Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

I have started a new build about a week ago of Revell's 1/16 Scale Army Vega funny car kit. I picked up this kit little over a year ago and have been anxiously waiting to start building it. Decided I couldn't wait any longer and just gonna jump into it. Been thinking for a bit of what all I wanted to do to the kit and have picked up some aftermarket items that I will be using on it. I will be posting progress pics as I go. Hope you all will enjoy the pics. With all that said let me get to it....

The Subject.... Don Prudhomme's 1974 Army Vega Funny Car

FRONT VIEW:

1974ArmyVega1-vi.jpg

SIDE VIEW:

1974ArmyVega2-vi.jpg

THE KIT:

DPArmyVega0011-vi.jpg

The start of the build cutting the frame pieces off the trees, washed with soapy water and ready to get worked on.

DPArmyVega0071-vi.jpg

After putting in some hours and elbow grease on sanding and filing the mold lines. It was time to start gluing the chassis together.

DPArmyVega0141-vi.jpg

Cut away part of the roll cage area to fabricate a new bended piece

DPArmyVega0161-vi.jpg

Fabricated the new piece to go onto the frame

DPArmyVega0171-vi.jpg

After gluing the new piece in place

DPArmyVega0181-vi.jpg

Upclose of Roll Cage

DPArmyVega0201-vi.jpg

I have been enjoying this build and can't wait to get more progress done on it. So far I have about 10 hours put into this build at this point and felt like I was never going to be done sanding mold lines... :lol: Hopefully I will be able to make some more progress this week and will share more pics

Edited by Mooneyzs
Added New Pics

So far I have about 10 hours put into this build at this point and felt like I was never going to be done sanding mold lines...:lol:

BTDT, and I feel your pain. It really is not fun to remove all of the model lines from the chassis tubes, but you just have to dive in and get it done on these kits. I'm sure the Flex-i-files helped a lot! ;)

The one thing I recall not liking was the gap at the back edge of the front 'bumper' ends, as it just didn't look right to me, and those comma-shaped red decal pieces included to cover part of the rear wheel arch flares...those never look good nor fit correctly.

BTDT, and I feel your pain. It really is not fun to remove all of the model lines from the chassis tubes, but you just have to dive in and get it done on these kits. I'm sure the Flex-i-files helped a lot! :lol:

The one thing I recall not liking was the gap at the back edge of the front 'bumper' ends, as it just didn't look right to me, and those comma-shaped red decal pieces included to cover part of the rear wheel arch flares...those never look good nor fit correctly.

Casey you are right it's a necessity to sand these mold lines, only way to make it look good. It was pretty nice using the flex-i-files. made me thankful I bought them many years ago ;). You know I noticed that gap you mentioned on the back edge of the front 'bumper' ends when I had held it up to the body. I know I am going to work on doing some body work there because I can't leave it like that. I was also wondering how those decals were going to lay down with those small comma-shapped pieces they want you use on rear flares. So I am actually considering masking and painting the red instead of using the decal.

Hi Chris I am just getting back into 1/16th scale .Take a look at my Fotki album and see if there is anything I can help you with

Chuck

http://public.fotki.com/ratnasty/

Hey Chuck, thank you so much for the link. Glad to see that there are others like me out there that like the 1/16th scale stuff too :lol: . I will definitely take a look at your link. I do have a question for you, you wouldn't know anyone who would have a Machined Aluminum Specialties part # EFX1440 - 1/16th Scale Early Top Fuel / Funny Car Engine Detailing Kit (photo-etch kit). would you. I have been talking to Terry from Machined Aluminum Specialties and he is currently out of them at the moment. What he told me was his one photo-etch guy went out of business or decided to stop doing that work and he has another company he is working with and hoping that the guy would work with him and not have such a high dollar minium to run his parts. Anyway Terry told me to give him a call middle of April and am hoping he gets good news that he can place an order. All I know is when he does get them in, I will be buying about 4 or 5 sets so I have some here for my other 1/16th scale kits...lol thanks again for your help.

So I am actually considering masking and painting the red instead of using the decal.

I think that's the best option. :)

I was about 14 or so when this kit came out/when I built it, so my skills weren't the best, but I did mask and paint the blue area on the body, and stuck with the kit decals for the red areas. The flares never really looked good to my eyes. :(

And there are plenty of 1/16 devotees when it comes to drag racing subjects, so you'll always have company. ;)

The car looks great I will be following this one. I have that kit and hope to build it some day. If you need anything turned or milled for it let me know.

Thanks Jim, I actually just recently ordered a set of your 1/16 scale turned aluminum rims and they came in the mail a few days ago. Beautiful work and they look great. Can't wait to get them on the car. That sounds great about having you turn or mill something. I was debating on a way to scratch build the rear disk and hubs. I am thinking maybe I will draw it up in SolidWorks and send over for a quote. I need to explore a few options since I don't know of anyone who makes photo-etched disk brakes in 1/16 scale

On another note, does anyone know of a company that makes poto-etched disc brakes in 1/16 scale??

The car looks great I will be following this one. I have that kit and hope to build it some day. If you need anything turned or milled for it let me know.

Looks like a nice start. And a very cool build, i'm work on a old 1/12 build and the rums are coming from MicroNitro he doing some great things. And work on a 1/16 Pro Mod Daytona, Pics on BIG BOYZ. Well keep up the great work and i'll be looking in. Love the big stuff!

Thanks Baddgass, I will have to go check out that Pro Mod Kit for sure. I have gotten on a kick of wanting to build 1/16th scale stuff lately. Little easier to detail being little bigger. Just wish there were more detail products out there.

Thanks Baddgass, I will have to go check out that Pro Mod Kit for sure. I have gotten on a kick of wanting to build 1/16th scale stuff lately. Little easier to detail being little bigger. Just wish there were more detail products out there.

If you like the Daytona, you have to see the 57 Chevy on page 2 of BIG BOYZ, OLDMAN ENGINEER PROJECT 57 Chevy. You will like. :)

Just a little teaser pic of a few of the many aftermarket items that will be goin on this build. I forgot to add a few packages of A/N fittings from RB motion in the pic but will be using them too. I started cutting some of the front end pieces off the model tree. I removed the chrome on the front end parts among the rear end, bell housing and what the kit calls the firewall by soaking all in a cup of amonia. I think I will be working on fabricating the new linkages with rod ends as well as making new mounts for them on the frame and front axle next.

Baddgass.... Very Nice '57 build you have going on there. I can't belive that pretty much all of it is scratch built. Great work.

Paul... Thanks buddy, I can't wait to make a little more head way with this.

Some of the Goodies:

DPArmyVega0281-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks for looking in on some of my builds. You have a great bit of aftermarket part, i have some of all thez part in my shop. You are going to have a bad azz build and you know, i've seen this car run back in the day so i love with your doing, THANKS!!!!!

Edited by baddgass

Thanks again Baddgass, I am hoping that this turns out even better than I can imagine. My dad used to pit on a top alcohol dragster team from when I was 7months old til I was about 12. It's where my love of drag racing came from.

SUPER COOL!!!! ;)

Just a little teaser pic of a few of the many aftermarket items that will be goin on this build. I forgot to add a few packages of A/N fittings from RB motion in the pic but will be using them too. I started cutting some of the front end pieces off the model tree. I removed the chrome on the front end parts among the rear end, bell housing and what the kit calls the firewall by soaking all in a cup of amonia. I think I will be working on fabricating the new linkages with rod ends as well as making new mounts for them on the frame and front axle next.

Baddgass.... Very Nice '57 build you have going on there. I can't belive that pretty much all of it is scratch built. Great work.

Paul... Thanks buddy, I can't wait to make a little more head way with this.

Some of the Goodies:

DP-Army-Vega028.jpg

this is going to be SICK!!!!!!!

Did a little bit of work on this build tonight. Started out making a jig to hold my parts in place. Drilled holes in some strip styrene and have different holes in the jig for different lengths of the rods I am making. I am using RB Motion rod ends and aluminum tubing. Going to mock them up and glue temporary with Microscales Micro Kristal Klear. Get everything test fit onto the chassis since I am making new tabs that will get glued to the chassis and front axle. Once I am happy with how everything fits, I will go back polish the tubes and then glue the rod ends in with 5 min epoxy. Hoping to make more progress on this tomorrow.

DP-Army-Vega035.jpg

Nice looking stuff so far Chris. Always wanted to do a 1/16th scale kit so I'll be following your excellent progress. Are you in one of the local modeling clubs?

Thanks Brad. No I am not in one of the local modeling clubs. I talked to Danno at the Good Guys show and may try and find some time to come out some time. I am planning on being at the Desert Scale Classic for sure. I also have a Front Engine Dragster that I started many years ago. I am working on a paint scheme for the body at the moment as I am building this F/C build. Hoping to maybe have it (the front engine dragster) painted for the Show next month, but it doesn't have as much detail that is going into this current build.

Brad, I look forward to meeting you at the show.

I wanted to share a little more progress I made to this build last night and tonight.

I removed the chrome from the rear end and front end pieces, glued the rear end together. Fabricated a new tie rod, Radius Rods, Forward Drag Link and Rear Drag Link using 1/16" dia aluminum tubing and RB Motion rod end's. Parts on the right were the new fabricated ones and the parts on the left are the parts from the kit.:

DPArmyVega0301-vi.jpg

Up Close shot of the new part. The top 3 parts have been polished and I still polish the bottom 2:

DPArmyVega0311-vi.jpg

Gluing the front axle to the leading links. The next step I plan to modify the towers that the radius rods attach to as well as the tab that are sticking vertical on the chassis for the radius rods. Going to remove them, fab new ones and install them horizontal as in some reference pics that I have of the car:

DPArmyVega0341-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks Derrick...I have some other stuff from RB motion that will be going on the build. All of my A/N fittings with RB motions, I even have spark plugs and spark plug boots for both distributor and spark plug from RB. I am hoping to make some more progress on the build tonight.