Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Bob... thank you.

Danno... thank you.

Dave.. thank you. I hope that they will be convincing when done. I cant wait to mock the brackets up with the bottle when I get home so I can see them together. Thatvis ao true we all have drawbacks when it comea to wherr we live for building.

Hans... oh trust me I have already thought of that. I think that would be a pretty cool add on for display. I need to find some good references of some old shool ones. I sorta remember the starter from the top alcohol dragster i grew up around that we used to be part of the pit crew From the mid 70's to mid 80's it's definitely something I would like to do.

Alright fellas... I have a few things to share with you. I have started working on the body work and been sanding and adding body filler all weekend. I have probably close to 15 hours of work that I put in this body work so far and its not yet done...lol hoping to get it done in the next few days. It will be another hurdle to get past but the good news it that I will be able to get some primer on it when I am done with all of this body work.

Before I show any of the body work I wanted to show a couple mock up shots that I did with the fire bottle:

DP-Army-Vega%207029-1_zpswpyxmdep.jpg

Here I had to toss the Body Tin work on for grins:

DP-Army-Vega%207035-1_zpsf5pgtshe.jpg

Here is some body filler that I have put on the rear body panel:

DP-Army-Vega%207039-1_zpspyqn7x5y.jpg

Here is filler on the roof from a scratch that I had when I was cutting the hatch out on this body:

DP-Army-Vega%207040-1_zpsj4jpx4bs.jpg

Here is the can of body filler and the filler on the front panel:

DP-Army-Vega%207044-1_zpsaxhdfuem.jpg

Here is the front sanded down, what a pain in the butt it was:

DP-Army-Vega%207059-1_zpsadoklxiz.jpg

Here I had to add more filler:

DP-Army-Vega%207060-1_zpswvz9fnwm.jpg

Had to do the same to the other side:

DP-Army-Vega%207061-1_zpsmp8tjbmz.jpg

The roof:

DP-Army-Vega%207063-1_zpsyf1zqhtu.jpg

Here is the inside of the rear panel. I had to use pliers actually Hemostats that held folded up sand paper to be able to sand the filler:

DP-Army-Vega%207064-1_zpswuaxshxh.jpg

Here is a shot of the whole back panel:

DP-Army-Vega%207073-1_zpsprqsrnrw.jpg

Here is the roof again... pretty much all done:

DP-Army-Vega%207076-1_zps4zeybva1.jpg

Here is the whole underside of body, it is just about ready to go. I still have a little more filler and sanding to do though:

DP-Army-Vega%207078-1_zpsxkij32lf.jpg

Here is the rear panel, I still need to clean the openings up on panel:

DP-Army-Vega%207080-1_zpsxow2s6ud.jpg

Great work man. I can't wait to see the body bracing. That fire bottle looks great resting,temporary, at its home position. I'm kinda waitin for you to pull the motor out and install the rotating assembly, valve train and everything else so we can hear it run. The attention your giving the underside is outstanding.

Now THAT'S an update and a lot of putty slingin'. I just picked up a can of Evercoat, but I'm done with putty on the Deora hauler. At least I've got it for the next project.

And Chris, don't worry if it's not in primer by the time I get there. I'll bring a can with me. :P

John.... thanks Brother!! It was alot of tedious sanding for sure..lol trying to make the inside just as nice as the outside...lol

Clayton... Thank you. It going to be nice when i get the body bracing painted as well. The fire bottle set uo still has some more work to go. I need to get the valve body and push button detsils comoleted. I am alsi going to see if the guys in my tooling fab department can machine the mouting brackets for me. I think it would help push it over the top being made from aluminum....lol

Joe... thank you. I have mixed up and slung alot of mud for the body work this weekend. I am so stoked to almost have it comoleted. As I have said my goal is to have it in primer by the time the show gets here in less than 2 weeks now. I cant wait.

Mike... thank you my friend. as you know I cant wait to have it in primer and the tins painted as well as the body support structure's

Brad... thank you. I probably could of had all of the body work done if I didn't slack and be lazy like I was part of this weekend.... lol. I am pretry confident that I will yave this in primer for thr show. Well its my hopes... lol

Bob... I still have to fix that as well. I have an idea of having two seperate parachutes that I will use depend on how it's displayed. One where the chute is packed and another where the pack is open and empty. And for clarity this will just be the first go around of primer in the body. I will expect that I may need to do a little more body work and spray more primer after seeing the shape of it in primer.

Tim... thank you. I have been using this brand of body filler since I was around 20 years old. So a good 19 years now... lol this is way better than any hobby putty's out there In my opinion. Granted this is for use on real cars and I have never seen this stuff shrink over tine. Also since this is a 2 part filler. I can mix it and be sanding it in 15 mins. Not having to wait days like some of the hobby stuff.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Bob... thank you. I do appreciate when everyone does point things out. Not sure if I am trying to accomplish too much with wanting to have the parachute removable depending on how its displayed. For example when the body is on the car (body up or body down) the parachute will be packed. And well ig the body is on the body part i could have the chute packed or I could have the chute laying on the ground and the chute pack open. hopefully I am explaining so everyone can get a visual of my vision. I wanted to pin it in a way that I could slide either assembly on with ease And make them inter-changable This build is getting there little by little. The next week and half is going to be exciting with what I have planned on getting done.

Hey Chris I think you missed a bit,a teeny weeny insee weeny bit, just there by the, oh , hold on, its a speck of dust on my PC screen !!!! :D Ha ha, outstanding as usual mate, true dedication on this build and its coming along fine. Cant wait to see this in paint, ( but hey take your time, ) look forward to more amazing updates........... Lowlife ! ! ( hey my 100th post, jus f` you !! )

You're still knocking it out of the park! The body looks like a model unto itself. When displayed you need a mirror base so everything shows.

This is becoming a tutorial on how to super detail a 1970's funny car.

Mike