacking. Just got home from work and I need to finish up a little cleaning and gonna try and get to the bench for a bit later so I can get some more work done on this. keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to put some time in and have some updates for you guys. Thanks for following along on this fun little journey with me.

Art... Thanks Buddy.

Jeffrey... Thanks man.

Well I haven't had much time in the past week to work on this build but I was able to get to the bench for a little bit last night and work on Drilling out the holes in the Bell housing and then transfer drilling holes into the block. After that I test fitted the bell housing to the block using RB motion Nut hardware. I didn't have any scale hardware bolts this size and the RB Motion ones were perfect for the job. My next step is to transfer drill these same holes into the Mid-plate but before I do I need to make a quick little jig to hold the engine at the height I want it to sit in the chassis. I have a way that I am going to let the mid plate float in order to drill the holes in the correct spot as well as making new front motor mount plates. I am actually really excited about this. It kind of came to me last night how I was going to do it and it's one of those things that I have been a tad bit stumped on for some reason. Now I can't wait to get off work already so I can jump back on this and get some more work done.

Here is a pic of the Bell Housing mounted up to the block with RB Motion hardware:

2v2uJyRdYxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks Brad and Dave.... you know I have been tempted to call in sick so I can work more on this. I am letting work getin the way. haha guess i need to work on priorties huh lol ;). I can't wait to get home so I can jump back on this build and get more done.

Chris,

Watching this build coming along and like all the attention towards that 426. I hope the bell housing worked out for you as there were no bolt heads on the casting. Since you are using aftermarket bolts and nuts for this build I thought sending you the one that didn't have them would be more to your liking. Looks great so far. I still haven't finished up the newer style valve covers and if I can wrap them up in the next 2 weeks will that be too late to send them to you? I don't want that to hold you up though. Let me know.

Mark Johnson

Danno... you are right man about being addicted to this hobby and and my love of building drag cars B)

Mike.... Thank you for following along.

Richard... Thanks man, Hoping to have some updates tomorrow.

Mark.... Thank you... I have a lot more planned to give this 426 even more attention B) , There are little details that I can't wait to do on it they will be subtle but will add to the detail factor. The bell housing has worked out great for me and liked the fact that it didn't have the bolt heads since I was planning on using aftermarket bolts on it. The only thing I will need to do is the flange on the lenco tranny from TDR was just a tad bigger than the flat on the bell housing. So I am planning on adding a thin strip of styrene to build the bell housing up in that area and then I will take some bondo and blend it right in. That sounds great on the Valve covers. I don't think I will be totally ready for them in 2 weeks so no rush for them on your end because it won't hold me up at all. I was willing to wait for them anyway as there is a lot of other things I could work on in the mean time.

Well guys I have no update for today. I had a few things I had to do when I got off work and this evening I have been spending time cleaning up my hobby room and closet with all of my unbuilt kits going thru them deciding which ones I would like to keep and which I don't think I will ever build. I still have more straightening up to do on my bench but once I get it all cleaned up I will post pics of the room. Hoping to have it all cleaned up by this weekend. And since I didn't get to work on this build tonight I think I will skip cleaning tomorrow and work on the build.... :lol: I find lately that I am doing more of my building at my kitchen table so I can watch TV while building but I get tired of moving the stuff back and forth all the time. I also think once I get back to building in the hobby room that I will probably get a lot more done if I am working and listening to the radio :lol: . Alright guys until tomorrow.